• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How looooooowwwww can you go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penguinpoo

I've just built a computer for a friend, and its currently scoring 17165 3D marks01 SE... Is that ok you think?

A few questions

its perfectly stable at 169 FSB, Base standerd Voltages for everything, its a 2.4B [Wanted same as mine but they only had Costa Rica week 38] ... As much as i try, increasing voltages [took the CPU upto 1.6V] it wont even post at 170FSB... seems odd to me how just 1 MHz makes so much difference, is there anything im missing here? im keep the ram close to 400 and 3-6-3-3 timings, yet it wont happen :( Im using the SINXP and 2xXMS3200LL RAM [after success of mine, i was rather dissapointed]

Well I managed to get 17,465 ... But im still not too happy, I feel I should be getting 18k or more... any ideas? Does simply upping the voltage in the BIOS do any good? Would that reduce Artifacts at higher speeds... Or is that heat?

one question: how long does your friend want this computer to last? if he is running max o/c all the time, it might not last very long... that's just my take on it... i know that i would just be happy with my 3dmark score if i hit 17k because that is fantastic... i pull 11k @ stock with a p4 2.4b & gf4 ti 4400... it works for like every single game out there so i can't imagine what that machine could do with just a moderate overclock... it would still rull circles around mine :D

Yea...personally I only care about 3dMark tests that have 0 artifacts...running a game with major distortion and such is useless. No offense intended.

What video card is being used?

You must know that 3.4 ghz is a pretty rare overclock.

The chances of your buddy getting that high are slim to none. Most people say the voltage limit is 1.65 or 1.7 for P4s. You can run it at max overclock as much as you want with out hurting it. The things that will hurt it is voltage and heat.

The artifacts won't go away until you turn the overclock on your video card down. Your max overclock should be as high as you can get it with out artifacts.

OH NO!!! U totally misunderstand me! I TOTALLY agree Max OC should be without Artifacts!!! If I up the Core/Mem timings, It gets artifacts, i just wonderd if these would go away with higher voltages for AGP. Its a Radeon 9700 Pro running at 380/330 [NO artifacting]. My 3D scores were WITHOUT artifacts.

The CPU im running at [Room temp 20'C] is 30'c idle and 38'c Load [air cooling] at standerd Voltage. So thats quite cool.

penguinpoo, 17165 3D marks is just awesome IMO. Congratulations man!

Also, HOLY ****! Where did you buy your SINXP?? I thought that board just came out. I didn't know that you could buy one right now. I checked Gigabyte's website and it is saying that the board is available right now and also that it supports dual channel DDR 400. *whistles* (altough doesn't the SIS655 chipset officially support *only* dual chanel up to DDR333?).

For your problem, In terms of the CPU voltage, what you are saying indeed sounds very strange as if you are running competely stable at 169fsb (Prime 95 and stuff runs without errors), then THERE IS NO WAY that increasing the FSB by just 1 mhz will make the PC unbootable. What can happen is that the PC can become unstable but it is unheard of for a PC to go from 100% rock stable to unbootable by just increasing the FSB by 1 mhz. As a result, you CPU is definately not the problem here!

One thing I wanted to ask about this problem was whether you had the ability to lock your PCI and AGP buses with your motherboard and if so, whether you were doing this already or not. As it is, IF your AGP and PCI buses were running without dividers (I am typing this because I didn't see on Gigabyte's website if the board allowed you to lock the PCI and AGP buses), then at 169FSB, they would be at 84.5Mhz and 42.25Mhz respectively. Perhaps this is the limit for one of your PCI cards (sound card, NIC, *Hard Disk*, etc.) and therefore when you increase the clock speed by even 1 mhz, the PC stops booting up. There is also another possibilty in this regard. Being such a kick-*** board, now I think about it, the SINXP must have an AGP and PCI lock but maybe this feature is not working with the current BIOS!! As a result, try updating your BIOS to see if it helps.

The RAM could also be the problem. It is unlikely, altough possible that the 1mhz increase (which will be a 2mhz increase for DDR at 1:1) makes the RAM unstable at the timings you are running it at.

I'm curios about one thing though:

im keep the ram close to 400 and 3-6-3-3 timings,

Hmmm, if this is the case, then you are running with something other than 1:1 or 3:4 or 4:5 as none of these ratios would make the RAM run at around 400mhz at 169fsb. The board you have must have other ratios then. What ratio are you running at?

Well, regardless of what ratio you are running at though, try dropping the ratio to 1:1 just to see if the PC will boot then. If it does, then the RAM is the problem.

You should also know that increasing CPU voltage will never get rid of artifacts you see on the screen. Artifacts are strictly related to the graphics card. If you overclock just your CPU, you will never see any artifacts. You can only see artifacts if you overclock the graphics card so if you do see artifacts at one point in the future, just play with graphics card clocks and don't touch the CPU voltage. Also, you can safely increase the CPU voltage up to 1.75V's. Anything above is considered dangerous by certain people altough there is no evidence whatsoever to support this. As you can see in my sig, I have been running at 1.85V's for over 3 months now and didn't experience any problems at all...

one question: how long does your friend want this computer to last? if he is running max o/c all the time, it might not last very long...

