• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IQYHA0351MPMW vs IQYHA0348XPMW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey OC, i got one of this XPMW's too. I thought it was a good deal cause the first OC chip i used with a 1700 JIUHB XPMW chip... it did like a 800MHZ overclock. I'm having the same problems you are. I'm having a difficult time pushing the FSB past 201. I think it may be my abit baord. it's memtest stable to 237, but not windows/prime stable. I'm running 2500 with 200*12.5 @ 1.825Vcore. I did 2600 with 1.925, but temps were too high. It's still high now with water cooling (46idle, 54 load).

Good luck with your OC progress, i'm going to try to switch over to DFI and see if that helps any. I know with a DFI IU, it's windows stable at 231FSB.... maybe my oc's will be higher too.

man i ran my setup stable for 12 hours using prime at 2500(12.5x200) with 1.77 volts but we're having a heatwave over here so i've back it off to 2400(12x200) with 1.65 volts. at 2500 i hit 51 degrees max load and now that i've backed it off to a lower speed and voltage i'm actually at the same max load again... frikkin heat!!! i'm boiling in my room man. i might have to run 2400 all summer and then see what i can do when temps are cooler. anybody have any suggestions? i was running my Tt SF II at 80% of it's max rpm bcuz i didn't see any temp differences when run at full strength. plus it's loud =/

man i wish i had a IQYHA 0351 MPMW, is there any place to get one of these? i think excaliber's out.

I think you still have a good chance of getting that stepping if you order a M-2600+ from newegg.

but is it guaranteed? i don't want to get a bad stepping. I really should have gotten the MPMW when i had the chance.

I'd buy the 2600+ IQYHA 0352MPMW from excaliber. Haven't seen alot of results from them but the few I have seen are similar to Sentential's. The IQYHA 0351MPMW isn't really any better, the potential in both is about the same.

Every post I've seen in the last several weeks from those who got the M-2600+ from newegg received one with the IQYHA 0351MPMW stepping, including myself. But, no, there is still no guarantee.

Overclocking CPUs is very random, you simply cannot predict anything by reading the code written on it. It's 99% luck of the draw.

Akira283-IGN said:
Overclocking CPUs is very random, you simply cannot predict anything by reading the code written on it. It's 99% luck of the draw.

There is luck but not 99% of the time for a given stepping. Look @ the 1700 JIUHB XPMW chip stepping. Look @ this stepping IQYHA 0352MPMW and IQYHA 0351MPMW. I haven't seen one with GOOD cooling and PSU etc. not do 2.5GHz. I'm not saying there isn't one out there that won't. I'm saying about 95% of the do, that is not "luck of the draw".

Psyko

Psykoikonov said:
There is luck but not 99% of the time for a given stepping. Look @ the 1700 JIUHB XPMW chip stepping. Look @ this stepping IQYHA 0352MPMW and IQYHA 0351MPMW. I haven't seen one with GOOD cooling and PSU etc. not do 2.5GHz. I'm not saying there isn't one out there that won't. I'm saying about 95% of the do, that is not "luck of the draw".

Psyko

LOL, ok:

1) I doubt you've been to every forum on the internet and talked to every overclocker with this CPU.
2) Not every overclocker posts their results on an internet forum.
3) Overclockers are a minority in the world of computers, so most CPUs of a certain model don't get overclocked.
4) Everyone uses different cooling, motherboards and RAM, so results are hardly comparable.

Thus, your "about 95%" has no factual basis. It's just a guess, and that's all any overclocker can do, just guess what a CPU will get. It's not a science.

Akira283-IGN said:
LOL, ok:

1) I doubt you've been to every forum on the internet and talked to every overclocker with this CPU.
2) Not every overclocker posts their results on an internet forum.
3) Overclockers are a minority in the world of computers, so most CPUs of a certain model don't get overclocked.
4) Everyone uses different cooling, motherboards and RAM, so results are hardly comparable.

Thus, your "about 95%" has no factual basis. It's just a guess, and that's all any overclocker can do, just guess what a CPU will get. It's not a science.

The point is that *THIS* stepping was made from a high quality wafer, as apposed to some others I see.

It may be luck of the draw...but thats ONLY because pplz dont get the same CPU from the same wafer. Sure the quality may be different, but its very small.

The IQYHA 0352 MPMW stepping is damn good and does 2.6ghz with around 1.8v.

Sentential said:
The point is that *THIS* stepping was made from a high quality wafer

Another guess, but you have no proof.

Sentential said:
The IQYHA 0352 MPMW stepping is damn good and does 2.6ghz with around 1.8v.

No, that's one CPU from one wafer. If you knew anything about CPU production, you'd know that results from a particular wafer can be all over the map.

Akira283-IGN said:
Another guess, but you have no proof.

Guess or not, it has been proven many times that that particular CPU stepping overclocks better than others, that's good enough proof for me.

Akira283-IGN said:
No, that's one CPU from one wafer. If you knew anything about CPU production, you'd know that results from a particular wafer can be all over the map.

its not just one CPU from one waffer, I doubt that all the IQYHA 0351MPMW came from just one waffer... This particular stepping clearly is a better overclocker.
There's no doubt stepping make the difference, if you look at some old threads from the Tbird/Palomino age, you'll see that by knowing your CPU stepping you already knew whether you got a good *potential* overclocker on your hands or a crappy one

Newer steppings have more overclocking potential, it's that simple. Just buy a CPU and hope for the best.

Akira283-IGN said:
Newer steppings have more overclocking potential, it's that simple.

That's not that simple, the best OCing TBredBs were the DLT3Cs from week 11 of '03, till the much later week 30+ chips, the 0311's were supirior overclockers

Akira283-IGN said:
Just buy a CPU and hope for the best.

Agreed.

Dukemurmur said:
Your run a CPU burn in proggie...prime actually does a nice job...also "somtimes" .5 multies can cause instability....so try to lower the fsb or just up it 2 13 multi and give that a try at 1.95 volts....but before you do that get ur self a SLK900U or the likes...ur CPU will thnk u very much.....you can put the Silent boost fan on it...you will get MUCH better temps :attn:

Dunno how old this is because I am too lazy to look, and I am too tired to read the rest, but right now, I have my Barton 2500 mobile at this speed with that voltage on my Volcano 12 with AS5. It is running beautifully, runs the perl command "fork while fork" (does the same thing as prime95, runs the CPU to 99.9 percent, except it can't be conveniently turned off...) and it stablizes after about 30 minutes right around 50.5C (From ~37.5C Idle temp) and just hangs there. This is with my fan, which sounds more like a boat motor as high speeds, doing 4300 of 5500 RPM. It is really quite nice.

"Newer steppings have more overclocking potential, it's that simple. Just buy a CPU and hope for the best."

If steppings *really* didn't matter, there would be absolutely no buzz over the "latest steppings" and the "good oc'er" chips. But there is. It is pretty obvious that, in general, steppings DO, in fact, affect the overclockability (is that a word?) of a chip. Of course, you can't be too confident, since overclocking is a game of "chance," it is an art, which is what you are saying, but there is science to it as well. You can't deny that.

Steppings do seem to give a better chance that you can OC better. I may try the newer 0352 from excaliber, but i'm kinda hesitant. I'm already doing 2500 (12.5*200) @ 1.85, i don't think that 2600 @1.8 is worth the extra $105. But then again, this is a hobby isn't it?

Back