• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im bummed,evga 680i wont support yorkfield.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even though I think it is downright inexcusable for 680i not to include the support of the 45nm Quads, I don't see it has a HUGE deal. The 65nm Quads are fine, and I can't imagine people buying too many 680i's when the 45nm are affordable. Seeing as how the 7xx's will be so near.

I dunno, just my 2 cents. My P35 will support 45nm Quads but I didn't have any intention of buying one anyway.

Even though I think it is downright inexcusable for 680i not to include the support of the 45nm Quads, I don't see it has a HUGE deal. The 65nm Quads are fine, and I can't imagine people buying too many 680i's when the 45nm are affordable. Seeing as how the 7xx's will be so near.

I dunno, just my 2 cents. My P35 will support 45nm Quads but I didn't have any intention of buying one anyway.
Well, that is why this thread exists. People that were going to upgrade to the Penryn Quads are unable to even though they were promised "45nm supported".

I for one already have a motherboard replacement on the way, some other people probably do also. :beer:

Even though I think it is downright inexcusable for 680i not to include the support of the 45nm Quads, I don't see it has a HUGE deal. The 65nm Quads are fine, and I can't imagine people buying too many 680i's when the 45nm are affordable. .....

The 65nm quads don't work well on it either, marginal at best. :bang head

Well, that is why this thread exists. People that were going to upgrade to the Penryn Quads are unable to even though they were promised "45nm supported".

I for one already have a motherboard replacement on the way, some other people probably do also. :beer:

I know this "45nm supported" was said quite often, but was it ever actually said by Nvidia? link?

The 65nm quads don't work well on it either, marginal at best. :bang head

They work fine...tons of users have had great results with them. It isn't really a "65nm Quad" issue, but a general inferior chipset issue with all processors :-/.

I know this "45nm supported" was said quite often, but was it ever actually said by Nvidia? link?

They work fine...tons of users have had great results with them. It isn't really a "65nm Quad" issue, but a general inferior chipset issue with all processors :-/.
Yes, when the board was released. I don't have a link or the time to look, I'm at work and on the phone ;)

And there are issues with the 65nm quad. They work, yes, but they don't overclock near as well as on other motherboards.

Last edited:
Bad news , I just read in another forum that the 780I and 790I will not be supporting the new quads ( 45nm ) . The person that posted the thread said he had spoke to a Asus rep and the rep confirmed they would not be supported. I personally think Nvidia has lost their minds. I for one will be switching to a P35 or X38 board. As soon as I can do some research between Nvidia cards and ATI that will determine if I use Nvidia anymore.

Bad news , I just read in another forum that the 780I and 790I will not be supporting the new quads ( 45nm ) . The person that posted the thread said he had spoke to a Asus rep and the rep confirmed they would not be supported. I personally think Nvidia has lost their minds. I for one will be switching to a P35 or X38 board. As soon as I can do some research between Nvidia cards and ATI that will determine if I use Nvidia anymore.

that would explain why i read asus and others delayed the release of 780i/790i. that is a big chunk of the market right there when they cant get 45nm quads to work.

hmmmm, i was over at the eVGA forums this morning and k|ngp|n was a guest at the LAN4 party not to long again, he did a demo with DI and the new 7series boards using 45nm quads. set a new 3dmark01 record at that too.

i think the new 7 series is going to support 45nm. :beer:

What are you talking about? That the 65nm quad does fine? Of course they do fine. BUT that has no relationship to my post.

Or do you mean that tons of users have run the 65nm quads on the 680i and they do fine? So why is it an inferior chipset then? You've used a 65nm quad on a 680i?

I love such meaingless quotes of unknown sources. :bang head

Apologizes for my rant.

Last edited:
hmmmm, i was over at the eVGA forums this morning and k|ngp|n was a guest at the LAN4 party not to long again, he did a demo with DI and the new 7series boards using 45nm quads. set a new 3dmark01 record at that too.

I think the new 7 series is going to support 45nm. :beer:

supposed to support 45nm duals but no dice on the quads.

I think Kingpin was using a ES chip with the new 7 series board. That was before Intel changed the unicode on the Quads.

Bottom Line is Intel and Nvidia are in a P1551N9 Contest and the only ones getting wet are the consumer.

It is Bull-donkey and if any consumers had half a brain they would be burning the streets. Or at least take some kind of collective action to hurt these company's where it counts (in the pocket)

Now that AMD is out of the picture and ATI is 2nd best you can be damn sure it will hurt all of us. Make no mistake this is all related to the fact that there is less competition in the market. We are only seeing the beginning.
Strap in its ganna be a bumpy ride!!!!!

My $.02

I see this history before with nforce4 and Intel Pentium D 9xx 65nm...
They said that`s not work, but all one works without some functions.

being that it looks as tho the evga 680i a1 is being discontinued(cant find it online anymore)i wonder if they will replace my mb with a 780i if it happens to die?

Its odd because they stoped selling them about a month ago...

They should have just told everyone "this wont work with the new quads" so we will sell it for less...

being that it looks as tho the evga 680i a1 is being discontinued(cant find it online anymore)i wonder if they will replace my mb with a 780i if it happens to die?

they would, as i assume if you have a 7900GT KO that dies they would step you up to prolly the 8800GT given the MSPR of both cards. they both go for the same price at newegg, well i bought my 7900GT KO 256mb for the same price the 8800GT 512mb is going for now.

well in that article they say the ES's work fine, we dont know about retails.... looks like intel is tring to pressure NV to allow SLI on intel based boards... i dought it will work but you never know what might happen...

it would be a dream come true if NV did it though... X38/X48 with SLI!! YUMMY!

Just wondering what will happen in the OCer scene if 790i "system" benchmark (excluding graphic) is beaten hard by X38 ? ;)

i agree with you wholeheartedly Evil.ive been keeping my fingers crossed since i first heard rumors that x38 would support sli.it would be near perfection to have a 500-550fsb sli capable rig!

@Bing,its really hard to exclude graphics from a ocing decision concerning the 790i tbh.without the sli factor they would likely be...well a nonfactor in the ocing scene.memory tweaking is a great feature of the chipset but without sli i cant see many ocers going with it.

well max if the high end cards can provide enough FPS to warrent people to not go sli. this in the end hurts more cause people will stick it out with a sinlge high end card for the better ocing board. People who really want to game will take sli at the cost of ocing though.. its always going to be a choice... if nv let it happen in the end the would be making money both ways. cause i see NV purists that for them true sli means NV chipset for sli. not all will see it the way we do. they may just think cause its intel based that it wont support sli. without understanding that it doesnt matter who made the chipset it the underlying tech that allows both cf and sli. in some ways we dont give intel enough credit for the video card market cause all of their stuff is onboard. for all we know intel has something that could possibly give ati a run for its money. making intel the new #2 in the video card market. if intel does it just right they wont need NV's sli as they will be toughting there own form of CF/SLI video cards. i was talked about before in the past intel is working on a something for a new standalone video card. there could be a number of tricks ati/amd,nv,intel have up there sleeves we dont know about yet. with intels hold right now on the cpu market this could give intel more time to direct more RD to there video department to bring out a a suprise. im not saying it will happen we just dont know what intel has or is able to do these days. who knows what EE's they might have snaked away from NV or ATI or even Bitboys for that matter. i bring up bitboys cause they had some nice looking hardware on paper and did some protypes but never had the real funds to go retail. if intel snaked bitboys then we are in a for a suprise from intel when/if they finally do release a video card.

Back