• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 7k250 mini-review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larva

Inactive Moderator
I just bought a new hard drive, a Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 7k250. This is the newest version of the Deskstar line, replacing the earlier Deskstar GXP180. This drive is available in 100MB/s PATA and as 150MB/s SATA versions. It comes in 40, 80, 120 160, and 250GB versions, differing in the number of platters used. Both 2MB and 8MB cache versions exist, but to date all the ones I've seen for sale are 8MB models.

Full specs for the Deskstar 7k250 series are found at:
http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.ns...6256CE800718F09/$file/HGST_Deskstar_7K250.PDF

I bought the 80GB-8MB SATA version, model #HDS722580VLSA80.
It was $97 shipped from newegg.

7k250_1.jpg

7k250_2.jpg

7k250_3.jpg

This drive features both SATA and legacy 4-pin molex power connections. The tiny connector in the center is the SATA data connection. I used the legacy power connection, and tested the drive in my PC in its current state, preserved for posterity here:

Abit IS7-E i865pe motherboard
P4-1.8a at 3.42GHz
1GB DDR SDRAM
Win2k SP3/NTFS

Glad to use one of the SATA cables that came with my IS7, I hooked it up to one of the two SATA channels integrated into the Intel ICH5 southbridge. Since the connect to the southbridge is 266MB/s this provides the bus capacity necessary to realize a 150MB/s transfer rate across the interface.

Note- If you are using ghost to transfer your data to your shiny new SATA drive, you must use the -fni switch on the command line in order for it to work with the SATA controller implementation on the Intel chipset motherboards. (a:\ghost.exe -fni)

These drives use FDB (fluid dynamic bearing) motors, and are very quiet in both spin and seek noises. Completely inaudible in my machine, and nearly inaudible period. Very nice.

Performance is very snappy. My machine is much more fun to use with this drive than with the 60GB 8MB 7200rpm WD drive I have had for some time. It responds to the click noticeably quicker, and I have been aware I was waiting on the WD's middling seek performance at every click for some time. The Deskstar offers a cost effective way to increase realized OS responsiveness and application performance with low noise and reasonable cost per/MB. The obvious alternative, the 10,000rpm WD Raptor, is a 36GB drive costing $117 at present, and while a tiny bit faster than the Deskstar, is louder.

Here is a look at the HD tach performance of the Deskstar vs the 60GB WD SE drive:

WD 600JB
hdtachwd600jb.jpg

HGST 7k250
hdtach7k250.jpg

The higher data density of the Deskstar (80GB/platter vs the 40GB/per platter of this WD) shows up in the sustained data transfer rate. The Deskstar averages 7MB/s more over its capacity than the WD does.

The reported seek advantage of 12.7ms for the IBM vs. 13.1ms for the WD is misleading. In practice the seek time and response of the IBM drive is noticeably better. The newer WD SE drives with 60GB platters is nearly the equal of the IBM. Both drives burst transfer in excess of 80MB/s.

PCMark 2002 w/7k250
2k2.jpg

PCMark scores for the WD hover in the 1050 range.

So overall the Deskstar 7k250 offers an inexpensive and cool running disk drive (at least in the 80GB version) at a reasonable price that is also quiet and the fastest of the 7200rpm drives. Capacities up to 250GB make it suitable for a lot of users. Unfortunately price rises to slightly over 300 for the 250GB version, but if you don't need that kind of capacity you can get the same performance and quality for less than 100 bucks in the 80GB version. All in all, very easy to recommend if you value noise, cost, and capacity over the tiny performance improvement the Raptor brings.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=13G025

yeah, sweet review...

i had always wanted two 36gb raptors for raid...but now the higher cost, lower capacity, and noiser operation of the raptor makes me think i could get better overall performance with the IBM...

very tempting...

i thought ibm deskstars were very unreliable...? or is that for an older model?

