• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im fed up with Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
can you give me a link to one of those programs. Umm, all I know is I can leave it running 24/7 with 8 programs running excluding the hidden OS programs that run in the background. Even when i play games like Renegade my temperature never gets above 41 celcius for the chip and 27 celcius for the board. and No i didnt switch any of the fans around. I have two 80 millimeter fans on the front and I have one 80 millimeter in the back that isnt even running right now and the heatpipe. Has always been blowing toward the toward the heatsink. cya!!

dreamtfk said:

I cant find any of these programs could you give me a link. No I never changed around my heatsink it is on correctly.

I am going to include a link to Toast!!! in this post just download it and run it. If you did not turn it around then you still have the same problem. It is not fixed and you should not run Toast until you fix the problem. Toast will make the cpu run at its load temp. Did you take the clip off of the heatsink at any time? If you did it is a very good possibility that the clip is on backwards and that is causing your problem!!!!!

And a little message for those that are commenting without reading the whole thread "Please do not confuse the issue!!!!! Read the whole thread and try to take in what Dreamtfk's problem is." I know it is hard to tune out all of the other stuff in this thread but it is the only way to fix his problem!!!!!!"

I ran toast --- 46 degrees celcius = 114degrees farenheit on the chip

high priority=== 47 degrees celcius= 116 degrees on the chip

thats not bad :) now are you saying turning your fan away from the processor makes it run cooler?

dreamtfk said:
Toast on regualr priority after 24 minutes 60C

Take away the 10 degrees the Asus reads over and it is 50 which is About the top I would let it go. Do your games still crash? I do not see how you got it up to 80 if toast is only getting to 60. I would still look into a better cooling situation. Good Luck!!!!!!

R4lN said:
now are you saying turning your fan away from the processor makes it run cooler?

No!!!! Some heatsinks are designed that way but not many. If it is not designed for that then it will not run cooler!

Heh, I think either im brilliant or just lucky lmao, I put a harddrive cooler in one of my empty cdrom slots. It has two tiny fans on it that pull in air from the outside and it has an aluminum heatsink on it that covers the harddrive. thats a pretty big heat sink. I was thinking to myself I said "self" If i bring the ambient room temperature through this harddrive cooler with no hard drive attached then there is a 6 inch long by 4 inch wide heatsink that the room air passes by. Thus cooling the air inside the case even more. I dropped my chip temperature another 3 degrees celcius now its running at 38 degrees celcius :) 100.4 degrees farenheit. You cant even hear the tiny fans run.

pffft.... i knew i wasnt that smart lmao Actually the chip made it back to its normal temperature. Well almost it is 1 degree celcius cooler, however the board and case temperature are still 2 degrees celcius cooler than before. I think ill leave the harddrive cooler in I kinda like it ;-)

Well

What's your room tempature?

How many case fans do you have, also have you cleaned up all your case fans?

Hmm... If you've tried artic silver, etc.

Then the only thing it is your room tempature, psu, or case.

Well, if you've replaced the motherboard and chip.. Its not AMD, It's you.

Good Contact?

Over at work we have a p4 1.5 gig on an Asus P4B.

The XP 1500+ I built for my designer friend who works on the P4 says it thrashes the P4 at any application (except 3D rendering, because it's using the onboard ProSavage and the P4 system has a Riva TNT2 AGP card). Every time. It costs less, too.

Here's the kicker: The P4 temp reading in Bios is 65, yes I kid you not, 65 Celsius.

The Athlon XP uses a bottom-of-the-barrel Volcano II HSF.

It idles at about 42, using Vcool. When you figure temps in this part of the world this time are 36 and above, that's very impressive.

I'm sure you've done all you can, but just moving to Intel may not be enough.

I've also skipped the second and third page of the thread but I wanted to talk about this stupid heat issue with the Asus boards. And that 'Intel runs Cooler'. Not necessarily. I don't know why Asus can't correct this dumb issue with all their motherboards. It would make life a lot simpler.

Sang

kevmarks said:
My fiend has just finished shopping around for a system and decided on a P4 as it is over 100 pounds cheaper than an amd, and he gets much better performance/cost ratio. Anyway, has anybody any advice for my cooling problems? I am building a duct today I am hoping that helps. Has anybody done this?

Yeah, Me too.

I built the following systems:

ONE:

P4 1.6 GHz
Asus P4B
PC133 512 MB
Seagate Barracuda 40GB Disk
17" Samsung monitor
Riva TNT2 Graphics card

TWO:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Soltek SL-75 DRV2
512 MB PC2100 DDR (Hynix)
Seagate Barracuda 40 GB disks x 2.
19" Samsung 755 DF
GEForce 2 Titanium 500

Jeez, AMD systems are expensive. I actually found that the P4, surprise, was a lot cheaper to build than the AMD system. AMD better pull up its socks and give us a price cut, or I'm going to go for a Intel the next time.

