• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im fed up with Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I say you give up and buy yourself an Intel CPU.

Btw, can I have your XP? :)

Seriously, if you can't find the answer to your problem with all the expertise posted here, then maybe you'd be better off switching to a Pentium. But then again, what are ya going to do if you have a similiar problem with a Pentium?

Hence the title of the post "Fed up with athlon"
The shop told me they can't switch out for a pentium so they are gonna tear apart my system to find the cause of the overheating.

I really dont undestand all this discussion about how hot AMD's run.. really Intel is not that much cooler.. I am running 5 AMD's of varying varieties and the only one that runs very hot is the XP 1900+.. The athlons i have built or am running are running NO hotter than 45*C (that one is in my sig) it is O/C'd almost 10 % and it is in a desktop case :eek: with an ATA 7200 rpm drive sitting right on top of it.. All i am running is a speeze all Cu heatsink with stock fan.. and i have 2 PS 2 fans blowing across the drive and proc to help direct airflow to PSU.. I have another desktop at work that is inside a black tune up cabinet.. it is a duron 900 @990 mhz (generic ram) It never sees more than 13*F over system temp with similar fan setup the tune up cabinet has only one fan blowing in.. no exhaust..

Really guys, its not that hard to control the heat of an AMD, especially a T-bird.. If heat were such a factor, then how come so many are successful at O/C in excess of 10 %.. I think AMD is really getting a rep that they dont deserve.. If you want to pay more for less, than by all means.. go for an intel.. they are very stable procs and they O/C well too.. Bear in mind though.. If intels are so great then why aren't we all running them.. when i built my xp rig,, i ahd a budget that would have allowed for an intel.. and before the research i did, i was set on a P4.. THEN I SAW LIGHT BABAY.. I am nothing but impressed by my AMD rigs and my intel loving friends are floored when they can see what it can do.. two of them are already going AMD within the year

There's no mention of your case in your sig. What size is it and how many case fans does it have?

The amount of heat generated in your case needs at least one or two 80mm case fans.

You might want to consider backing off on your overclock since there's a heat problem. Is the 1% performance boost worth the headache?

First of all this cpu is brand new locked and unclocked. My case is kinda crappy it has a space up front for one 80mm so I put one in myself (pulled out of old system)

I agree that my case isnt up to par but all the hot air is coming from the cpu to begin with. With one panel removed it shouldnt be running this hot. Current temp. is 53C running idle and I have a Volcano 7 on it which is real noisy when the cpu heats up (auto adjustable fan speed). It is so quiet when I first startup cold turkey. Within 10 minutes it goes up to 50C

IMHO- I think you should ditch the auto adjust fan, and get one that stays at a constant speed.

walaka7- True, Intel's DON'T run that much cooler than AMD's, people just say they do because a lot of people are dumb :D
I've had two different t-birds and two different durons in my bro's pc, and all of them ran fine, not one ever even reaching 50C (and none of them were loud). Right there, two stupid things I hear a lot about AMD's, that they are hot and require loud fans. This is SO NOT TRUE and I'm so sick of hearing it, because it is the user's ignorance that's the problem. (I'm not refering to you dreamtfk).

dreamtfk said:
First of all this cpu is brand new locked and unclocked. My case is kinda crappy it has a space up front for one 80mm so I put one in myself (pulled out of old system)

I agree that my case isnt up to par but all the hot air is coming from the cpu to begin with. With one panel removed it shouldnt be running this hot. Current temp. is 53C running idle and I have a Volcano 7 on it which is real noisy when the cpu heats up (auto adjustable fan speed). It is so quiet when I first startup cold turkey. Within 10 minutes it goes up to 50C

Why are you still running it? Find out what your problem is before you run that computer!!!!!!!! It should not be idleing that hot or getting up to 80. What did the shop say? I would still like to see a pic if you have one. What are your load temps those are the ones that matter idle means nothing except if it is too hot!!!!!!
There has to be a problem somewhere I would suggest you find it before you run one more program on that rig. Good Luck!!!!!

Leaving it at shop monday. I dont care if they have to tear it down and rebuild it to fix the problem. I'm sick of this sh*t
Should have gone pentium like my last 3 systems.

Well, I am still having heat problems. I am currently 60c idle. I have spent all day trying to sort out what the problem could be. I have remounted the heatsink countless times. I have a perfect in print on the bottom of the swiftech. I have even modded the thing so it puts more pressure on the processor, but that didnt help :-(. I then cut out the metal bits in front of the case fans. That also made no difference (cut the noise a little though :) )

I am thinking that it may be my cpu fan. I am using a 60mm thermaltake 31 cfm 4600rpm fan on top of a swiftech MCXC370. I have also modded the heatsink a little more by placing the rubber things on top of the fan rather than underneath, thus placing the fan right on top of the helicoid pins. I have a 92mm sunnon blowing out of the back and an 80mm sunnon blowing in the front. Both are completely unobstructed. I am using a paper thin layer of ASII. Both my hard disks are now placed in the 5 1/4 inch drive bays away from the motherboard. My wiring is extremely tidy. I have no idea what I am doing wrong... for those who are interested, here are my system specs.

