• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Long Can the Scalpers Keep it Up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
It's one thing to use bots and organized scalper groups to buy up every Playstation 5 on Earth at $499 0r $399 a pop... but how long can they keep up buying out all the $400 - $1200 video cards?

Between the graphics cards and the PS5 systems... something's gotta GIVE.

So what's going to give?

As long as people are unwilling to wait for retail and pay these ridiculous prices. They can only profit from individuals willing to pay.

This. At this point I don't blame the scalpers, I blame the people buying the stuff.

But who are these people? Do they really exist?

Who in their right minds is going to pay $1000 for the 2060 Super that I paid $275 for... brand new?

Surely nobody?

I'm just saying that... at some point... this business model simply can NOT be sustainable. Not unless they're selling all these cards as fast as they can get 'em. Which I simply find hard to believe at 1000-3000 bucks a pop. There aren't that many diehard lunatics... with money at least... in the world.

So I kinda DO blame the scalpers. They MUST be scalping and hoarding. There's no other way.

Sorry but there are people right here on this forum that have bought from scalpers.

Right now my $400 XFX 5700XT Thicc III is selling on eBay for at least $800 save for some seller who listed a buy it now of $599. Thats crazy. This isn't even a scalping worthy card. Does XFX even produce this card anymore?

I wanted a $500 3070 FE, ended up with a $759 3080 MSI Trio. More than I wanted to spend BUT at least I was getting more performance for my money. These guys are just screwing themselves. Eventually supply will come back and guys who paid $800+ for a 3070 are going to realize an instant several hundred dollar loss. And if Tis hit the market and replace nonTis... they might take another hundred or so dollar hit.

I think it's people who have money burning a hole in their pocket. Bad money practices, period.

Right now my $400 XFX 5700XT Thicc III is selling on eBay for at least $800 save for some seller who listed a buy it now of $599. Thats crazy. This isn't even a scalping worthy card. Does XFX even produce this card anymore?

I wanted a $500 3070 FE, ended up with a $759 3080 MSI Trio. More than I wanted to spend BUT at least I was getting more performance for my money. These guys are just screwing themselves. Eventually supply will come back and guys who paid $800+ for a 3070 are going to realize an instant several hundred dollar loss. And if Tis hit the market and replace nonTis... they might take another hundred or so dollar hit.

I think it's people who have money burning a hole in their pocket. Bad money practices, period.

But surely there was no shortage of 2060 Super supply? (They were all OVER the damned place when I bought mine. Could've got one from whatever store I wanted.) Or 5700XT cards? I mean they were, quite literally, EVERYWHERE.

I can't quite understand how all the RTX cards in the entire world... (and the GTX 1600 or 1650 or whatever it is) were bought out. I don't even know how that's possible.

The cynical part of me would say that only the graphics card manufacturers themselves (and Sony with the PS5) could pull that off. In Sony's case they were selling at a loss. So the most evil thing I can think of is them just buying their own consoles back and then selling them at a profit. Maybe the graphics cards makers could do the same. (They've already jacked up their prices.)

Anyway... I'm happy I bought everything that I needed at the BEGINNING of the Pandemic. (Even picked up an Xbox Series X just as a personal middle finger to Sony.)

I would hate to have to deal with all this insanity. The one positive side benefit is that hard drives are cheaper than ever since no one is paying attention to those. I've been stockpiling them. Soon I hope to have enough space to last me a few years.

Once supply is there, no more Scalping. People want these cards...both nvidia and amd.

Simple concepts of supply and demand here. ;)

But surely there was no shortage of 2060 Super supply? (They were all OVER the damned place when I bought mine. Could've got one from whatever store I wanted.) Or 5700XT cards? I mean they were, quite literally, EVERYWHERE.

I can't quite understand how all the RTX cards in the entire world... (and the GTX 1600 or 1650 or whatever it is) were bought out. I don't even know how that's possible.
Don't forget about mining. That started to be worth it for even the little people so any card that was remotely worth it was gobbled up. BTC is worth like $50k per now... was at 10k several months ago. So between a shortage of product due to unprecedented and unanticipated demand (gaming and mining)....here we are.