Not true. How long a PC can last depends on several factors such as:

1-Heat
2-Voltage amount
3-Voltage stability (drops and jumps in voltage under load and idle)
4-The smoothess of voltage going in to the power supply (if you get a lot of spikes and brownouts, a UPS helps a lot).

It must be noted that electromigration caused by simply increasing the clock speed of a PC is *highly* exagerrated. At default clock speeds, PC's can last for decades if not longer. Overclocking will make this life span shorter considerably but even then, a clock speed increase alone will not be able to kill a CPU before it becomes a total dinosaur. Increasing the voltage by insane amounts *can* kill a CPU in no time though. Even then, there is no hard data on how much is insane voltage. I have been running my P3 with 2.05 volts (default is 1.65) for more than 6 months now and it still runs fine. I even ran it at 2.20 for a couple weeks...

If you run all quality components (a good power supply coupled with a UPS, a quality motherboard with a good voltage regulator, etc..) then the chances are that your system will last a long time overclocked.

penguinpoo said:
OH NO!!! U totally misunderstand me! I TOTALLY agree Max OC should be without Artifacts!!! If I up the Core/Mem timings, It gets artifacts, i just wonderd if these would go away with higher voltages for AGP. Its a Radeon 9700 Pro running at 380/330 [NO artifacting]. My 3D scores were WITHOUT artifacts.

The CPU im running at [Room temp 20'C] is 30'c idle and 38'c Load [air cooling] at standerd Voltage. So thats quite cool.

Ah, okay. AGP voltage won't make the card overclock any higher. The core and ram will pull the same ammount of energy no matter what the AGP voltage is at. It may give you more stability...something about AGP voltage dipping below 1.5 (I think that the AGP voltage) sometimes and if you have it set to 1.7 it will just dip down to 1.6. The card is going to only pull 1.5 still...yada yada yada. I think thats the correct explaination.

I'm sure someone here can correct me, but to answer your question, no it won't:)

Are you using two random pairs of Corsair XMS, or their matched pair? I replaced my cheapo KingMax memory with Corsair's twin pack of PC3200LLPT, instant boost of 10MHz fsb. If I turn the timings down, I can go up around 180+....but being stable is a different question.

So basically: if you're running one of those Dual Channel DDR boards and just suddenly hit a wall by increasing the fsb by 1MHz...in my experience that's your memory holding you back.

You could try upping the voltage on the memory.

Also, increasing AGP voltage shouldn't do anything for your video card overclock, those are two totally separate things. But then again, overclocking isn't an exact science.....so freaky things are bound to happen. What the heck, give it a try.

i just wonderd if these would go away with higher voltages for AGP

Aaaah, sorry, when I posted earlier, I hadn't seen this part. I thought you were referring to increasing the CPU voltage all along and not the AGP voltage.

The AGP voltage is useless really. It won't create artifacts and it won't get rid of them...

BIG replies! cool! Yeah it has AGP/PCI lock! Im gonna RMA my memory I think. I can get 170FSB if i set memory down near the 200MHz mark.

BIG replies! cool! Yeah it has AGP/PCI lock! Im gonna RMA my memory I think. I can get 170FSB if i set memory down near the 200MHz mark.

Heh, it's the memory then, eh? What ratio are you running the memory at to get 400mhz? I would say try 1:1 just to see how far the board and the CPU will go.

Chances are you can go above 170 easily because you are hitting 170 with default voltage right? I think that's just incredible!! Up a voltage a notch to say 1.6 or 1.65 if you get instability problems as increasing it by that much won't hurt anything.

It's really really rare to find a chip that will do 170FSB at default voltage so you must be really lucky. :)

Let us know how far it goes!

Last edited:
nice overclock and score! im only getting high 16k. what program do you use to stability test the processor?

To stabilty test... Hmm... Well to be exact i dont run a particular program, i have a 'routine' ... First off, it has to post [obviously] and load windows easily, then I run CPU stabilty test for a minute [to impatient to wait longer] then I run 3D mark 2001SE to detrermine how much better my new OC is, then i play mohaa online, As i found about 20 mins of MOHAA is not only more fun than watching you PC do nothing, but also if it dont crash or artifact with in 20 mins of MOHAA, then it aint gonna crash or artifact.

OC N00b its odd you say AGP voltage has nothing to do with the overclock. I totally agree with you.....but when at my current o/c of my 9500 (see sig) when I turn the agp voltage down to 1.6 (its at 1.7) 3DMark crashes everytime. Odd huh?

penguinpoo said:
To stabilty test... Hmm... Well to be exact i dont run a particular program, i have a 'routine' ... First off, it has to post [obviously] and load windows easily, then I run CPU stabilty test for a minute [to impatient to wait longer] then I run 3D mark 2001SE to detrermine how much better my new OC is, then i play mohaa online, As i found about 20 mins of MOHAA is not only more fun than watching you PC do nothing, but also if it dont crash or artifact with in 20 mins of MOHAA, then it aint gonna crash or artifact.

try prime95 in self test mode. just let it run overnight, and you will know if your system is rock solid. why not loop some 3dmark demos while your at it...

Back