• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate wall warts....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

So I hate wall warts ie all the little 12v 1amp plugs you get to plug in all your external accessories ie modem, routers and junk... anyways i replaced them all a while ago and just picked up a 12v 10a power supply. but i picked up a ubiquiti 60w - 8 router and it needs 48v 1a to power it... i think 12v is to far off to get to 48v with a step up converter.. but i was thinking i could up it to 24 and use a couple step downs to get the 12v and one step up converter to get to 48v...

the idea behind this is i put it all on a single UPS so my network can stay up on a power cut.

any thoughts on this? would it work?

Sounds flaky...

If the router is PoE (Power over Ethernet)...sounds like it is but you didn’t give model number...then go the other “safer” way...PoE splitters!

I am using exclusively PoE Texas (also called WiFi Texas) PoE and PoE+ splitters, with currently about 10 devices running off my PoE switches.

PoE Splitter = Ethernet on one side, and then Ethernet and power 5V, 12V, etc) on the other side.

Check them out on Amazon. If you are not sure which one to get, call or email PoE Texas and they will guide you to which module to buy based upon the wall wart you are trying to replace.

So I hate wall warts ie all the little 12v 1amp plugs you get to plug in all your external accessories ie modem, routers and junk... anyways i replaced them all a while ago and just picked up a 12v 10a power supply. but i picked up a ubiquiti 60w - 8 router and it needs 48v 1a to power it... i think 12v is to far off to get to 48v with a step up converter.. but i was thinking i could up it to 24 and use a couple step downs to get the 12v and one step up converter to get to 48v...

the idea behind this is i put it all on a single UPS so my network can stay up on a power cut.

any thoughts on this? would it work?

just use the ubiquiti power supply, they are engineered to work with their devices, there is a reason why ubiquiti is known for their stability and reliability. Not to mention the added bulk messing with a bunch of step down converters or step up. If you were to step up 12v to 48 you're gonna be using up 4A+ of your 10a power supply (48w [48vx1a] 12vx4a) not to mention the 80%~ efficiency of the converter so 4.8A almost half your power adapters potential output.

I think the reason for the 12V power bus is because it's very easy to make a backup power setup by simply connecting a 12V power supply adjusted up to 13.8V in parallel with a common 12V lead acid battery. (And then optionally add solar power very easily with a charge controller.) The right solution is a boost converter module, then use a bigger power supply like 30A to get plenty of margin even when charging the battery.

Back