• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im fed up with Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dreamtfk said:

Well I have already placed in one 80mm fan myself. I have took out my motherboard and put it back in about 4 times or so I have took everything out examined my case what the hell else am I supposed to do? There is no real space for an 80mm case fan on the back and I have no tools for cutting metal. I love computers but I do not spend all my time nor do I have the time to spend on it.

They sold it to me so they can do the work and be frustrated, I do not know what else to do myself. think I need a new case which I will have to buy from a shop anyhow. I just ordered some rounded cables for HDD Cd-rom and floppy.

You say you have taken the Motherboard out but have you taken off the heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste? My advice is to take it to the shop and let then find the problem if you do not want to put in the time and the effort, but please do not run it. There is a good chance you will fry something if you continue to run it. I wish you the best and I hope the shop makes things right. If this was a rig that my mom bought from a shop and was left to fix it on her own I would be having a serious conversation with the shop. I am just curious why it has taken you so long to take it back to the shop if it has been like this since you got it. (crashing in games and unstability) Or has it just started happening after you added something or changed something. If it was after you added something what was the last thing you added or changed. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

dreamtfk said:
Leaving it at shop monday. I dont care if they have to tear it down and rebuild it to fix the problem. I'm sick of this sh*t
Should have gone pentium like my last 3 systems.

This is the part of this thread that I do not like. It is not an AMD problem. I have several AMD systems and no such problem. Most of the people that are members of this forum have AMDs and don't have this problem. You cannot blame AMD.

I have told you what I think the problem is: A bad sensor on the mobo, and possible a complication with the vid card.

Running a stock speed AMD system is not very hard. It is similar to running a stock speed Intel system. A bigger HSF, yes. But that is about it.

If I could use my stck hs/fan I would be happy but as soon as I start the system it goes to about 65C in no time. This volcano 7 keeps a bit cooler 52C-57C but it is so loud I hate it. I cant put the panel back on cause it gets too hot. I need a new case with exhaust fans.

I have been guessing about the GF4 causing problems. Maybe a different brand mobo would help? I'm a big fan of Asus though...

kevmarks said:
My fiend has just finished shopping around for a system and decided on a P4 as it is over 100 pounds cheaper than an amd, and he gets much better performance/cost ratio. Anyway, has anybody any advice for my cooling problems? I am building a duct today I am hoping that helps. Has anybody done this?

finding a P4 system for over 100 pounds cheaper than an amd? In the UK, maybe. But in the U.S. Athlons are cheaper.

dreamtfk said:
If I could use my stck hs/fan I would be happy but as soon as I start the system it goes to about 65C in no time. This volcano 7 keeps a bit cooler 52C-57C but it is so loud I hate it. I cant put the panel back on cause it gets too hot. I need a new case with exhaust fans.

I have been guessing about the GF4 causing problems. Maybe a different brand mobo would help? I'm a big fan of Asus though...

Ok. Now you say that the Volcano 7 is at 52-57? That is just fine because you have to remember that you asus is probably registering about 10 deg. high.

It may be too loud, but that is because you side is off. If you put the side on, you need better air flow. Which way is you psu fan blowing?

Well, built my duct. This has got me down to 54c idle! I think the fan on the swiftech is the problem in my system.

flounder43 said:

Ok. Now you say that the Volcano 7 is at 52-57? That is just fine because you have to remember that you asus is probably registering about 10 deg. high.

It may be too loud, but that is because you side is off. If you put the side on, you need better air flow. Which way is you psu fan blowing?

It is blowing out (exhaust) I have no slots for rear fans on this case though it's a pos. Regardless why cant I use my factory hs/fan that came with the cpu? When I use it, it's almost as if there isnt even a fan attatched but I checked and it workin properly.

flounder43 said:

He is talking Idle not load.

Do not run you rig anymore until you find the problem or the shop finds it please!!!!!!!

Here are a couple more thoughts on yuor problem. You say you are positive the heatsink is on right but is the clip oriented the right way it can not go both. It has to be on a certain way and if you reversed it it could cause the problem you are having. Good Luck!!!!!

kevmarks said:
Well, built my duct. This has got me down to 54c idle! I think the fan on the swiftech is the problem in my system.

Which way is your fan blowing on your heatsink? Why did you not start your own thread yet?

kendan said:

Which way is your fan blowing on your heatsink? Why did you not start your own thread yet?

The fan on the heatsink is supposed to blow out the hot air correct? Is there any way that a fan could be spinning the wrong way and blowing the hot air back onto the heatsink? My heatsink is attatched correctly I did it the same way the shop did it when they replaced my mobo.

I have one question about the Vocano 7 there is a red and black twisted wire with a 3 pin connector I connected this to the cpu_fan on my mobo. There is also a single yellow wire coming from the Volcano also with a 3 pin connector just like the black and red. What is this for?

