• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Long Can the Scalpers Keep it Up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm still waiting on getting a 3080 and I'm not going to be getting one anytime soon. Here they're OOS or they cost an arm, leg, lung and another part of anatomy I can't mention. I'm glad and lucky I didn't dump my 1070 even with the great profit I can get for it.

I'm hoping they start pumping out cards at nominal pricing soon :(

And I just saw that RX 6700XT!

It is all about the crypto, ans specially the ETH.
I'm studing the fluxtuation on the market since all started again - back in December.
The price of a card is calculated on its daily profit. Here in Bulgaria even the retailers are scalping. Each card is roughly calculated about 7 to 8 months profit mining ETH. No matter new or old generation.
So if the ETH goes down, the prices will follow.

Изпратено от моят RNE-L01 с помощта на Tapatalk

If it really IS about crypto... then the market is in big trouble. I found a Reddit post from three years ago that showed the direct relationship between video card prices and crypto-mining...

...but I'm not buying it.

Video cards should be about $10,000 a piece by now if that were the case three years ago.

I'm actually pointing towards another culprit:

Last weekend I was able to waltz into a store and waltz out with a PS5. i *vowed* that this would happen... I PLANNED for this to happen. But, in no way, did I actually BELIEVE this would happen... given the shortages.

Yesterday... I waltzed into another branch of the same store: And they had both the Xbox Series X and S consoles just sitting there... right out in the open... for anyone to buy.

I'm guessing that the consoles are simply snatching up a lot of the components that would normally go to stand-alone graphics cards to end their own shortages.(VRAM, capacitors, etc... etc...) and that the increase in Playstation an Xbox availability has lengthened the drought in graphics cards.

Microsoft and Sony.... after all... have a lotttttt more clout than EVGA and Asus.

Plus they know they can order a hundred million of whatever... and be guaranteed to sell every last one of them.

Yep, AMD has contracts with Sony and Microsoft for making their systems. Easy to do that assuming it's using the same fabs when it is likely a higher margin as well.

It is all about the crypto, ans specially the ETH.
I'm studing the fluxtuation on the market since all started again - back in December.
The price of a card is calculated on its daily profit. Here in Bulgaria even the retailers are scalping. Each card is roughly calculated about 7 to 8 months profit mining ETH. No matter new or old generation.
So if the ETH goes down, the prices will follow.

Изпратено от моят RNE-L01 с помощта на Tapatalk

Yep, AMD has contracts with Sony and Microsoft for making their systems. Easy to do that assuming it's using the same fabs when it is likely a higher margin as well.

Yeah. They had to get the ONLY PS5 they had handy from the BACK for me. I'm thinking you'll suddenly see AMD cards all over the place once the floors of the gaming departments are filled with PS5s.

But more than just AMD... AMD themselves have to order capacitors and other components from third parties and I'm guessing a lot of those resources are bled dry at this point by the console makers.

Back