• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas for more exposure for our team

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A banner would be nice, but that's a little pricey.

Why don't we keep an eye on the "HOME" page where it shows the names of new members when they join the forum and send them a PM or email and ask them to join our SETI team. No cost in doing that and getting invited personally may be attractive to a newbie....you know, like making a new friend type thing. That way we don't have to wait for them to stumble into the SETI FORUM or a thread.

Just my idea. :D

dagwood said:

Katelin,

You could always let us use a picture of you. The caption would be "Come crunch with this hottie!!!"

:D ;) :D

dagwood

Sure Dagwood, what a wonderful idea! And should I pose in a red bikini or in a short, tight party dress with 5 inch platform heels? And while we're at it, why don't I just stand in front of a PC real bimbo like looking with text over my head that says "excuse me, which of these buttons turns the computer on?"

craigiz1 said:
A banner would be nice, but that's a little pricey.
Ever price out advertising rates at the Other hardware sites ? The price above is truly a steal for what you get for it, 17 Million Impressions and banner time in the CPU Database.

J :cool:

katelin said:

Sure Dagwood, what a wonderful idea! And should I pose in a red bikini or in a short, tight party dress with 5 inch platform heels? And while we're at it, why don't I just stand in front of a PC real bimbo like looking with text over my head that says "excuse me, which of these buttons turns the computer on?"
Let me just take this moment to impart that I was in no way shape or form involved with the above suggestion *sticks tongue out at the other guys* Shame on you :mad:

SpeeDj said:
Ever price out advertising rates at the Other hardware sites ? The price above is truly a steal for what you get for it, 17 Million Impressions and banner time in the CPU Database.

No, I've never priced advertising.

I'll just keep asking people to join when I can. That's free. Some times I can be a real cheapo. :p

craigiz1 said:

No, I've never priced advertising.

I'll just keep asking people to join when I can. That's free. Some times I can be a real cheapo. :p
Nothing wrong with that, it works great, I am a firm believer in it myself :)

Where is this 17 mil figure coming from? I mean Anandtech doesn't get that many unique page views on its entire site per month. Last I heard they were the king (hardware wise) and had about 500K per week. I could maybe see this happening if counting every hit on every page from the same source unlimited times.

TC said:
Where is this 17 mil figure coming from? I mean Anandtech doesn't get that many unique page views on its entire site per month. Last I heard they were the king (hardware wise) and had about 500K per week. I could maybe see this happening if counting every hit on every page from the same source unlimited times.
Sigh, the Forums do 15 Million impressions a month each impression is a new page served, hence a new banner ad, the CPU Database does 2 Million impressions a month hence since advertising on the Forums would get you the CPU database that equals out to 17 Million Impressions a month.

i dont think the banner ad would be worth it personally. reddeath is already going strong with with the seti avatars... thats all the free banner ads we need. i really can say i never look at the banner ad at the top, i dont even remember what the f@h one looks like. I mean think about it, if us as a team managed to get together 300 bucks a month that right there is about what you would spend on a xp system for a diskless cluster, thats about 6 WU's a day. it would be smarter to just buy more rigs than try to make some banner ad attract new people. i think the seti avatars and the pm/emailing new members thing are good ideas though. if we PM all the new people we wouldnt need a banner ad anyhow. just my thoughts

katelin said:

nah lets leave the text part out. every thing else sounds great, lets run with it. way to take one for the team!:beer:

A good start is your avatar and sig.

Something as simple as posting the team URL in your sig, or updating your avatar (hell, use your cutrrent one, I'll add a little "SETI something" to it!)

Get all your relatives involved (get them to crunch under your name for more WU!)

Link to the team page wherever you get the chance.......

SpeeDj said:
the CPU Database does 2 Million impressions a month

How I got to be a Seti addict
by Harvey Allen

1) Found overclockers.com and started using the database to calculate overclock possibilities.

2) Started picking up goodies in the overclockers.com classifieds.

3) Signed up for the Forums when the classifieds were moved here.

4) Found out about Seti while making my 100 post requirement for access to the classifieds.

5) Sitting here in a room full of computers cruncing Seti beside a Wal Mart fan trying to keep things cool.

Conclusion:

I) People who frequent the database are likely heavy hitters.

II) Seti gives people something to do with their MHz.

III) Seti is a lot of fun here on the team.

IV) Members here are smart technically and are happy to share their knowledge to make you a better computer user.

Having said that, the idea is to get people from 1) above to 5) above so they can enjoy the benefits of I) to IV).

A good banner ad telling people that using Seti on their brand new state of the art Intel or AMD computer is an adventure that they are missing can jump them from 1) to 5) or at least get them to click onto a page where we can explain the merits of SETI and "The Overclockers.com Seti Team" in detail.

$300. bucks a month does not seem like too much if it can do the trick.

JMHO

Harvey

edit: We also have our own database and that is an asset too that can be used to interest potential members.

phantom punisher said:

nah lets leave the text part out. every thing else sounds great, lets run with it. way to take one for the team!:beer:

Ok, how about your wife, girlfriend, or mom pose next to me and have the text abover her head then?

Specifically addressing the banner issue I would be happy if we started a fund for that and people can just contribute as they desire. When it reaches the needed level we can place a banner (design issues come up of course).

If this is once a year fine. If it is more than once a year fine. Pretty much win/win to me. No muss, no fuss, no pressure and just keep doing what everyone is doing to crunch harder/faster/better! :D

If after placing an add we feel that there was no benefit we can always decide not to place anymore. If there are left-over funds just move them to the contest account. Its our team and we can try things out and see what works.

We have lots of good ideas and discussions going, lets keep it up! :)

Cy

I'll start out with one week $75.

Katelin could you handle the money? All you need to do is open up a PayPal account for members to pay into.

We can let the fund build while we work on the details.

Maybe a sticky with contribution links and an update on the amount in the account.

If we don't advertise we can always PayPal back.

Harvey

edit: August has 31 days. Figure 30 x $10. = $300. If we can do it that's like one day free.

Last edited:
katelin said:

Ok, how about your wife, girlfriend, or mom pose next to me and have the text abover her head then?

Hey my newly overclocked girlfriend (now fiance :D ) siad she'd do it.. Maybe we can make a woman of seti calander.

One More Point!

One more point that hasn't been discussed here but was made during the similar discussion phase of the "Folding Team's" decision to do an ad(yes, I do spy on them for recruiting ideas), is the fact that not only does the ad have potential benefits for our team, but the $300.00 is going to help support the very place that this team is founded on.

I for one, think that is a pretty good way to get double "BANG" for the buck. I pledge $75.00 to the Team Advertising Budget. Let me know when and to who to PayPal it to. There now, we're half way there or better.

SkyHook

Very good point indeed. :) Yes, as soon as we have the spot to donate for a banner I'll send a little something along as well.

Cy

Back