• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im fed up with Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
listen bro, if it were that simple ALL of us would be doing that. u said turn the fan up 1000rpm?

if u did and u have a new fan on now, point that fan down, i get u see some more temp shaved off. and are u reading the temps with a thermal probe? if not, the air sucking upwards could be cooling the THERMISTOR better, not the chip.

anything Tom has to say in review like stuff take with a grain of salt, he has posted some flat out stupid articles......

-Malakai

My temps do not go down with a reversed fan. I did put a slightly better fan on a coolermaster, and that helped a lot.

Do some abit boards read 10-20 degrees celcius to high as well? I've gotten an Abit NV&-133R (nforce) and my temps are reading 61-68 degrees celcius. On other boards including a soltek sl75drv2 and Abit kt7a I recieved temps (with the same CPU) of 40-50 degrees celcius. My cpu cooler is a thermaltek volcano 6cu+ with a 5000 rpm fan on it. Also I have the latest bios version for this board and a case that is cooled much better then the other ones were. If this is the problem is there a way to fix it?

you gotta buy good cooling. I have a dual p3 machine and it shoots fire out the back. 9 fans, 1230 grams of copper cooling :)

Stephen de Kok said:
Do some abit boards read 10-20 degrees celcius to high as well? I've gotten an Abit NV&-133R (nforce) and my temps are reading 61-68 degrees celcius. On other boards including a soltek sl75drv2 and Abit kt7a I recieved temps (with the same CPU) of 40-50 degrees celcius. My cpu cooler is a thermaltek volcano 6cu+ with a 5000 rpm fan on it. Also I have the latest bios version for this board and a case that is cooled much better then the other ones were. If this is the problem is there a way to fix it?

Almost all boards (all I've heard of) have a mistake in measuring temps. I'm not sure about the nForce chipset, but I guess you're temps are about 10*C lower. When measuring temps, you calculates in a 10*C mistake by the mobo.

Unfortunently, there is nothing else to do about this than to by an external temperature reader. But all these numbers must be taken with care, they are not exact.

Sorry you had to post the answer twice, hope this helped you out :)

elysium

elysium said:

Almost all boards (all I've heard of) have a mistake in measuring temps. I'm not sure about the nForce chipset, but I guess you're temps are about 10*C lower. When measuring temps, you calculates in a 10*C mistake by the mobo.

Unfortunently, there is nothing else to do about this than to by an external temperature reader. But all these numbers must be taken with care, they are not exact.

Sorry you had to post the answer twice, hope this helped you out :)

elysium

Edit: I thought you had stopped answering these threads jason?? :)

Kevmarks post-
"Same here, I am going intel next time what ever the cost. I have had three heatsinks on this T-Bird and I am still geting extremely high temps, and all these case fans are getting on my nerves."

kevmarks- what three heatsinks did you use? Golden Orb, Chrome Orb and finally a Dragon Orb? :D (jk)

refer to the heatsink rankings on the home page. An sk6 w/ a sunon fan works fine. Also, you might not have good airflow in your case, you need about equal cfm in and out, with the fans positioned in a good pattern. I don't even have any case fans in my brothers computer and Duron 850 stays around 35C.
Thermal Grease (like arctic silver 3) is also very important; Simply apply a very thin layer. And never, ever use thermal tape!

Last edited:
nah i didnt stop answering but i just wanted to bring attention to the fact that other threads cam be read to get your info.

see everytime this is posted i write a novel LOL

but as a senior im glad to help, and if i dont i get electroshock from skip turned up a notch or 2!!!

oc jason said:
nah i didnt stop answering but i just wanted to bring attention to the fact that other threads cam be read to get your info.

see everytime this is posted i write a novel LOL

but as a senior im glad to help, and if i dont i get electroshock from skip turned up a notch or 2!!!

I guess the last part explains it all :D

Kidding, understood you're problem.....

elysium

lol wasnt expecting so many interested board readers reply's.
I understand the issues with asus boards (innacurate readings) and ath xp's (run above normal temp)

My computer was actually shutting down (thank god for asus overheating protection) which means we're talking 80C+ I even ran some tests and games were the problem. Could it have something to do with this model asus board and my graphics card? geforce4 ti4400

Hey tiger what program is that its real cool.
I have a p4 and there is nothing wrong with it. She runs fine, so people plz dont bash P4's, and people i have many friends with athlons, they run fine, plz do nt bash them either lol
Computers are COmputers, it all depends on the user :)

ANYWAYS man try the compunurse thing out.

