• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with stabilizing and overclocking my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You WILL NOT see and increase going to 2400mhz from 2133. You stated that you hit 78c @4.5 with 1.35v BUT the screenshot shows 1.375 requirement for 100% load > are you using a AIR cooler or a AIO and what is it (air)/what size(aio) so we will know the cooling capabilities. In the BIOS set 4.6 and then rerun the stress test this SHOULD put you @ ~ 82c. Anything more that this will cause the CPU to throttle/down speed until the high temp is reduced.
* You have to remember for every + in speed = more power required = more heat generated.
* Increasing the speed of the memory = more power required by the IMC = more heat is generated which is then TAKEN from the MAX speed the CPU CORE can do.
* The NB or Ring Ratio (set to auto) requires xx volts SO increasing the speed = more power required = more heat is generated which is then taken from the max speed of the cpu core.
^^ WELCOME TO OVERCLOCKING ^^ and the NEVER ENDING pursuit on better COOLING for FASTER SPEEDS.
^ The Intel Specification lists the speed of the i5-6600k at 3.5GHz and Turbo to 3.9GHz. From what you have listed 4.5/4.6GHz is the best you are able to achieve with this CPU.

You WILL NOT see and increase going to 2400mhz from 2133. You stated that you hit 78c @4.5 with 1.35v BUT the screenshot shows 1.375 requirement for 100% load > are you using a AIR cooler or a AIO and what is it (air)/what size(aio) so we will know the cooling capabilities. In the BIOS set 4.6 and then rerun the stress test this SHOULD put you @ ~ 82c. Anything more that this will cause the CPU to throttle/down speed until the high temp is reduced.
* You have to remember for every + in speed = more power required = more heat generated.
* Increasing the speed of the memory = more power required by the IMC = more heat is generated which is then TAKEN from the MAX speed the CPU CORE can do.
* The NB or Ring Ratio (set to auto) requires xx volts SO increasing the speed = more power required = more heat is generated which is then taken from the max speed of the cpu core.
^^ WELCOME TO OVERCLOCKING ^^ and the NEVER ENDING pursuit on better COOLING for FASTER SPEEDS.
^ The Intel Specification lists the speed of the i5-6600k at 3.5GHz and Turbo to 3.9GHz. From what you have listed 4.5/4.6GHz is the best you are able to achieve with this CPU.
air cooler
in effect is strange that cpuz show more voltage

With an air cooler - your max is 4.5GHz. This is because of the heat/temp of 78c. I do not know if the stress test you used runs AVX as this requires more power. If you have the cpu voltage set to auto in the BIOS = it needs 1.35v to boot and run BASIC programs. It needs 1.375v to run programs that require 100% usage.

With an air cooler - your max is 4.5GHz. This is because of the heat/temp of 78c. I do not know if the stress test you used runs AVX as this requires more power. If you have the cpu voltage set to auto in the BIOS = it needs 1.35v to boot and run BASIC programs. It needs 1.375v to run programs that require 100% usage.
actually i have set to 1.35, but cpuz during a stress test show 1.376v
for this i say that is strange, max should be 1.35 also in cpuz

actually i have set to 1.35, but cpuz during a stress test show 1.376v
for this i say that is strange, max should be 1.35 also in cpuz
It is not strange. Software readings are notorious for being inaccurate. Confirm through another program like Coretemp or Hwinfo. Did you use LLC? That can increase load voltage too...

So....... how'd your testing go?

Last edited:
It is not strange. Software readings are notorious for being inaccurate. Confirm through another program like Coretemp or Hwinfo. Did you use LLC? That can increase load voltage too...

for now seem all ok, if i will have freeze or crashes i will wrote again here

haved a hard freeze right now while i was installing a update for a game, how is possible? the cpu was not stressed in this situation
in these days i played cyberpunk 2077 with no freeze, and now a freeze while installing a thing
this is very strange
when happen these type of freeze, the pc become freezed with no blue screen or errors
also the pc won't restart with restart button
must press the power button for 5 seconds about for turn off totally

could be a ram issue or a cpu issue?

Last edited:
could be a ram issue or a cpu issue?
No clue. Since you changed multiple things and haven't tested at stock yet, it's tough to tell. It could be your OS or storage going bad, even.

So, again.... reset EVERYTHING to stock. That means leave the memory at 2133 and the CPU voltage/multiplier on AUTO. Run your PC.

If it happens again, we know it wasn't the overclock settings and need to test more.

No clue. Since you changed multiple things and haven't tested at stock yet, it's tough to tell. It could be your OS or storage going bad, even.

So, again.... reset EVERYTHING to stock. That means leave the memory at 2133 and the CPU voltage/multiplier on AUTO. Run your PC.

If it happens again, we know it wasn't the overclock settings and need to test more.
ok i'll try first the 2133 on ram and see if is the ram

do you know if the blue screen of death is always related to low vcore when doing overclock?

Depends on what the message is from the BSOD.
i had another hard freeze with memory at 2133mhz, so is not xmp
is the overclock on cpu
by setting vcore on auto and default frequence, i see on hwinfo a max vcore of 1.30
seem that my cpu need high vcore by default sadly
i will use auto vcore/frequence fow now

Is it? You(we) have no idea. You can play with voltage, or put everything back to stock to be sure.
Today after 14 days with no freeze, i had a freeze with unpacking a game, i remember that the previous freeze was when unpacking a update on a game
My cpu is not overclocked anymore, only ram was at 2400mhz with xmp 1 enabled
So what can be caused this issue i have? The ram? I must lower to 2133 even if is a 2400 ram?

Back