Last edited:
dreamtfk said:

The fan on the heatsink is supposed to blow out the hot air correct? Is there any way that a fan could be spinning the wrong way and blowing the hot air back onto the heatsink? My heatsink is attatchec correctly I did it the same way the shop did it when they replaced my mobo.

Thank you for answering the question to Kev. No the fan is supposed to blow at the heatsink on most heatsinks. Turn it around and I bet your temps will drop into normal range then give us an Idle temp and a load temp. the load temp is the important one. Good luck

I have one question about the Vocano 7 there is a red and black twisted wire with a 3 pin connector I connected this to the cpu_fan on my mobo. There is also a single yellow wire coming from the Volcano also with a 3 pin connector just like the black and red. What is this for?

Connect the one with the red and black to the powersupply by way of a 3 to 4 pin connector. The connect the yellow wire to the motherboard so you can monitor the fan RPM's in motherboard monitor 5.

Edit: Make sure the clip is oriented the right way when you put it back together and always reapply thermal paste when you take the heatsink off.

Last edited:
I've read that it is better to put a small drop of thermal paste onto the heatsink where it touches the cpu instead of putting it directly onto the cpu.

Right now my temp says 53C to with the Asus misreading I take it as about 43C I dont think my cpu is in danger of frying this fan drives me nuts though the factory fan is so quiet. The hs/fan is on the right way

I have to put my hand real close to the fan to feel a little air coming out so it appears to be blowing onto the heatsink. The little angle on the heatsink matches the angle on the the cpu seat as well and it is as flat as I can get it.

dreamtfk said:
Right now my temp says 53C to with the Asus misreading I take it as about 43C I dont think my cpu is in danger of frying this fan drives me nuts though the factory fan is so quiet. The hs/fan is on the right way

I have to put my hand real close to the fan to feel a little air coming out so it appears to be blowing onto the heatsink. The little angle on the heatsink matches the angle on the the cpu seat as well and it is as flat as I can get it.

Now that you know your Idle temp what is your load temp. The load temp can be found by running a program like F@H,Prime95, Seti, or toast. Let us know what that temp is and whether it crashes while you are getting that temp. And was it already blowing towards the heatsink or did you switch iut around?

Edit: there should be an arrow on the side of the fan telling you which way it blows!!

flounder43 said:

finding a P4 system for over 100 pounds cheaper than an amd? In the UK, maybe. But in the U.S. Athlons are cheaper.

nope, in the UK everything is expensive, especally the P4, either he got a good deal or spent as much time looking at the competition as mac users (before another huge debate starts - i dont care, infact i have a mac infront of me right now)

going back to the point at hand, 53 degrees celcus is not much to worry about, anything over 65 is, but please remember that many class A amplifiers are designed to run at 50-60 degrees to save money and make it more pratical (no fans and stuff) this is done at no risk to the life of the mosfet as the temp is kept withing the guidlines.

the processor is in no danger, and the ammount of effort and time put into tring to solve this problem is definatly greater then the reward tou will get by having a cpu 5-10 degrees cooler.

oh, the AMD specs for good cooling is a fan at the front and back, something all cases should have.

My amd t bird was running at 165 degrees. It was super hot and I didnt notice it. I finally noticed that it was getting hot enuff to make my computer do some crazy things. I originally was going to buy a volcano 7+ or a glaciator2. Oh the reason i know i was running that hot is because i installed motherboard monitor. (MBM5). Anyway, I ended up getting this heatsink called THE HEAT PIPE. it is a copper heatsink and fan that has two copper tubes coming out of it to dissapate heat. Inside those tubes it creates condensation and somehow is used like the tubing in a radiator of a car. My temperature dropped 60 degrees just like that. And i was running a thermaltake in my computer to begin with. the fan that is used spins at 1000 less RPMs than a volcano7+ soo a bigger fan would cool it down even more. The way it is right now it is supposed to be able to cool all the way up to a 3 gigahertz without problems. OR, you could look into the other version of the Heat pipe. It is called the Alps and its performance is almost as good as The original heat pipe. The only difference is that the Alps has alot slower fan. They claim you cant even hear it run at all. it puts out 14.8 cfms but something they have done to the heatsink makes it perform. Soo, That is an option to you I love my heatpipe im glad I got it. Read some reviews on it you will find it outperforms the other heatsink and fans. l8r bro

kendan said:

Now that you know your Idle temp what is your load temp. The load temp can be found by running a program like F@H,Prime95, Seti, or toast. Let us know what that temp is and whether it crashes while you are getting that temp. And was it already blowing towards the heatsink or did you switch iut around?

Edit: there should be an arrow on the side of the fan telling you which way it blows!!

I cant find any of these programs could you give me a link. No I never changed around my heatsink it is on correctly.

Back