Compunurse's are amazing man my friends using it. its awsome, works well:cool:

Athlons can handle 70*C before any type of harm is done to the di. As for most of you that say "I am swiching to intel because for cooling" then you got an other thing comming to you according to this a p4 2.0Ghz (.18 micron) will use 100 watts. Also the p4 has a nickle plate covering the di so heat has another barrer to pass through.

Also my temps NEVER go above 33*C even on the hottest days, at a 200+ mhz overclock. I use ASIII and a AX-7 hs, and my case does not sound like a jet taking off!

Also the t-bred will make a less heat than a pally because of .13 micron and It will be faster!

I have a brand new ASUS iPanel if you know what they are. It plugs into your mother board . Led display shows: boot errors,voltages,cpu frequency, fan speeds, and temperatures. Fits 5.25" drive bay.If your interested let me know.

dreamtfk said:
lol wasnt expecting so many interested board readers reply's.
I understand the issues with asus boards (innacurate readings) and ath xp's (run above normal temp)

My computer was actually shutting down (thank god for asus overheating protection) which means we're talking 80C+ I even ran some tests and games were the problem. Could it have something to do with this model asus board and my graphics card? geforce4 ti4400

Then in that case there is a problem and you should turn off the computer untill you figure out what is wrong. Is the heatsink on the right way? No games are not the cause of the problem!!!! They are just heating up the cpu something in your system is not right and need to figure it out before you try to play a game. When I set up a system the first thing I do is go into the bios health screen and watch the temp for 15 minutes to make sure I have the heatsink on right. If it is above normal temps then I reseat it and double check my work. Just because Asus boards read ten high is no reason to overlook those high temps. Good Luck finding the problem!!!!!!

Edit: In your first post you say the highest it goes is 65!!!!! Which is it? You can not expect any help we offer to work unless you supply us with good info. And you now saying that you have temps of 80 is a lot different than 65. If you want help with this issue you are going to have to be honest and informative about what is in youir system.

Edit: Here are the instructions for applying AS2: Instructions for AS2

If you have a way to take a picture of the heatsink attached to the socket it might help us diagnose the problem!!

Last edited:
I tried to explain that as soon as I play a real graphic intensive game my cpu immediately beings to rise. To test this theory I played about 12 minutes and sure enough went from 57C to 70C and if I had kept playing bam it would have shut down I know it.

The heatsink is on correct. Not only did I put it on but I also had the PC Shop put it on the new motherbord so the hs/fan is seated right and is NOT the problem. My cpu as we speak is at 63C and it has been idling on the desktop with no load at all.

there has to be a prob with the mounting. if a load is overheating it, there is a serious problem withy the installation.
wven with just the PSU fan exausting, it shouldn't get that hot.

-Malakai

Theres really only one correct way to put on the hs/fan it isnt that difficult. I followed instructions to a tee and even had the shop put it on one time. I'm wondering if my psu has something to do with it or maybe my Gf4 which is about one month old when the problems started.

BTW: I bought this board and cpu in January and only started having problems about 1 month ago. February through april it was ok no shutdowns or serious overheating.

Your experience must be disconcerting. I have not myself, nor have I heard of others having similar problems.

Check the HSF and all case fans to ensure that they are working. Also, if you are in a particularly dusty environment, it is possible that the HSF is coated with enough dust so as to reduce its effectiveness. I think that this is unlikely, however.

I have 4 AMD's running in my living room right now, and I have not had similar probs.

One thought. Is it possible that the ASUS mobo is shutting down because it "thinks" that the processor is too hot, but in fact, it is just a bad sensor? Just a thought.

*edit, also, you mention that your probs started with the new vid card...

It is possible that the psu is overwhelmed with the high power drain of that card...not overheating...

**edit again, I think that IS the problem, I always look to what has changed close in time to the problem appearing...

Last edited:
Back