• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm thirsty for electricty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think I am just going to plug it in and hope for the best. What are my chances of blowing it up?

Whew, nothing blew up. CPUZ says the voltage is what I set it at in the bios. Is it a good program to monitor voltage with?

LOL, nothing happens when I turn the knob. I am guessing it is the ground?

Sorry for the late reply!

You would need to desolder the VR to check the resistance. I would simply cut the hotpoint wire at the VR, and solder it back on afterwards. You could then cut the ground wire, and replace it with a 3-pin fan plug to make the mod removeable.

LOL, nothing happens when I turn the knob. I am guessing it is the ground?

Are both leads cleanly and fully connected?

How far have you tried changeing the VR's resitance? Depending on the mod/VR size used, overvolts sometimes won't start kicking in untill you've lowered resistance enough - which may take quite a few turns of the VR's adjstment knob. Keep in mind that each half turn of that knob is a fairly small change in resistance.

I twisted it 4 or 5 times, nothing happened. I'll try to resolder it, check the resistance, etc.

Ok, I re-soldered everything, I even tried a new Potentiometer. Still nothing happens in CPUZ when I twist the knob.

Oh well.

matttaylor said:
Try checking the voltage in the boards bios, cpuz might not be reading the changes.

Yay, it works!

Thank you guys sooooooooooooooo much!

Back