• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Mod the D and Ultra-D to SataII and SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what is the best way to take off the heatsink and fan and how do I put it back on?

This thread saved my life...
I worked my *** off basically my entire summer to upgrade my computer with an AMD processor and dual 6800gt's, but I ****ed up and got the wrong mobo, the D, instead of the SLI-D.

Pretty ****ing stupid that they do this **** to us, raping us by selling a $120 mobo then a $170 mobo thats the same with a solder bridge changed.

But I'm still wondering, what's the missing chip near the PCI-E connectors, if you compare the d
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/LP UT nF4-D.jpg
with the sli-d
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/LP UT nF4 SLI-D.jpg

???

My success story. I have an ultra-d, got down to the removing epoxy part and used a razor blade to dig down to reveal the 2 TINY pins. I used my pencil and wrote across the 2 pins a few times pretty good...put it back together, using AS5 on the chipset, booted and WALLA! NF4 SLI was listed during post...YIPPY!! Now just waiting on my 2 6600GTs to put in SLI, should be here in a week or so.

Is this mod still working with the new nvidia drivers? Also does anyone have a link to a bridge for 2 cards? I just bought another 7800GTX and will try this board first before an asus premium :p

Rodman said:
Is this mod still working with the new nvidia drivers? Also does anyone have a link to a bridge for 2 cards? I just bought another 7800GTX and will try this board first before an asus premium :p

I havent seen any reports of the newer drivers not working..

Unfortunatly im having a hard time finding the bridge also.. :(

If I find any place that has them I will update this thread..

Well I got my newegg from Zipzoomfly today, I ripped off the HSF and while in the process of cleaning the NB HSF I damaged the foam thing :bang head I am not exaclty sure what it is for but I would hope it does not do any damage

Anywho I took my soldering iron and CARFULLY touchecd the two pins together, then trimmed the solder so it didn't short out anything. I think the board is alright but im not sure as I have no CPU ATM. The NB did NOT have any epoxy on it and I am very thankful for that.

Also is there anything more I have to do? I touched the pins applied AS5, now when I install the board should I just have to see if it is a "SLI-D"? I am going to be running one PCI-e card ATM so im not sure if i have to do anything with the jumpers?

Rodman said:
I wish I knew Rodman.. :(
Archer36 said:
Well I got my newegg from Zipzoomfly today, I ripped off the HSF and while in the process of cleaning the NB HSF I damaged the foam thing :bang head I am not exaclty sure what it is for but I would hope it does not do any damage
That pad is to help prevent chipping the core.. Ive ran my mobo without one and never had a problem.. Just be carefull when mounting the chipset fan and dont rock it back and forth too much..
Archer36 said:
Anywho I took my soldering iron and CARFULLY touchecd the two pins together, then trimmed the solder so it didn't short out anything. I think the board is alright but im not sure as I have no CPU ATM. The NB did NOT have any epoxy on it and I am very thankful for that.
Thats cool..
Archer36 said:
Also is there anything more I have to do? I touched the pins applied AS5, now when I install the board should I just have to see if it is a "SLI-D"? I am going to be running one PCI-e card ATM so im not sure if i have to do anything with the jumpers?
Turn off the boot screen logo in bios.. Then when it boots up look at the top left part of the post screen.. It should say Nforce4 SLI..

Leave the jumpers at default when using one card..

THunDA said:
I wish I knew Rodman.. :(
That pad is to help prevent chipping the core.. Ive ran my mobo without one and never had a problem.. Just be carefull when mounting the chipset fan and dont rock it back and forth too much..Thats cool..
Turn off the boot screen logo in bios.. Then when it boots up look at the top left part of the post screen.. It should say Nforce4 SLI..

Leave the jumpers at default when using one card..

Sweet as soon as I get a proc ill post my (hopfully happy) results. THe core looked a little weird but I think it should be fine as I am always carful when installing these things.

Hey, I just got a new Ultra-D for my setup and was going to do the mod to make it SLI. But when I took the heatsink off... first off, it's got some tar like crap over the connectors. I think DFI is trying to prevent people, or at least make it more difficult, to do this mod. Gay.

DocGiggs said:
Hey, I just got a new Ultra-D for my setup and was going to do the mod to make it SLI. But when I took the heatsink off... first off, it's got some tar like crap over the connectors. I think DFI is trying to prevent people, or at least make it more difficult, to do this mod. Gay.

Not DFI.. They came like that from Nvidia..

If you look back through this thread you'll see a few people got it like that... Its easy to work around though.. Just scrap away the expoy stuff to expose the connectors..

I have a quick question.

I just did this mod last night for fun of it and rubbed the #2 pencil across the two pins and when I booted up the system the post screen didn't indicate nothing about weather the board is Ultra-D or SLI.

Is there any other way to check weather the mod was successful?

Back