• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Mod the D and Ultra-D to SataII and SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
primuslesler said:
alright i have two questions... how do you remove the chipset and how do you reseat it?

You don't have to (or want to) remove the chipset. See Thunda's post on how to remove the fan. The circuit is on the motherboard itself and is hidden by the fan.

CJ

It isn't hard.

Have you ever had a 9800PRO, its like that.

Just squeeze the plastic pins(2 of them) thats sticking out of the motherboard as much as possible, then pop it out (Make even with motherboard) with a creditcard/plastic card(Do this to both). Then yank it out!(Minimal force needed after you made the pins even with motherboard(Nothing sticking out).

all ur guys are talking about using a pencil.. wouldnt soldering the points be more efficent or work better?

Yes both boards can be modded.. Im pretty sure there is a thread that I started for modding the Ultra-D before the NF4-D came out.. But for some reason this one got more attention..

Btw.. Thanks to whoever stuck my thread.. :)

if u mod to the SATA II do u guys install ur own sata connections on? it appears mine donesnt have the 5-8 satas id have to solder them on...

EspElement said:
if u mod to the SATA II do u guys install ur own sata connections on? it appears mine donesnt have the 5-8 satas id have to solder them on...

Nope .. it just makes the existing ones sata2..
:cool:

EspElement said:
so on the DFI non ULTRA D it has 4 existing ones still?

Yes it does.. When you mod it all four on the mobo will be able to run sata2

Am I the only one that the Leadtek bridge links won't work for?

Ah, thank you. Weren't some SLI bridges using cables supposed to come out soon?

JoT said:
Ah, thank you. Weren't some SLI bridges using cables supposed to come out soon?

Not that I know of..

I think the one that connects crossfire cards looks more like a cable ..

Soldering would probably work better but you'd need to be very careful becuase if you slip or get solder where its not ment to be then it'll be an *** to get off. I'm quite handy with a soldering iron and have had practice doing this sort of very delicate work but I wouldn't recommend just anyone try doing this.

Cobalt said:
Soldering would probably work better but you'd need to be very careful becuase if you slip or get solder where its not ment to be then it'll be an *** to get off. I'm quite handy with a soldering iron and have had practice doing this sort of very delicate work but I wouldn't recommend just anyone try doing this.

Seriously guys solder and risk f'ing the board or rub a penicl inbetween two points 10 times? If you mess up with the pencil just erase.

As thunda already said... just do whatever you have to to connect the two points.

the adam said:
Seriously guys solder and risk f'ing the board or rub a penicl inbetween two points 10 times? If you mess up with the pencil just erase.

As thunda already said... just do whatever you have to to connect the two points.

I agree.. solder will work but I really dont suggest it because there is too much a chance of messing it up and also with pencil or even conductive pen its removable ..

Another thing that works is a rear window defogger repair kit for cars.. ;)

I am about to buy one of these motherboards. I have heard DFI has changed something in the newer boards preventing this mod. Is this true?

Thanks.

Tych0 said:
I am about to buy one of these motherboards. I have heard DFI has changed something in the newer boards preventing this mod. Is this true?

Thanks.

There have been reports that some chipsets have a "large" amount of epoxy covering the bridges.

If that is the case, it will simply take a little more work to remove the epoxy to expose the bridges.

Once that is done, the mod will still work.

There are two threads about this mod here at DFI-Street that explain a little more about the epoxy..

This is epoxy that Nvidia put on the chips not DFI.. But the mod can still work..

Back