• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with stabilizing and overclocking my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for some information. Power supply is a good model. How old is it, though?

Ok. You will need a brand new system, you know that, right? :)

For now, yes.
i bought it in 2015
yes, i'm waiting for arrow lake, but in the mean time a stable oc for 6600k is not a bad idea, is a good cpu for many games also today

I doubt its the power supply, but it is getting a bit old (8 years). I'd get a new power supply with your new system next year, personally.

6600k and it's 4c/4t is good for old games, but most titles, even from a few years ago, will put a glass ceiling on FPS because of the core/thread count, especially if you play at 1080p. It came out over 8 years ago... thats a LONG time when talking PCs.

I doubt its the power supply, but it is getting a bit old (8 years). I'd get a new power supply with your new system next year, personally.

6600k and it's 4c/4t is good for old games, but most titles, even from a few years ago, will put a glass ceiling on FPS because of the core/thread count, especially if you play at 1080p. It came out over 8 years ago... thats a LONG time when talking PCs.
i know!
do you think that xmp on rams activated could cause the freeze?

So, disable it and see.............................. :)

You're running everything bone stock now... so if it freezes, you have a different problem.

So, disable it and see.............................. :)

You're running everything bone stock now... so if it freezes, you have a different problem.
for find the right vcore i must set the one that is see on cpu z when i do a stress test?
Post magically merged:

IMG_20231002_202620.jpg
This is the setup with asus optimal settings (a little overclock is this settings)
I dont understand why it set the ram to 1.35v while they are rated 1.2v at 2400mhz
For the vcore what ia offset mode +?

Last edited:
for find the right vcore i must set the one that is see on cpu z when i do a stress test?
No.

You're testing it at stock, which means don't touch a thing (after setting optimized defaults, saving, and rebooting). Capisci? :)

This is the setup with asus optimal settings (a little overclock is this settings)
I dont understand why it set the ram to 1.35v while they are rated 1.2v at 2400mhz
For the vcore what ia offset mode +?
It doesn't look like you saved anything. Optimized defaults shouldn't be running an offset and custom voltage for the RAM. There is an "F" key to set optimized defaults in the bios. once you say "yes" to that, you must SAVE THE SETTINGS and then exit.

These settings are optimized asus for overclock, they call asus optimize but is asus optimize overclock
1.35v on ddr4 ram is safe?

Last edited:
No.

You're testing it at stock, which means don't touch a thing (after setting optimized defaults, saving, and rebooting). Capisci? :)

It doesn't look like you saved anything. Optimized defaults shouldn't be running an offset and custom voltage for the RAM. There is an "F" key to set optimized defaults in the bios. once you say "yes" to that, you must SAVE THE SETTINGS and then exit.
as said earlier, i want do a little overclock

as said earlier, i want do a little overclock
But you're not stable with anything overclocked. We're trying to make sure that everything is OK at stock settings. Once we confirm that, then we can try our hand at overclocking again.

These settings are optimized asus for overclock
Just to be clear, while in the BIOS, you're hitting F5, selecting OK, saving it, and rebooting? After that, you're still seeing an offset and manually set DRAM voltage??

But you're not stable with anything overclocked. We're trying to make sure that everything is OK at stock settings. Once we confirm that, then we can try our hand at overclocking again.

Just to be clear, while in the BIOS, you're hitting F5, selecting OK, saving it, and rebooting? After that, you're still seeing an offset and manually set DRAM voltage??
that option is default, and all settings return to default

Ok.. then stress test it for a couple of hours at these default settings. If that works... play games for a while.... if that works, then, from what we've heard so far, your memory may have an issue running XMP.

Ok.. then stress test it for a couple of hours at these default settings. If that works... play games for a while.... if that works, then, from what we've heard so far, your memory may have an issue running XMP.
memory are corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz
Post magically merged:

i'm doing a stress test now 4.5ghz, 1.35v
and ram 2400mhz 1.35v
after 30 minutes all ok, cpu temp around 70C (max 78C)

Last edited:
memory are corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz
Post magically merged:

i'm doing a stress test now 4.5ghz, 1.35v
and ram 2400mhz 1.35v

Do me a favor... Post screenshots of CPUz... show me the CPU, Mainboard, Memory, and SPD (that displays your memory) tabs like I am below. Please.

cpuz.jpg

Cool. Thanks.

I thought you were testing at stock to see if everything works there first...? You're changing too many things at once to know what went wrong.
in case i will do more tests
do you suggest to keep ram at 2400 or 2666?

in case i will do more tests
do you suggest to keep ram at 2400 or 2666?
I suggest STOCK. which means not using XMP on the RAM (nor overclocking the CPU, but you doing your own thing there, lol). STOCK.

Again, you're spinning your wheels if you don't know it doesn't work with everything at stock speeds. You'll never know if it's the memory or an unstable overclock without getting a baseline.

I suggest STOCK. which means not using XMP on the RAM (nor overclocking the CPU, but you doing your own thing there, lol). STOCK.

Again, you're spinning your wheels if you don't know it doesn't work with everything at stock speeds. You'll never know if it's the memory or an unstable overclock without getting a baseline.
at stock with xmp off ram goes at 2166, and these are 2400mhz rams

Back