• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with stabilizing and overclocking my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a 6600k for be stable at 4.4ghz what vcore must have?
Every CPU is different. You'll have to test and figure that out. I'd start around 1.35V and see if it works. If so, lower the voltage to 1.3V... try again until it doesn't. Once it doesn't, raise it up a hair and you should be stable.

Every CPU is different. You'll have to test and figure that out. I'd start around 1.35V and see if it works. If so, lower the voltage to 1.3V... try again until it doesn't. Once it doesn't, raise it up a hair and you should be stable.
actually i'm at 1.33, while gaming i haved a freeze with 1.32

I'd keep under 1.42V and the TJmax for that chip is 90C IIRC... so somewhere under that.

What board are you running this on?

I'd keep under 1.42V and the TJmax for that chip is 90C IIRC... so somewhere under that.

What board are you running this on?
many times i read on forums and reddit of people that can do 4.4, 4.5 or 4.6 with a voltage of 1.2x, how is possible?
and another question..
Is it worth overclocking, do you earn anything from video games or do they actually just raise the temperatures?

i also don't remember how set the cpu to default vcore and frequencies for return to stock clocks/vcore

Last edited:
Your silicon might not be as good... or it could be tired because it's an old *** chip.

Worth it is up to you, not me. There are plenty of articles that cover overclocking and its benefits. It just depends on a lot of things. For you, and how old that is, every MHz counts though....so there's that.

In the BIOS, there should be a function button that sets to 'optimized defaults' which returns things to stock clocks.

Last edited:
Started your own thread @djsolidsnake86 .......

How about............

1. List complete system specs. What power supply do you have? How old is it?
2. Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version? If not, do it.

Last edited:
Makes sense why I thought I was somehow sent to a very old thread but no new posts lol.

Going to need more details to know how to help you.

What board, Cooling for example.

Like Earthdog said though if you can't get stability at stock, you have more problems, Defaults and do some stability testing.

You will also HIT a WALL @ 4.9 GHz on the 6600k/6700k. With a good 360 AIO ( I have a EVGA but there are many others ) you should be able to hit 4.5 no problem. OCing is up to you but your biggest limiter is it’s a 4c/4t cpu. I can give more help once I have more system information from you :)

is a risk keep the vcore on auto? the fact is that i can't find a manual vcore for don't have random hard freeze while gaming
if i set the vcore on auto and 4.4/4.5ghz of overclock is a risk?
can i use app like aida and do the stress test and see temps or is better prime95? use of my pc is gaming
what temps are safe for this cpu?

The only risk of setting it on auto is that it overvolts in favor of stability (higher temps). When on auto, what is your load voltage? Can you match that with manual?

AIDA64 stress test(s) are fine. I use CPU/FPU/Cache when using it (memory when testing memory).

what temps are safe for this cpu?
I think that was answered previously.

The only risk of setting it on auto is that it overvolts in favor of stability (higher temps). When on auto, what is your load voltage? Can you match that with manual?

AIDA64 stress test(s) are fine. I use CPU/FPU/Cache when using it (memory when testing memory).

I think that was answered previously.
load voltage is core VIDs on hwinfo?

edit on cpu z core voltage show 1.376V/1.392V using aida
is safe? can i go higher with clock?

edit 2 using prime 95 core voltage arrive at the same, but temps are higher with prime 95

which test is better for rock solid gaming, aida or prime 95?

Last edited:
load voltage is core VIDs on hwinfo?
Yep.

edit on cpu z core voltage show 1.376V usng aida
is safe? can i go higher with clock?
I believe we covered that too. In the same post, actually. Read your thread. :)

To that end.............

How about............

1. List complete system specs. What power supply do you have? How old is it?
2. Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version? If not, do it.

edit 2 using prime 95 core voltage arrive at the same, but temps are higher with prime 95

which test is better for rock solid gaming, aida or prime 95?
Either or, guy. I haven't used P95 in ages and stuck with A64 for my system and it's worked well. You wont reach P95 temps or A64 temps when gaming so it's putting out a lot more stress in that way than you'll ever see in gaming.

Yep.

I believe we covered that too. In the same post, actually. Read your thread. :)

To that end.............

Either or, guy. I haven't used P95 in ages and stuck with A64 for my system and it's worked well. You wont reach P95 temps or A64 temps when gaming so it's putting out a lot more stress in that way than you'll ever see in gaming.
i haved right now a hard freeze during the aida 64 test, the temps was fine (around 70C)
so what is the problem of my pc? memtest86 for ram passed so i don't understand what problem has my overclock

so what is the problem of my pc?
I don't know. We're trying to work with you, but you're not answering some of the questions asked, which makes things more difficult for those who are volunteering their time to help you. :)

So, first...........

1. set everything back to default (instructions also in this thread already) and stress test again. If it works for a few hours, then you know it's your overclock setting. If not, then something else is wrong.
2. Answer people's questions, lol...
2a. List complete system specifications, please....(motherboard, ram, GPU, storage, power supply)
2b. Include your power supply brand, model, wattage, and age
3. Try updating your BIOS for your motherboard to the latest version (instructions for this are at the board's website)

I don't know. We're trying to work with you, but you're not answering some of the questions asked, which makes things more difficult for those who are volunteering their time to help you. :)

So, first...........

1. set everything back to default (instructions also in this thread already) and stress test again. If it works for a few hours, then you know it's your overclock setting. If not, then something else is wrong.
2. Answer people's questions, lol...
2a. List complete system specifications, please....(motherboard, ram, GPU, storage, power supply)
2b. Include your power supply brand, model, wattage, and age
3. Try updating your BIOS for your motherboard to the latest version (instructions for this are at the board's website)
power supply is a corsair ax760
6600k, 2x8gb ddr4, z170 pro gaming from asus (bios last), 4070ti
i must change the cpu by this next year (maybe with arrow lake)
now i set the the optimal settings from asus bios panel and see what happens..
so 2 hours of aida test are sufficient?

Back