Deskstar GXP75s were a bad series of drives. That was four drive generations ago, and every maker has made one or more unusable series of drives. Current Hitachi products like the 7k250 are as reliable as anything else.

dustybyrd said:
yeah, sweet review...

i had always wanted two 36gb raptors for raid...but now the higher cost, lower capacity, and noiser operation of the raptor makes me think i could get better overall performance with the IBM...

very tempting...

I was intent on buying a Raptor as well, but there is a new generation Raptor iminent and I didn't want to spend my money on an essentially obsolete drive.

In the latest PCMagazine (I believe) they tested Athlon FX51 rigs, two with Raptor RAIDS and one with 250GB 7200rpm drives in RAID. The 7200rpm-equipped machine won... I'm guessing those 7200rpm drives are 7k250s.

Thanks for the review, I was trying to find some more info about this drive, wasn't really that much on the net.

Hopefully I can find this in Canada soon...my 2 10 gig Fujitsu's aren't really cutting it anymore in terms of storage.

hey larva,

you have convinced me to try this drive...except i have to get the non-SATA version and i will try the 160gb version for $148 at newegg...i noticed that the non-SATA 80gb version has only 2mb cache instead of 8mb...

anyway...i was wondering if i have to do anything special to get windows XP pro to recognize this large capacity drive...

i thought that windows couldn't address a drive larger than 137gb or so without some tinkering, is that true?

if so do you know what i have to do?

Last edited:
That 160GB drive is indeed 8MB buffer. This is good for two reasons--the extra cache really helps performance and only the 8mb models carry a three year warranty. Here are the specs from Hitachi's site for that drive:

Hard drive Name: Deskstar 7K250
Model number: HDS722516VLAT80

Part number: 08K1880

Capacity: 160GB

Interface: ATA

Interface variant: Ultra100

Form factor: 3.5"

Cache size: 8 MB

All you need for XP to support >137GB drives is SP1.

That 160GB drive is indeed 8MB buffer. This is good for two reasons--the extra cache really helps performance and only the 8mb models carry a three year warranty. Here are the specs from Hitachi's site for that drive:

Hard drive Name: Deskstar 7K250
Model number: HDS722516VLAT80

Part number: 08K1880

Capacity: 160GB

Interface: ATA

Interface variant: Ultra100

Form factor: 3.5"

Cache size: 8 MB

All you need for XP to support >137GB drives is SP1.

thanks a million for this review...

i have gotten the 160gb version and i anxiously await it...

These drives look so tempting, then again I like the 5 year warrenty on the raptors :)

These drives look so tempting, then again I like the 5 year warrenty on the raptors :)

i got one of those as well to try out and compare...i needed two drives...one for work and one for home (the 160gb will be for home for movies and such)

the problem is the size on 36gb...but at about $110 right now at newegg...that's a pretty good deal if you don't need a lot of space or you want a fast OS drive...

other problems--that i haven't experienced yet but i have read about--with the 36gb WD raptors is the extra heat and noise they generate...

the home dual system is crowded and generates a lot of heat, so the 36gb raptor in that system might not make much sense as far as noise or heat....however, in the work machine neither of those issues matter...

for a quiet, cool and fast home hard drive...the new IBM's might just be the best choice

Well right now I'd be looking at the newer 72gig Raptor when that comes out. But the 7k250 sounds good for possibley my gaming/higher accessed drive. Since I have a 160gig I use for major storage and DVD Backing up (only 5200 RPM :( ) Then again if the price is right might as well upgrade since I'm sure I could use a nice 8meg cache instead of this 2meg cache.

Yea please post your results on the findings between the 2 drives dustybyrd. It would be nice to know what the difference in speed and such is between the 2 drives.

Then again if the 72gig raptors (which are suppose to be better then the originals) are at a good price, might as well grab 2 of them.

Great job. Thanks for the review. Unfortunately my 40gig ibm desktar has some bad clusters but at least it will give me an excuse for a speedier upgrade. =)

Back