• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Kraken G10/Corsair H75 and EVGA GTX 970 FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xXBojddoXx

Hello guys,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my video card (EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked ACX 2.0) with an EVGA GTX 970 FTW, and I'm also want to get it cooled by a AIO solution. Around this, I have a few questions if someone can help me solve them:

1. Should I even consider the upgrade? or just get the water cooling for my current card.
2. I have seen many threads where people say that the Kraken G10 is in fact compatible with GTX 970, but no one agrees about the VRMs location and temps, and weather the location of the fan on the Kraken can cool them.
3. Where do you actually connect everything? I know the Corsair H75's pump would go with one of the fan headers on the MB, and the rad's fans? on other MB's fan headers? if so, would you be able to control their speed automaticaly CorsairLINK?

Thank you guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I posted this up back in April. Maybe it will help answer some of your questions. The Kraken install is very straightforward. The fan will help with cooling the VRMs but if you are wanting a total VRM/next level solution it's best to go full cover block. The difference, if you don't already have a full loop installed, is about $200 vs the AIO solution. I'm still folding and temps haven't varied from my post. And believe me, folding will put the hurt on temps.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-NZXT-Kraken-G10-GPU-bracket-with-Corsair-H50

I posted this up back in April. Maybe it will help answer some of your questions. The Kraken install is very straightforward. The fan will help with cooling the VRMs but if you are wanting a total VRM/next level solution it's best to go full cover block. The difference, if you don't already have a full loop installed, is about $200 vs the AIO solution. I'm still folding and temps haven't varied from my post. And believe me, folding will put the hurt on temps.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-NZXT-Kraken-G10-GPU-bracket-with-Corsair-H50

Thank you Robert17. I think I saw your post before, I according with the pics, looks like you can actually see and control the fans on the H50 from CorsairLINK (even if it is not an "i" version like the H80i). Where did you connect the fans?

Never measured them. I have a set of probes so I guess I could if I so desired but I've had no glitches that would encourage me to do so. Perhaps someone else has tried this, measured VRM temps and would like to offer results?

Ok great!, doing it with the H75 and the EVGA GTX 970 FTW then!

Thanks a lot!

The hottest my memory/VRM got was 80 C (without heatsinks or OC). Check out this post:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/750396-Question-about-throttling

I ended up getting heatsinks and overclocking the card (VRM is about 65 C now, measured with Corsair link cooling node sensor between card and heatsink), but if you don't plan on overclocking then you should not worry about the VRM or memory temperatures at all :)

Last edited:
The 970 FTW has the VRM on the opposite end of the PCB than the fan on the G10.

EVGA-GeForce-GTX-970-SuperClocked-ACX-4GB-GDDR5-%2804G-P4-0974%29-PCB_39736.jpg

Worth noting, these 970's only pull 145W if you're pushing it 100%.
An AIO is nowhere near needed. The heatsinks barely have to run to keep them cool.

Worth noting, these 970's only pull 145W if you're pushing it 100%.
An AIO is nowhere near needed. The heatsinks barely have to run to keep them cool.

That was my first thought. AIO cooling doesn't really buy you much over stock air cooling unless we're talking about the reference cooler on the R9 series. The 970s in particular are incredibly power-efficient and won't benefit much from liquid cooling.

Did you already buy?

That was my first thought. AIO cooling doesn't really buy you much over stock air cooling unless we're talking about the reference cooler on the R9 series.

I would have to disagree, I went from 80 C on stock cooler and speeds to 60~65 C OC with an AIO cooler.

I would have to disagree, I went from 80 C on stock cooler and speeds to 60~65 C OC with an AIO cooler.

On... a 780? You're talking about a GPU that pulls 100W more than a 970...
You also don't mention what stock cooler style.

On... a 780? You're talking about a GPU that pulls 100W more than a 970...

What he said was: "AIO cooling doesn't really buy you much over stock air cooling unless we're talking about the reference cooler on the R9 series"

My card pulls ~130 W less power than the R9 290, why should not the 970 also greatly benefit from a AIO cooler?

You also don't mention what stock cooler style.

I ment reference cooler, not stock, this one:

gtx-780-18b.jpg

What he said was: "AIO cooling doesn't really buy you much over stock air cooling unless we're talking about the reference cooler on the R9 series"

My card pulls ~130 W less power than the R9 290, why should not the 970 also greatly benefit from a AIO cooler?

The closer the temp is to ambient, the less help an AIO will be. The difference in temps between the AIO and the air cooler would best be viewed as a curve, leveling out as you approach the ambient temp of the case.

The reason for this is what happens to the hot air. With the air cooler, it gets thrown all around in the case, driving up the ambient temp and with it, the GPU core. The AIO (especially if you exhaust it) caused almost all of that heat to go outside the case, keeping ambient temps low. The difference between these two methods is more distinguishable when you have more heat being produced (higher wattage cards).

I'll look for a review to verify this, but I have trouble believing an AIO could do any better than one of the higher end air cooler options on the 970. And it almost certainly wouldn't be any more quiet.

I ment reference cooler, not stock, this one:

View attachment 159329

No need to get your panties in a bunch :) We're getting kind of off topic.

If you really think that AIO coolers don't do much over air, very well, we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:
No need to get your panties in a bunch :) We're getting kind of off topic.

If you really think that AIO coolers don't do much over air, very well, we'll agree to disagree.

I don't think anyone's upset :)

AIO coolers absolutely do wonders on some cards. 30-40c drop in some cases with 290s and 290Xs. A reference cooled 290X, g10, and an AIO is an excellent purchase!

I think what ATM and I are trying to say is that with the 970s, their power draw and operating temperature is so low that you just don't need to worry about it. The air coolers on them (the good ones anyway) do a great job and do so very quietly. I have a G1 970, for example, and even in a tiny "cube" case, overclocked, and boosting past 1500 on the core, it still stays pretty quiet (and 80c or less!).

I didn't see much in the way of reviews or even user experience with AIOs on 970s. I did see several instances of people asking about it and it being pointed out that VRM layout on the 970 boards is often incompatible with the Kraken G10, so make sure you look into that for your card if you do go that route.

TL;DR it'll definitely cool your GPU core, just not sure if it'll be worth the added expense with how efficient the 970s are :thup:

Edit: forgot to mention, you also can't add much in the way of voltage to the 970s (at least not that I'm aware). My 80c temp mentioned above when overclocked is with the voltage sliders maxed in afterburner. Another reason it might not be worth it to WC them.

Back