• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable CPU *Unsubstantiated Rumor*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've read this before, and as I have said in the past, why would Intel stop selling what has made them the most money? Who would solder these on? The motherboard manufacturers? Makes no sense. I believe this all started as one websites plan to get a ton of hits, and has spread from there.

Broadwell is a laptop-specific part. Most/many laptops already use BGA stuff.
The real question is whether Broadwell will go next to Haswell and whatever the next desktop chip is, or if it'll replace it.

Atoms have been BGA only since the beginning.

A couple days ago I did some looking into this and found one (1) site that had anything, it had an almost certainly fake Intel roadmap (looked nothing like any others I've ever seen) and was in horrible english.
The sites that are reporting it now are either not citing any source (or even claiming to have one) or are citing each other.

I do not believe it.

I don't want to believe it either, but no many well known sites are coming on board with this "Rumor". You would hope Intel would make a statement to clarify or at least deny these reports...

Naaa, I think Intel is LOLSOSing so hard, they wont even acknowledge it.

Like they are: "Though Intel declined to comment, a source familiar with Intel's plans said reports "have taken a lot of liberties" with the interpretation of the company's future strategy."

Makes no sense, no good citing of information, and a terrible business move. This is just like the rumors that AMD was ditching Piledriver, and the one that came out recently citing they were dumping Kaveri / Steamroller too.

Not sure why people drop these turd bombs, but it is obnoxious :-/

Hits.
Every one of us that clicked that link made that site money.
They don't lose money for being wrong or make money from being right. The money comes from people showing up on the site.

I think it would increase the laptop cost because of the cost for variety and combinations.

Last edited:
A lot of laptops already have soldered CPUs. I'd say over half.
Dell isn't going to take chip A out and put chip B in if you order a laptop with chip B, they'll already have inserted a bunch of As and a bunch of Bs into laptops, you'll just get a B.

I think it would increase the laptop cost because of the cost for verity and combinations.
Variety? Wouldn't there be less variety if there are no desktop variants of the same architecture? And that ^^. Already soldered anyway for some.

Yeh I don't buy it at all and as far as it being big news for AMD I say not at all. Intel might do this for a certain product line but to say they are going to do this for all of there products is silly. You think they can just do this from entry level all the way to server level? No likely... there will always be an enthusiast line for them and although this may replace the most entry level desktop processors it is very unlikely to replace the mid to high end products. Plus people like products like the mac mini and BGA is perfect for products like that. I think intel just launched a failboat mini computer product that is very overpriced and underpowered but it shows that they think there is a demand for such a product. So for something like that permanent is perfectly fine especially when things like power delivery are going to be capable of only specific chips... putting in something more power hungry would be out of the question so why use a socket anyways?

I just see intel adding a new product to the line up not taking a proven way of doing things away!

PCPER gobbled this up and is their front page...

Anyway, the PCPER article is the only one I read regarding this and it does bring up some good points which are good and bad to the industry and generally bad for AMD....

Seriously, if Intel does this transition, then they are basically telling AMD they do not consider them competition anymore.... like they don't exist to them...

This also can be good or bad for enthusiasts, especially benchers/gamers who like to OC systems.

Many people I play BF3 with online tend to play on systems they build, but with little to no overclocking... what's the point if many games play at very good FPS on hardware right out of the box?

If this is true, it will change custom system builder.

i highly doubt intel would ever stop making cpus that can be easily upgraded on the motherboard,it would be like them shooting themselves in the foot as im sure a good portion of there sales come from people upgrading there cpus on there current systems.

A lot of laptops already have soldered CPUs. I'd say over half.
Dell isn't going to take chip A out and put chip B in if you order a laptop with chip B, they'll already have inserted a bunch of As and a bunch of Bs into laptops, you'll just get a B.

I was looking at the market, it's hard to predict what the sales would be for a given cpu, so you could not order motherboards by bulk, thus saving money. Then ordering the cpu's by demand.

Ordering bulk of every cpu motherboard combination sounds expensive because of a loss of profit trying to sell everything.

Last edited:
That article is nothing but blather. The MFG process is not so inflexible that they can't use the process for socket. That's just nothing but silly nonsense. I think the cnet articles are turning into trash lately.

As is said above also, if you follow the money - the PC market is not dropping any time soon but I would be surprised if major shifts didn't happen in the next 5 years, especially on the business side.

Why Intel do this? This action making Intel killing computer enthusiast due it BGA.

So, which is the right factor?
1. My mother said the computer era was ended and it slowly replaced by tablet and smartphone. But, if tablet and smartphone are more faster than desktop computer?
2. Intel forgot about enthusiast and they more focus to consumer (which they do casual activity), like Microsoft who forgotten about enthusiast due it's Start screen UI and it's doesn't suit to enthusiast, but more suitable to casual users.

This is FUD. I've checked into it (obviously not with Intel directly, but with people who know people) and there is nothing to substantiate this rumor that I can find, inside or outside Intel. Believe me, if I checked into it and it were true, we'd be shouting it from the front page in massive bold letters. It just doesn't seem to have any merit.

To stem confusion, I'm going to add this post to the OP and edit the title. We don't want to propagate what appear to be untrue rumors.

Back