• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How looooooowwwww can you go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MOHAA is best test knowen to me ATM :) :) plus its more fun! Seriously though, If it doesnt crash within bout half an hour of MOHAA, then it wont crash, wether thats just My PC or what... I dunno. but its always been the case.

NO LIFE, Im sure ive asked, but Who is that Girl? She is FLIPPIN WONDERFULL!!! WOW! Why dont u put it in your sig who she is! :)

Hmmmm, hey pengiun: Are you running that memory in a Dual Channel configuration? That could very well be your problem. If it is Dual Channel, don't bother running it any faster than the fsb (meaning set it to a 1:1 ratio), because it can't use that extra bandwidth.

Paladin - I'm at default voltage (at idle it overvolts to about 1.57, maybe a quick jolt to 1.58). FSB? 173-174, stable! :D

I'm also very curious about Dual Channel vs. single stick in overclocking abilities. Even though I'm running a matched pair of memory, I think I might be able to get a few more MHz by using a single stick. Of course, I would lose the HUGE (and I mean HUGE!!!) amounts of bandwidth provided by Dual Channel....I guess I'll have to see what matters more: more MHz (if any), or more bandwidth.

Paladin - I'm at default voltage (at idle it overvolts to about 1.57, maybe a quick jolt to 1.58). FSB? 173-174, stable!

HOLY ****!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I might need to get me one of them dual-channel mobos then! :D
I am waiting for the Springdale boards though. Meanwhile I am happy with my 1.6a running at 2.8 on an IT7 MAX2 V2.0. :)

A motherboard with locked AGP/PCI is probably the single most beneficial thing in overclocking. Dual Channel DDR is like an extra bonus for hitting those high fsb's! :D

Now my memory doesn't like the fast timings past 175fsb (wasn't it rated to though?), but I turned the timings down a notch and got around 185fsb on 1.6v.....but there was unstability and some minor Windows file corruption (which is somehow reversed with about 3 reboots).

I'm going to attempt running the ultimate overclocking config: Just one stick of RAM. No nonsense, no fsb-robbing extras...just one stick. I have a feeling that the whole "one stick of ram overclocks better" theory has some validity to it. We'll see!!!

Now my memory doesn't like the fast timings past 175fsb (wasn't it rated to though?), but I turned the timings down a notch and got around 185fsb on 1.6v.....but there was unstability and some minor Windows file corruption (which is somehow reversed with about 3 reboots).

Maaan, that is one sweet chip+motherboard combo you got there if you can do 185fsb with only 1.6v's. What week is your chip??

I'm going to attempt running the ultimate overclocking config: Just one stick of RAM. No nonsense, no fsb-robbing extras...just one stick. I have a feeling that the whole "one stick of ram overclocks better" theory has some validity to it. We'll see!!!

Sure, let us know! I would never run a dual-channel mobo with a single stick though, even for testing because that would beat the purpose of having a dual-channel mobo.

Okay, right now I'm running 180fsb at 1.6Vcore (On this system, that means 1.6V....when I pick my voltage in the BIOS that's what it gives me in MBM5 at idle. Default setting is 1.525 but that overvolts to 1.57...wierd :D) and I had to back off the timings to 2.5-3-3-6. Also, I gave the memory +.1v, and the AGP +.1v (just for the heck of it, haha!).

But even with the slower timings, I gain about 10MB/sec in Sandra with a 5MHz increase in memory speed.

Now I gotta break out the 3DMark and plenty of games to see how the system likes it :D

Onwards and upwards!

EDIT: Okay, I think I'm finally hitting the ceiling. I'm now up to 1.65Vcore for 180fsb, since 1.6Vcore wouldn't complete Sandra's CPU Arithmatic bench. I'd like the system to be rock stable at this setting....I kind of like it here :D

If not, I've always got 173fsb with fast timings and stock voltages all across the board :D

EDIT2: Alright, fine. IE kept crashing on me...sign on instability I guess. I guess I'll keep it in the "naturally aspirated" form (stock voltages). 173fsb ain't too shabby, haha! Now to crank my video card up!

Last edited:
nice overclock stump! those dually boards are great. i have the asus p4g8x granite bay board. does your board support a cas latency of 1.5? i tried it and it doesnt seem to improve performance but it does limit my overclock. i can get 2-2-2-5 at 170, but i have to up the vcore to 1.65 to run prime95 overnight. i wish my multipier was unlocked! i have a 2.66 and i would really like to get the fsb higher. i may take the 2.4 out of the computer i built for my sister and put it in mine. i know the chip is a good overclocker, and that memory bandwidth would be nice

173fsb ain't too shabby, haha! Now to crank my video card up!

LOL, are you crazy??!! 173 FSB with a 2.4B at 1.6V's is fantastic! I bet you could go more on the FSB but you would probably need a lower multiplier chip like a 2.26. At 173 FSB, your 2.4B should be running at 3121Mhz which is pretty darn high. And this is on air-cooling. I think if you were to move to water cooling, you could go above 3.2ghz but with your current cooling, I think your chip can't go much faster (well you proved that it can go up to 180 but it's unstable there so water cooling would fix that ;) )

Back