Last edited:
@rainless, what is your beef with Sony? At least in the states they are both very difficult to find because of bots and scalpers?

I went with a ps5 (and ps4 last gen) because the exclusive games would be coming there, but the xbox exclusives also came to pc.

Who in their right minds is going to pay $1000 for the 2060 Super that I paid $275 for... brand new?

Surely nobody?

I'm just saying that... at some point... this business model simply can NOT be sustainable. Not unless they're selling all these cards as fast as they can get 'em. Which I simply find hard to believe at 1000-3000 bucks a pop. There aren't that many diehard lunatics... with money at least... in the world.

So I kinda DO blame the scalpers. They MUST be scalping and hoarding. There's no other way.

None of them are on this forum, my RTX 2060 has not sold at half of that...:rain:

Rainless, you live an ocean away. Things there won't be the same here.

AMD and Nvidia slowly tailed off production of older gen cards. I was considering another 5700xt to mine and it was generally sold out of priced above MSRP. This was before the release of the 3070/80.

Those super cards shot up in price also. Had a friend's buy 1660 something for over $300 at Best Buy. Told him return it and get a 3 series card.

If a 5700xt cost $400 and a 3060ti cost $400 which would you want to buy. Same price but one is faster and has 1 year newer technology.

Remember because you think one way does not make it the only way to think. I apply that same statement to myself quite often.

Was building a new comp for my friend and got to the GPU page and started to realize WTF!!!!! Pandemic, bots, short supplies, people at home too much, stimulus money, BTC/ETH mining has skyrocketed the prices of everything worthwhile. I saw I could sell my 1080ti on ebay used for like $700 the other day, wait, what???????

I told him to either pay extra, or suck it up and try to pick out stock from somewhere. He'll probably end up overpaying because the options really are crap.

Surely nobody?

2 weeks ago I sold Sapphire Vega56 Pulse for ~$700. I paid for it around ~$300 (inc 23% VAT), about 1.5 years ago. The card had no warranty and a modified backplate. There were around 25 people asking for it about 1h after I set the auction.

In the EU, every single RTX3070 for around ~$1.2k is selling in like 15 mins. I bought ASUS TUF RTX3070 from a retail store for ~$750 (inc 23% VAT) in Nov last year and back then I thought it's expensive. About a month ago these cards were for ~1.2-1.3k and I thought it's already a ridiculous price. Right now people buy them for ~$1.5k. Even for BTC miners, this is just a stupid price as they have to mine ~6-7 months to get it back.
I have 2 RX6800XT right now, in two different rigs (RTX3070 has my brother). One I bought around November last year for ~$1.1k, the other one cost me ~$1.3k about a month ago (all inc 23% VAT). While I was buying the first card then their prices were about $1.3k. When I was buying the second one then most stores had it for around $1.6k. Now you can find them for $2k+. The bigger problem is getting one as most big stores in the EU, get 1-5 RX6800XT cards per month. So I count myself as very lucky that I saw them on time and instantly ordered.

Now you can check how the prices of some other "gaming" PC components went up. New motherboards are up to 30% more expensive (or you will see the prices soon) than the last generation for the same target users. Only Intel processors went down because Intel didn't want to lose market shares. Everything else is going up because people are willing to pay so much money. There are pre-orders on $1k motherboards. Who needs that when lower models give about the same and cost $300? Think that in Poland people have in average 1/3 income as in western EU countries or in the US. People here buy as much, if not more than in these other countries. This is insane when most of those who buy $1k+ graphics cards (even excluding miners) have monthly income at about ~$700. I had to sell a lot of older hardware to cover my graphics cards but most others have nothing to sell.

So... what I'm hearing... is that I should've really, REALLY bought this 3080... even though I didn't want it?

1_3080_shelf.jpg

...or ALL those cards, basically... every one on the shelf.

Rainless, you live an ocean away. Things there won't be the same here.

AMD and Nvidia slowly tailed off production of older gen cards. I was considering another 5700xt to mine and it was generally sold out of priced above MSRP. This was before the release of the 3070/80.

