• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Destroyed My P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aNTiChRisT

Heh, what a bummer. I was re-applying my CPU with AS5, decided to take the IHS off. That came off fine, Put it back in. Hmmm didnt fit as well... hmmm

"CPU IS UNWORKABLE"

:-o holy f...

Checked the pins, one is totally crushed.

So there you have it, IHS removal was fine -- JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN THE CPU IS OUT -- mebbe i'll post a piccy or summat. I got a new keyring tho! A 220 pound one!

Now this poor student has to get a new CPU, instead of that gig of ram.

So far it hasn't hit me. I'm just waiting for my dad to come back -- even tho its not his god knows what he'll do...

Wish me luck, paypal donations to [email protected]

~t0m

dude try and fix it!
a razor blade or small knife or a credit card anything.

post a pic so we can see if any ideas pop in our heads.
far as im conserned its fixable,unless the pin is broken off id still try and fix.

even possably rigging a stationary pin inside the socket might make the contact for you.

I've straighened the pins before aswell, i ran a knife down the length of the pins and wiggled it -- saved that chip.

However i used the word "crushed" deliberatley here -- its really not bent. After 15mins of trying to straighen it, it fell out along with another next to it. On closer looks, it is PROPER crushed, couldn't even straighten it with some pliers. Doh.

Got a 3.0 on order from Dabs now. Should be here friday (i hope)

I'll still post pics later -- if you have got any ideas, i will try adding them back in aswell.

Cheers,

~t0m AKA retard

some guy on this forum with a 2.4 m0 used a peice of thin metal and put it into the whole of the socket and then put the cpu ontop and it worked fine. I'd try that first before going out and buying a new cpu! Although it does depend on how well you current CPU overclocked :p.

broken pins are bad mmkayy ............

what mhz was it?

ive not tried fixing anything like this but id like to try as i can rig almost anything.
mabey useing a stiff wire drop it in the apropriate socket hole and when installed makes contact. id add some silver trace repair for better contact.its a tough one no doubt.

want to part with it so i can toy around with it a little?
selling in threads isnt permitted so pm me any thoughts or ideas.

Well it did rollox overclocking aswell, so i guess i don't mind -- its just the fact that the little money i do come across was planned to be spent on RAM - HDD - GPU rather than a CPU first... Damnit

Piccys in afew hours.

As for this 1ghz AMD atm, its @ 1.1 with the PCI/AGP unlocked. Lmao!

~t0m

I had a bent pin one time. I used a mechanical pencil to straighten it . I just took the lead out and slid the pin into the tip of the pencil and straightened it very slowly and carefully because they are easy to break off. Then I just looked down the rows until it was straight from both directions and dropped it in the socket. It's still running today.

Nevermind I just read where you said they fell out.

Originally posted by aNTiChRisT it is PROPER crushed, couldn't even straighten it with some pliers. Doh.

Got a 3.0 on order from Dabs now. Should be here friday (i hope)

Dabs huh? Better keep those pliers out.

ThePimpulator.

ThePimp : I'm not complaining, dabs have been very nice. Got the CPU 12 hours after ordering it :-o)

Betterlife : Hehe... hehehehee...

Replacement is here, i'm hopeing to get a better clock, and im moving on. :p Just guna be *alot* more careful this time.

Rather than "sticky" how about "stupid" :)

~t0m

New chip in, with arctic silver applied properly, running 3degrees c cooler. Its a 3.0 sl6wu phillipeans. In about a week i will start overclocking it (Enough time for the as5 to settle.

~t0m

LoL, thank you. Damn fanboi :p

I'm probably going to ship it out to some guy in the US -- he wants to try and fix it.

I'll get an apple when they start showing up higher in benchmarks :p

~t0m

Back