• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

if it were your money.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

ok so I got stupid and need to know if its justified going stupider lol. I recently swapped out a perfectly running Z68 board and 2600k for a crosshair V Formula Z board and 6100FX just wanted to play with AMD as I mostly just game. But I saw a bad decrease in gaming performance. SO question I pose here is...will going to a 8350 or even an 9370 be better suited for gaming. theres only a 50$ diff between the 2 so either will fit the budget.

ok so I got stupid and need to know if its justified going stupider lol. I recently swapped out a perfectly running Z68 board and 2600k for a crosshair V Formula Z board and 6100FX just wanted to play with AMD as I mostly just game. But I saw a bad decrease in gaming performance. SO question I pose here is...will going to a 8350 or even an 9370 be better suited for gaming. theres only a 50$ diff between the 2 so either will fit the budget.

If you overclock the 2600k, and have a good graphics card, there is not a lot having a beefier cpu will help.

Having an AMD is another experience itself - especially the overclocking. If your not overclocking, then it is "pointless." I have had a 8150, but I never noticed a difference than with a 6100fx when it came to gaming. Obviously number crunching it can do more with the cores, but did not help during gaming (usage hovered around 5-10% used the whole time with either).

The 8350 should be able to compete with the 9370 if you overclock compared to stock, but if you go with the 9370, you will have more than $50 in price as you will need aftermarket cooling even with stock.

LoL yeah I overclocker I also have more than enough cooling 420mm 280mm and 240mm rads in my loop 420 & 280 60mm thick 240 is 85mm thick currentl loops 420&280 on CPU 240 on gpu's

Last edited:
S I N it all depends on if the game you are using will utilize all 8 cores. If it will then you'll benefit from the 8/9 series, in most cases the games will not utilize all 8. The other issue will be heat, if you have the AMD setup on the custom loop in your sig you should be fine, but the 8/9 series Fx's eat wattage and produce a ton of heat. An extreme example when I'm overclocked in the low 5's and running benches with my GTX 580 the combined tests I'm drawing 700+ watts from the wall, 3D Mark Vantage is one of them. I did a test and ran prime and heaven at the same time, with the Cpu @ 5.2 and the Gtx Oced to 980/1120 and I was pulling 827w from the wall. Granted the Kill O watt meter isn't 100% accurate and you need to take into account the Psu efficiency which it is a gold unit, but that's how much heat they produce. The 6300 you will probably be able to run at higher clocks due to less heat so that would be my choice.

Additionally I find the AMD Cpu's to be more fun to tweak then my 4770k and 2500k, but that's me.

Going to any of the 63xx or 83xx processors will net you at least 10% gain in performance.

Additionally I find the AMD Cpu's to be more fun to tweak then my 4770k and 2500k, but that's me.

yeah always like on'n AMD better lol more knobs to play with lol instead of boring old multi oc's I could reapply the oc on my 2600K in my sleep lol its that simple.

yea we get more knobs to twist.
get an 8350, cut it to 6 cores and clock it to 5.0 and it will game just fine.

so with that theory I should be able to knock this 6100 down to 4 cores and oc it to 5.0 and be the same???? lol

crap, you have enough cooling to game it at 5.2 or above, the only thing to watch is that amd calculates the core temps and over 1.7 vcorewhen you first hit it with a heavy load it can spike to the cutoff temp when running ambient water, this can be overcome to some extent with massive water flow.

no, the 6100 is a lesser cpu.
they start life as 8 cores/4 modules, if 1 module/2cores fail qc it becomes a 6 core.

ok cool lol one thing though bro ya need to use the edit button and not double post within a short span, or wait for another replier lol. But I'm still torn on what to do my good ole intel system never let me down this hard lol.

well decided to go stupider and hoping it'll look like brilliance. I dropped the bomb and went for the 9370 cpu. all I wanna do is game for longer than 15mins without a crash lol hell BF4 wont even load up.

yeah was seeing PD improved BD a bit and NewEgg was about to up the price back to 289 so grabbed it while it was still 40-50 cheaper. order has been confirmed but I highly doubt I got it in time to ship tonight so with luck it ships tomorrow and I'll have it Thursday with some time to play with it before heading back to work on Friday lol.

oh and forgot I played with a few setting the other day and hadnt tried BF4 since lol just got in and gamed a bit @45-50fps in a 64 man TDM not to shabby lol. I basically upped my memory to 2000 and the volts on it a tad i was actually suprised it booted at 2k cause 1866 which is rated speed always played hell booting.

When I read this I was like :sly:

You swapped a 2600K for a FX6100... The 2600K is still an awesome cpu and overclocks like crazy I can't imagine why a person would do such a thing. I mean it's your money and what not, it just doesn't make much sense. Now the plan is to put a 220w chip in to replace the 6100... I just don't understand the logic involved with all of this. I wish you the best of luck with your setup.

thanks but I think I already covered the part where I said I was stupid to start with. :D But the 220watt chip doesn't phase me at all I'll be trowing 5x 140mm 60mm thick rads (420mm and 280mm) at it so that should keep her cooled off a bit. And maybe in the back of my mind I knew this was a doggy adventure but I kinda hoped for better performance than I've seen, dont get me wrong this is still a very viable setup but its not up to the intel spectrum of performance. I'm starting to think its got alot more tweaking to be had from it. Plus when I'm done it'll make a very nice backup rig when I go back intel on a more current platform.

I'm starting to think its got alot more tweaking to be had from it.

This is why I have stuck with AMD. Its just more fun.

I've got a 1366 rig sitting here on my benching table, just don't enjoy it as much as my 6300.

yeah I agree its all about fine tuning where-as my 2600k it was up the vcore to just under safe spec (1.4) I went 1.36 the up the mutli til it wouldn't pass prime. Then tweak ram setting. Which stock setting for my ram under XMP were perfect so nothing there. Wiath AMd you have fsb to play with as well as multi's then theres Nb freq ht freq and then ram lol its fnding that perfect balance. I've gotten closer with setting the ram speed to well beyond what I thought of trying who knew 1866 struggle to boot or crash at weird times but 2k lol its been stable as hell and I only gave it .01 volts above what I had it set for 1866 lol

I'm deffo gonna ride this train a while and see where it leads me. Unless I find a super killer deal on an 1150 setup :D

Sandybridge was a little on the dull side when came to overclocking just set the multipler and vcore and you werre pretty much done. I might look into a fx6350 for a play rig after watching a couple of you tube videos.

Back