T-Bird 1.4 @ 1615 (1.75v, 170Mhz FSB x 9.5)
KR7A-RAID
Generic ram
usual stuff, sound card NIC etc..

PS, In my last post maybe I wasn’t to clear, temp is not the only reason I would prefer an intel, they are also cheaper and much more overclockable. Anyway, lets not turn this in to yet another intel vs amd thread, I think we have all been down the road many times before :)

dreamtfk said:
Leaving it at shop monday. I dont care if they have to tear it down and rebuild it to fix the problem. I'm sick of this sh*t
Should have gone pentium like my last 3 systems.

The problem is with you not troubleshooting the problem. You keep running it without fixing or even attempting to figure it out and then blame it all on AMD. If you want to move to a P-4 more power to you, but this thing can still happen after you move over to the Intel side of the fence. I am still pretty sure the problem is with the way the heatsink is mounted. Good luck with your new system and I hope you don't end up in this position again.

kevmarks said:
PS, In my last post maybe I wasn’t to clear, temp is not the only reason I would prefer an intel, they are also cheaper and much more overclockable. Anyway, lets not turn this in to yet another intel vs amd thread, I think we have all been down the road many times before :)

not wishing to turn this into a AMD vs Intel Thread.. but this is not an accurate statement, is EVERY intel a better overclockers than the AMD version.. of course not, not all processors are made equal

adding to that, Intel might have Mhz but that doesn't mean better performance...

I have thus outlined in this personal ad campain.

intel_ad1.jpg

All jokes aside, I see folks going back and forth all the time and throwin benchmarks and sure the P4 can overclock to like 3ghz.. but what is that in performance terms ?? like a 1.7ghz AMD ??

lol... seriously... :rolleyes:

Btw.. have you been using the socket thermistor to get temps this whole time or have you actually tried a digital probe??

KevMarks said:
KevMarks said: "PS, In my last post maybe I wasn’t to clear, temp is not the only reason I would prefer an intel, they are also cheaper and much more overclockable. Anyway, lets not turn this in to yet another intel vs amd thread, I think we have all been down the road many times before
Who said Intel was cheaper?!?!?!?...did I get u right, you prefer Intel because it is cheaper? Are you trying to get our goats and cause a big debate w/ feathers flying, fur ruffled and horns clashing?

:argue:

You must not know your facts or I misread your posts...AMD is cheaper than INTEL.

Kevmarks, that is a great o/c on a Tbird, but a Tbird needs GOOD COOLING to o/c that high. Tbird 1.4's do get pretty hot, and u need a good HSF for it. I think u mentioned swiftech, so what HSF is it? and what fan is on it?
PS: an XP 1900+ costs the same or less than a p4 1.6A, and with some vreativity they go to 1.8ghz pretty easily, which in turn easily smacks atound a p4 at 2.4ghz, which is an above average o/c on a p4 1.6A.

A few people get 1000mhz o/c's, but most get to 2.2-2.4ghz.in that situation the cheaper Athlon performs better, and IMO tweaking an AMD system is a lot more fun, there is more stuff to mess with.

dreamtfk, i ran my TBIRD with a 10$ coolermaster stock HSF with a thermal pad and 2 80mm like 20cfm case fans, and it topped out on the hotest days at 55c at full load, after hours.
Instead of having the shop troubleshoot it, do it yourself. You will learn a lot and gain valuable knowledge and experience. I would never dream of letting someone else troubleshoot my comp. And i havent had a problem yet that i could'nt figure out and fix.

like was said earlierr, get a digital thermometer (compunurses are 15 dollars at Sidewinder) and find out if the temp is accurate. Remember, putting your own TLC into your comp is what makes it special, everything done to it is custom and by you. u feel a lot better about yourself and your PC when u DIY.

-Malakai

"I hate to be crass but, maybe intel should change it's slogan to "CPU's for dummies" sort of like the dummies book.." - Neco

hehehe how true :D

Intels do have their place.. IN NOTEBOOKS!! J/K.. The Northwoods are a fine chip Intel did a good job with it.. I still wouldnt buy one due to costs.. And like mentioner earlier, AMD's are soo much fun to O/C.. so many things to paint and cut and solder YESSSSSS :burn:

kendan said:

The problem is with you not troubleshooting the problem. You keep running it without fixing or even attempting to figure it out and then blame it all on AMD. If you want to move to a P-4 more power to you, but this thing can still happen after you move over to the Intel side of the fence. I am still pretty sure the problem is with the way the heatsink is mounted. Good luck with your new system and I hope you don't end up in this position again.

Well I have already placed in one 80mm fan myself. I have took out my motherboard and put it back in about 4 times or so I have took everything out examined my case what the hell else am I supposed to do? There is no real space for an 80mm case fan on the back and I have no tools for cutting metal. I love computers but I do not spend all my time nor do I have the time to spend on it.

They sold it to me so they can do the work and be frustrated, I do not know what else to do myself. think I need a new case which I will have to buy from a shop anyhow. I just ordered some rounded cables for HDD Cd-rom and floppy.

My fiend has just finished shopping around for a system and decided on a P4 as it is over 100 pounds cheaper than an amd, and he gets much better performance/cost ratio. Anyway, has anybody any advice for my cooling problems? I am building a duct today I am hoping that helps. Has anybody done this?

Back