• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to mark an A64 ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuietIce

Disabled
I'm getting ready to de-lid my third A64 (4400+ and FX-55 are already there) and I'm beginning to wonder how I'm going to keep track of these things. I don't want to mess up a CPU b/c of stupidity but I really need to tag them at this point as I'll have at least two of them "loose" as I rebuild loops this weekend.

Any ideas on how to mark them w/out ruining them? Maybe a Sharpie and stay away from the connections? But I know some things don't react well to Sharpies does that list include the brown body of an A64?

Comments, suggestions, past experience, (hints and allegations ;)) welcome ...

I've got the original boxes but you've never seen my work table! :) Besides, I'm trying to come up with a more permanent solution so that 2-3 years from now I'll still know which is which. Three is probably just the beginning, I'm sure there will be more 939 systems to come - they make such great little SETI crunchers! Switching chips between MBs and such in the future, well, eventually I'm gonna' loose track of them if they're not marked.

Thanks for the suggestion, though ...

There's got to be a way to mark the chip itself. If nothing else I'll use a stick-on label - the chip is above the body enough that there's vertical space there for one. But I'd rather use a Sharpie, if possible.

I figured w/so many people de-lidding their chips (and so many T-breds before) that someone would have already done this ...?

I've used processor with markings on the non-core part of a delidded CPU. It doesn't affect it at all.

A few of the Athlons at work are marked in such a way, and they run fine.

felt tip pen or sharpie should work, but not on the die of course.

Vipersfate said:
I've used processor with markings on the non-core part of a delidded CPU. It doesn't affect it at all.

A few of the Athlons at work are marked in such a way, and they run fine.

felt tip pen or sharpie should work, but not on the die of course.
Of course! That's what I was looking for, someone who had done it (or seen it done) w/out problems.

Thanks! :beer: :beer:

Back