• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU Dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheeseiron

Registered
Hello.
I just built a new computer. The specs are Asus P8Z77 Mobo, i5-3570k CPU, GTX 480 GPU, 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram (single), and the power supply powering it all is a Thermaltake Toughpower 750w standard (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1502#Tab) which I BTW bought used... I no thats typically a no-no but thats how it is...

The first 24 hours went very well, I could run Crysis 2 maxed out lagglessly, Unigine, etc... I set up my steam games to download during the night and went to bed... The next day, I installed and played the free mod DayZ, for arma 2. I played for about half and hour, and suddenly, at a very non-intensive part of the game to be exact, and without any warnign, my PC just flatout shutdown. No errors, no BSOD, nothing. I am on a surge protector, so I ruled out a power surge. When I rebooted, I made sure no overclocks were on, just to rule out any overheating. THen I booted up and got back into DayZ (basically arma 2 OA) for about 15 minutes and it happened AGAIN. This time in the bios, I turned fan speed to turbo, to enhance cooling. I got into windows, and started arma 2 shortly after. Then, as a test, I decided to run the Arma 2 graphics benchmarker. The VERY second that it finished loading, my computer shut down. When it booted up again, it came up with a message "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Antisurge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit" Now I realized I might have an issue with my power supply, so I shut down and have been doing research on a new PSU. I was looking into that for the future anyways, but I wanted to get the opinion of this forum first. I am most likely going to get the Corsair AX850 PSU, and I am asking, if A:Is it my PSU causing this issue and B: Will this new PSU be a necessary fix (and yes I know it is overkill but I want room to grow)

Thank you...
-Cheeseiron:salute:

That thing really ought to be able to take it, but it does sound like it could be the PSU.

You can check the voltage it is putting out with a multimeter if you have one.
If not, replacing that PSU with a known good unit certainly isn't a bad idea.
An 850w is a bit overkill for a 77w CPU and 300w GPU though.

If you can't check with a multimeter I'd hold off on gaming until you have a new PSU.

With a multimeter, put the black probe into either middle pin of a Molex.
With the red probe check the voltage on a yellow wire in a Molex, it should be 12v or so.
The red wire should be 5v.
Orange wires should be 3.3v.

With the multimeter reading the 12v start a 3d load and observe the voltage. If it goes way down or way up, there's your culprit.
If it doesn't, it may be something else.

FIXED

Hey, thanks Bobnova... I did not do a multimeter test, but I was pretty sure the PSU was failing. So today I went to Frys and picked up the Corsair AX750... And thats been sofar working like a charm... Thank you so much for the help...

-Cheeseiron

Back