Those super cards shot up in price also. Had a friend's buy 1660 something for over $300 at Best Buy. Told him return it and get a 3 series card.

If a 5700xt cost $400 and a 3060ti cost $400 which would you want to buy. Same price but one is faster and has 1 year newer technology.

Remember because you think one way does not make it the only way to think. I apply that same statement to myself quite often.

I'm an ocean away... and you're in DEEP... PAIN. What happened to the Frys???

Same thing is happening over here now. You can not buy *A* video card in Germany.

It's a much smaller world than you think these days.

From watching/reading random things on the internet some people in other parts of the world are claiming the have availability. I am sure ever country has different supply and demand.

You mention buying everything on that shelf. If you game or mine I get doing that. Problem is that scalpers are doing that and reselling. Basically stealing someone else's chance to buy one at retail. Luckily cards are still out there. It is harder to find them since Newegg went to the shuffle system here in the US.

I'm thinking these cards are under priced. What is happening is that scalpers are selling at prices just below people pain point. The 3080 replaced the 2080Ti in the line up. One had a $700 MSRP and the other $1200. In the back of people's mind they are thinking that 3080 is a $1200 card and justifying it. That's also why with recent price and tariff hikes people are still buying these with aplomb.

From watching/reading random things on the internet some people in other parts of the world are claiming the have availability. I am sure ever country has different supply and demand.

You mention buying everything on that shelf.

I was (obviously) being sarcastic. I took that photo last December... that shelf doesn't even exist anymore. And when it did... I couldn't even afford the 3080 at the 850 euros or so it was going for. (Matter of fact... I just saw that exact same shelf today... there's a 1050ti on it... that is all.)

I'm thinking these cards are under priced. What is happening is that scalpers are selling at prices just below people pain point. The 3080 replaced the 2080Ti in the line up. One had a $700 MSRP and the other $1200. In the back of people's mind they are thinking that 3080 is a $1200 card and justifying it. That's also why with recent price and tariff hikes people are still buying these with aplomb.

Well now the MANUFACTURERS are thinking they were underpriced... but they were actually priced correctly. Besides scalpers... the price of literally EVERYTHING pc-related (CPUs... RAM... motherboards... an especially hard drives...) is way down. I remember when my mother first visited Germany in 2016... the price of a 500GB Sandisk Ultra SSD was 155 bucks. Now you can almost get a 2 TB SSD for that. And I paid practically nothing (early days of pandemic... when people were only scalping hand sanitizer) for my current motherboard, CPU, and RAM (and a 750 watt power supply I haven't even opened.)

So to me... it seems the price of components, overall, is going down... not up.

As further evidence of this:

PXL_20210312_152952739.jpg

I bought that (off the shelf... 499... today) more as a reflex than anything else.

Figured maybe I could trade it for something I wanted more and... if worse came to worse? Miles Morales.

Well Germany is SLOWLY coming out of a looooong.... loooooooong lockdown. Stores are beginning to open up. PS5 stock is improving. Ebay prices are going DOWN.

Even a week ago you could easily get 1500 bucks for a PS5. Now people are struggling to get 690.

As video card supply improves... we'll see what the REAL value is. I suspect people won't be willing to pay the same price... in times of plenty... that they were willing to pay in desperate times.

Last edited:
It is all about the crypto, ans specially the ETH.
I'm studing the fluxtuation on the market since all started again - back in December.
The price of a card is calculated on its daily profit. Here in Bulgaria even the retailers are scalping. Each card is roughly calculated about 7 to 8 months profit mining ETH. No matter new or old generation.
So if the ETH goes down, the prices will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I better not have all my gaming-fleet video cards fail! Because you can't even buy a GT 1030, at least at Newegg. (first-party) Also, the AMD IGP CPUs are OOS, too!

I'm still waiting on getting a 3080 and I'm not going to be getting one anytime soon. Here they're OOS or they cost an arm, leg, lung and another part of anatomy I can't mention. I'm glad and lucky I didn't dump my 1070 even with the great profit I can get for it.

I'm hoping they start pumping out cards at nominal pricing soon :(

Back