• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im bummed,evga 680i wont support yorkfield.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for that info thideras, I was about to switch to an A1 I have. It overclocked well with the E6600 but I've changed to a Q6600. Guess it is time to sell it. :bang head
Yup, you are in the same boat as me ;)

I have a thread where I'm discussing alternatives to the 680i, I put in a request to get it moved, I'll link to it once it gets moved! :D

Here you go:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=536171

It could be nvidia's plan to make you buy a 780i...
Which is a fail. I was "promised" 45nm support and when the processor isn't supported, they lose my business for quite a long time. I'm not the only one that is mad about this. ;)

I really hope they fix it, but I'll be long gone before that.

See, it's things like this that keep me from making the jump. I just sit back, get my popcorn and soda and watch the chaos, lol.

I feel for you guyz, really i do.

Sometimes i wanna mothball my rig, but this makes it impossible.

it's a **** off for sure but it doesn't bother me, it will give me a change to do some extreme overclocks or vmods more with the hardware.

You have to wait for Nehalem before Intel starts smarting up to AMD. I _LOVE_ the fact you can upgrade to a Phenom on an AM2 mobo.

I'm not an AMD guy, but have had some small HTPC's/budget builds that have been spectacularly stable. Is it true even older AM2 boards will support Phenom?

I understand that theridas will dump his 680i I would also be cut if I was in your shoes.

But how will theridas run SLI without a nvida chipset??

yeah I hear that, even though i really like SLI with these gt's and I would probably upgrade to more powerful cards in sli, this stunt makes we gonna go x38 and single ATI card when an affordable 45nm quad hits the streets and a real ATI gpu finally hits the streets.

ya, thats what they are saying. it will fully support all of the new 45nm cpu's while the 680i will only support the dual core's.

depending on costs and my budget i will probably buy the new motherboard and just get a Q6600 G0 for this setup.

Just for the heck of it I did put my 680i into my system with a Q6600, mainly due to curiosity. Did update the bios to P31. With the watercooling I run swaps are a pain in the ***.

It does run but overclocking was not very good, FSB of ~325 with 9 cpu mult. Prime stable for several hours. Wouldn't boot with an 8 cpu mult. Certainly not a setup I would run for long.

Didn't expect anything much different based on thideras' info but as I said, just curious.

Just for the heck of it I did put my 680i into my system with a Q6600, mainly due to curiosity. Did update the bios to P31. With the watercooling I run swaps are a pain in the ***.

It does run but overclocking was not very good, FSB of ~325 with 9 cpu mult. Prime stable for several hours. Wouldn't boot with an 8 cpu mult. Certainly not a setup I would run for long.

Didn't expect anything much different based on thideras' info but as I said, just curious.

yep, i tried hard to make that thing fly.. i was even going to buy a 6750 just to see if i could get some real fsb from it.. i just had to know, because i spent 300 on the board and ive seen people do well with dualcores, and some even able to run 1600fsb with their quads, i was jealous lol. but i traded the board and my gts320 for this gtx and vf1000.

I heard that nVidia 7xx are exactly the same as 680i apart from the fact that it supports 45nm quad and has pcie-2. Don't know about you guys but I was expecting a bit more out of the new chipset, other than being a SLIGHT workaround.

Well, I'm talking to a rep right now to see if I can return this motherboard and order a new one ;)

yep, i tried hard to make that thing fly.. i was even going to buy a 6750 just to see if i could get some real fsb from it.. i just had to know, because i spent 300 on the board and ive seen people do well with dualcores, and some even able to run 1600fsb with their quads, i was jealous lol. but i traded the board and my gts320 for this gtx and vf1000.

I got around 450 with the E6600 but that board died and this is the RMA. Not really sure what it'll do since I didn't try the E6600.

what about PCI-e x16 vs 2.0? is there any point to running pci-e 2.0 cards in a x16 slot? or is that like driving a ferrari in a school zone?

i'm trying to figure out if SLI is for me or not. i just ordered two 8800 GT which are 2.0

what about PCI-e x16 vs 2.0? is there any point to running pci-e 2.0 cards in a x16 slot? or is that like driving a ferrari in a school zone?

i'm trying to figure out if SLI is for me or not. i just ordered two 8800 GT which are 2.0
Well, you need a motherboard that supports PCI-E 2.0, which would be a x38 chipset.

The only real difference is more power can be delivered through the board (why would you want more failure point?? :confused:) and it can run 32x, which no card can even saturate a 8x PCI-e bus...

So, no, at this point PCI-e 2.0 is pretty worthless.

Back