Wait a second...

sangram said:

Yeah, Me too.

I built the following systems:

ONE:

P4 1.6 GHz
Asus P4B
PC133 512 MB
Seagate Barracuda 40GB Disk
17" Samsung monitor
Riva TNT2 Graphics card

TWO:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Soltek SL-75 DRV2
512 MB PC2100 DDR (Hynix)
Seagate Barracuda 40 GB disks x 2.
19" Samsung 755 DF
GEForce 2 Titanium 500

Jeez, AMD systems are expensive. I actually found that the P4, surprise, was a lot cheaper to build than the AMD system. AMD better pull up its socks and give us a price cut, or I'm going to go for a Intel the next time.

Wait a second...
whoa dude, those systems are totally different. the p4 systwm is crap, and the AMD system there is good. sdram and a tnt2 vid card versus DDR and a g2Ti?

if course that p4 sys is gonna be cheaper, its a garbage system.

AMD has price/performance, period.

That above comparison is like comparing apples to oranges.

-Malakai

Malakai said:

whoa dude, those systems are totally different. the p4 systwm is crap, and the AMD system there is good. sdram and a tnt2 vid card versus DDR and a g2Ti?

if course that p4 sys is gonna be cheaper, its a garbage system.

AMD has price/performance, period.

That above comparison is like comparing apples to oranges.

-Malakai

There's one who didn't get his jollies from it...

I meant it sarcastically. Of course I know the P4 is a crap system.

:rolleyes:

sangram said:

There's one who didn't get his jollies from it...

I meant it sarcastically. Of course I know the P4 is a crap system.

:rolleyes:

a smiley face might help convey your sarcasm, for a minute there i was really thinking u were a dumb@ss:D

(notice the use of the smiley to convey that i am joking:))

-Malakai

sorry for the crapped thread, lets get it back on track.

dreamTFK's Athlon is overheating and we are all trying to figure out why.

Haywire, how about reading the thread before posting, we have been over that many times.

any other idea's to help dreamtfk out??

-Malakai

Ok. I've just read four pages of posts to try and sift through the rhetoric, the joke :), and the BS.

Way back in the beginning I noticed that there was a GREAT post on positive/negative air pressure and no-one ever mentioned it... so I will.

What you have here is a severe lack of air flow. Ever noticed why all of the "AMD approved" cases have both an intake and exhaust fan set up with one being in the front and the other in the back?

You've put a super-charged 454 in the back of an air cooled VW and are left wondering why the 'air cooling' isn't working.

Get a new case or cut a hole in the back of yours for an exhaust fan. After joining this forum I was perplexed by my the temps on my home rig (XP1800+, AK31, Antec SX840 Case, 40/54) so I began experimenting with fan configurations.

I had the two fans on the back of the case (notice 2 case fans just on the back) pointing towards the cpu, and the two on the front blowing out. When I switched the direction, front=in/back=out, my temps dropped like a prom dress (28/40). I also reapplied my Artic Silver after I flipped the fans which gave me the extra drop.

Thus...........check your air-flow... you don't have any.

Wedo

OK People, Wedo made a good point I forgot to mention I also have an exhaust fan in the back of my case. Now that is important but even more important is cutting the built in screens out of your case. The screens block 65% of the airflow coming in and going out. Yes 65%. If i was 65% malnutritioned I would be in a world of hurt. Just like your computers without proper inlet and outlet holes. Ok now, here is my setup as of right now. I was playing around with a harddrive cooler in one of my slots but I took it out. ECS-k7s5a
gigahertz t-bird overclocked to 1032
256 meg of 2100 ddr pny ram
soundblaster audigy platinum
nvidia gforce4 ti-4400
maxtor 40gig 7200
plexwriter 40/12/40a
liteon 40x12x48x
KDS 19 inch Avitron

if i left anything out :p sorry now for my cooling.
2- 80mm intake fans in the front
1-80mm exhaust fan in the back
harddrive cooler on harddrive
fan on video card obviously
THE HEAT PIPE on my processor
and obvious one in power supply
THATS IT!!! RESULT= 37degrees celcius on chip at idle
27degrees celcius board and case temp

41degrees celcius on chip under load
30degrees celcius on on board and case under load. Thats with like 8 programs running in taskbar plus playing resource sucking games like renegade.

OH ONE OTHER THING. IF YOU DONT LIKE HEARING THE FANS BLOWING AT YOU, YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A CASE WITH A THICK PLASTIC COVER AROUND THE SIDES AND THE FRONT. I HAD ONE AND IT WAS VERY QUIET. WHEN I TOOK ONE OF THE SIDES OFF IT SOUNDED LIKE AN AIRPLANE LMAO L8R ALL!

Back