• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Italy is in sight!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
QuietIce said:
Not to get into a spitting match but so does Picasso (aka ductworks), my 4400+ econobox, and it didn't cost nearly as much ... ;)

True, true. I also have an Opty 165 at 2705 crunching away and is presently ramping back up in RAC like the rest of my farm. It also got hit by the stoppage I had with most of my machines. Never did figure out why they quit downloading new work and after shutting the BOINC client down and restarting the client they are all behaving. But these AMD DC machines are pretty good folders themselves. But my Opty rig was able to get over 1500 RAC before the new work quit downloading.

QuietIce said:
Not to get into a spitting match but so does Picasso (aka ductworks), my 4400+ econobox, and it didn't cost nearly as much ... ;)

True. But I still think its awesome considering that your 4400+ runs at 2.5Ghz - where the E6300 can do this at stock 1.86Ghz.
Wait until the E6320 and E6420 hit stores. They have 4MB L2 :attn:

Theya are already for sale at the egg, but they are priced too high for now. Typical actions of Newegg on hard to find or high demand items.

It's not that I'm 100% against Intel (just 99% ;)) - that's because of their history and my stubborn outlook on business.

But it won't stop me from building an "old" C2D econobox in 2-3 years ... :D

Sorry, was away for a week and a HALF so my RAC dropped below 600, but now that Im back its already back to over 800. COME ON MY BRETHREN OF NO LIVES (well, I dont have one) ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH.

QuietIce said:
It's not that I'm 100% against Intel (just 99% ;)) - that's because of their history and my stubborn outlook on business.

But it won't stop me from building an "old" C2D econobox in 2-3 years ... :D
I just jump on what gives best bang for the buck. Rigth now thats Intel...Later this year when AMD releases their "true" quad core (Barcelona?) I migth buy on of those...

In fact I am looking into a low-end AM2 X2 setup rigth now, for my parents in law...

Dk Jedi Allianc said:
I just jump on what gives best bang for the buck. Rigth now thats Intel...Later this year when AMD releases their "true" quad core (Barcelona?) I migth buy on of those...

In fact I am looking into a low-end AM2 X2 setup rigth now, for my parents in law...

QFT. I am a fanboy of my wallet, not either Intel or AMD. I go with the best bang for the buck for whatever purpose I'm building a system for. If it's a dedicated folder/cruncher, then it's Intel C2D right now. But it's hard to turn your nose up at a $65 DC AMD proc to build a cheap, high performance general use machine for your parents or brothers and sisters. That is one hell of a good deal right now.

That's why I'm stuck on 939 systems right now - crunching on the cheap. Picasso (the 4400+ wall mount) ran me ~$330 for the basics (MB, CPU, RAM) back in November and I'll soon be assembling another 939 Opty 165 for about the same. With both systems I had to spend $100-$150 for one "retail" part - RAM for one, a CPU for the other. I expect prices to get better as others move on to newer systems and sell off their 939 parts. :D

If I could build a C2D system for $600 that churns out 2800/day consistently I might think about it - and with the new price cuts, well, we'll see ... ;)

Last edited:
QuietIce said:
That's why I'm stuck on 939 systems right now - crunching on the cheap. Picasso (the 4400+ wall mount) ran me ~$330 for the basics (MB, CPU, RAM) back in November and I'll soon be assembling another 939 Opty 165 for about the same. With both systems I had to spend $100-$150 for one "retail" part - RAM for one, a CPU for the other. I expect prices to get better as others move on to newer systems and sell off their 939 parts. :D

If I could build a C2D system for $600 that churns out 2800/day consistently I might think about it - and with the new price cuts, well, we'll see ... ;)

For the sole purpuse of crunching - its better to go with 1-2 C2D systems than 3-4 AMD systems ATM

Dk Jedi Allianc said:
For the sole purpuse of crunching - its better to go with 1-2 C2D systems than 3-4 AMD systems ATM
IDK what OC (if any) muddoctor is running on his E6600 but it's best output (2800) is almost double my 4400+ @ 2.4 GHz. I have no idea how that translates into $$$ ...

Last edited:
QuietIce said:
IDK what OC (if any) muddoctor is running on his E6600 but it's best output (2800) is almost double my 4400+ @ 2.5 GHz. I have no idea how that translates into $$$ ...

It just support my statement. 2 of those E6600 could match 4 of your OC 4400´s ...Don´t know now if they will be cheaper or more exspensive to build...

And actually his E6600 is running 3.3Ghz..:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/result.php?resultid=524361797
Look just under CPU time. It has some specs on the client - but also the CPU speed

QuietIce said:
There's your comparison - 1x E6600 @ 3.3 GHz ~ 2x 4400+ @ 2.4 GHz.

So the C2D solution is only better if it's cheaper, otherwise it's the same or worse ...

OK - I bow..But the OC´ed C2D will still be cheaper to run than the 2x4400+..

I just a matter of personal preference..

Sadly there will be a big dip in my production as I move rigs to my new apartment and wait for comcast to hook things up but in the meantime I'll squeeze some more horsepower out of my main rig, my conroe. Hopefully that will makeup for the missed time.

QuietIce said:

I did what you're describing back on Feb. 4th. I went to microcenter and got a e4300, DS3, gig of ram, psu, case and cheapo video card for ~$550 (used an old HD and optical.) Okay so it only does ~2625 RAC with the e4300 running at 3.25Ghz.... Just wanted to throw that out there.

Oh and i do plan to get to doing that processor performance chart pretty soon now. Every time i looked RAC was just going up and up ( it was a mistake doing the research so soon after those 2.2 apps came out), or alternatively berkeley was having database trouble. Hopefully I'll have something of value posted after the weekend.

Alexhk said:
I did what you're describing back on Feb. 4th. I went to microcenter and got a e4300, DS3, gig of ram, psu, case and cheapo video card for ~$550 (used an old HD and optical.) Okay so it only does ~2625 RAC with the e4300 running at 3.25Ghz.... Just wanted to throw that out there.
Ya, ONLY 2625 rac.

Being Intel stupid - is there some reason a 4300 wouldn't perform the same as a 6600 given the same speed? I know X2s and Opterons are virtually equal at the same OC ...

QuietIce said:
Being Intel stupid - is there some reason a 4300 wouldn't perform the same as a 6600 given the same speed? I know X2s and Opterons are virtually equal at the same OC ...

Short answer: Boinc client optimizations for the Intel use instruction commands which are not available to the AMD products. Additionally the C2D's just beat the snot out of everything AMD currently offers, event without the advantage of the optimized client.

QuietIce said:
The e6600 has 4mb L2 cache, whereas the e4300 only has 2mb. If it's anything like folding (especially the new smp WUs) there's a big benefit with the 4mb.

Back