• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for good mobo for Vishera chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

Just have not been keeoing track on this side of things last few months as I toil away with my 3570 OC ing etc.

Now that I am a new GPU away from completion on this setup. I will turn my attention to my next AMD build and I think some Vishera action would be mighty fun. Im open to chips from both sides of the fence. Oddly most of my builds over time have been all AMD both CPU and GPU so my current build is outta character so to speak.

Anyway I am looking at the 8 core chips, does not matter 8320 or 8350 heck even the 6 core seems like a great buy at 139 bucks at New Egg.

So my question is and sorry for babbling what's the hot mobo in the community here for Vishera ? as most have seen im sure the Ivy bridge seems to have developed a big following behind the ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 over on the Intel side. Is there a similar board(s) the community for AMD has lined up behind ?

Just trying to save some leg work and gather opinions, would like to stay under 200, feature wise just need a good over clocker, good layout and support for either SLI or X-fire if I can only have 1 of those I would say X-fire as I will most likely stick with AMD GPU's for this build, may even x-fire some 7850 or 7870 cards for fun as I have always gone with 1 card setups. Other than that I do not need alot of goodies on the board. I do like a new and fresh Bios as opposed to the old drab ones :D where the mouse is usable etc etc. LOL

I prefer in no real order ASrock, Gigabyte, Asus, but I am willing to give any board maker a shot if it's a quality product :thup:

Sorry as I know there are many "what motherboard" threads but I don't like to jump in other folks threads with my questions so ty for understanding ;)

I haven't dipped my toes into this part of the pool. Did Bulldozer, but I've skipped Vishera so far.

That said, in my opinion, one of the advantages of AMD is cheaper mobos on average. Another advantage is the top end is cheaper than Intel top end... Top end features on Asus boards are just cool. Maybe not the most useful for a daily rig, but the ease of use in BIOS, quality of software control and whiz bang stuff like ROG connect has cool factor.

If you haven't gone top end before, it could be worth trying out, and you can do it cheaper on AMD than Intel.

That said, I personally focus on the power section when I'm looking at boards. I don't use anything except detailed bios settings, disable all the accessories, and run lots of volts so the most important part to me when looking at a board is if the power section is beefy and has sufficient quality heatsinks.

This isn't really an answer for you, but a bit of perspective at least in how I look at these decisions. :)

I would say that my list of approved AMD mobos In order would be

Asus Crosshair V formula/z
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 Gen 3(not yet released)
Asrock Fata1ity 990FX
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 and Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Gigabyte 990FX UD5 or UD7
Asus M5A99X Evo or M5A99FX pro
Gigabyte 970, 990X, 990FX UD3 these all use the same VRM
Asus M5A97 Evo or any MSI 990(X/FX)

If overclocking is your intention dont bother with an AMD board below this level. None of the 4+2 boards even those with heatsinks have the voltage regulation necessary or the bios features to support heavy overclocking on the AMD side of things.

Thanks I.M.O.G., some good thoughts there. Practical way to look at it.In fact it's something Im adding to my own way of going about this. Especially your perspective on the power section. Much appreciated :thup:

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like things have moved on some what of late. Regards AJ.

I have the sabertooth, the crosshair v formula and the asrock fatlady pro.
if your clocking for moonshots or high 24/7 clocks go for the crosshair.
4.0-4.5ghz 24/7 overclocking go with the sabertooth.
my asrock is out in mississippi getting a good, solid work out with an 8 core right now but, it's wonderful with a 6300 in it.
both asus boards i have pounded hard with an 8120 and they mush it right along very nicely.

Just out of experience with two boards with my 8350 I can just provide what I found. I had the 8350 on a Asus M5A99X Evo it ran great but I couldn't get it Prime stable above 4.5. It would just hard lock no matter what I did. I switched to a Asus Crosshair V Formula and have been able to get the 8350 prime stable 2 hours at 5.1 and benched it at 5.4. If you are shooting for high overclocks "moonshots" as Caddi said Crosshair V Formula would be my choice.

Just out of experience with two boards with my 8350 I can just provide what I found. I had the 8350 on a Asus M5A99X Evo it ran great but I couldn't get it Prime stable above 4.5. It would just hard lock no matter what I did. I switched to a Asus Crosshair V Formula and have been able to get the 8350 prime stable 2 hours at 5.1 and benched it at 5.4. If you are shooting for high overclocks "moonshots" as Caddi said Crosshair V Formula would be my choice.

Looks like a good cpu "Mandrake". Being able to run to 5.1Ghz stable is a bonus. That means you can hit the 4.4, 4.6 and 4.8Ghz sweet spots for everyday use when you really need to get some work done.

The more we deal with these power gobbling FX cpus, the more it becomes apparent that just a few boards can hold-up to the FX power demands when the cpu is pushed HARD. I guess if you think about it that is why there are different price points of motherboard. If you want to go fast for an extended period of time, then you pay more for the platform.

Then when you get a motherboard that can supply the energy (current/amps) to the cpu, you have to have super cooling to get rid of the heat.

There is one thing that is not often mentioned so I don't know if it has been even considered. The FX-8350 is default clocked to 4.0Ghz out of the box. So that means it is drawing nearly but not quite the power that an FX-8150 did when locked to 8 cores and overclocked to 4.0Ghz. That is a big draw in power from the get go with an FX-8350 cpu that was not seen until our normal methods of overclocking were used on an FX-8150 cpu.

I would hate to think I had to live with a better PiledDriver cpu and sub-par motherboard thru all the rest of this year and most of next, until AMD releases another desktop cpu. OR learn my lesson on motherboards and have to buy the second motherboard and attend to good cooling to really get the goodie out of an FX-8350 cpu. I guess the mobo companies like it done that way where we buy one board and then another. Money for them.
RGone...

Daag, if you read this post Rgone has done a bunch of testing on the ASrock Fatal1ty, looking at the specs on the Extreme 9 they have similar Power Phase designs, 12+2. Therefore, I would assume that the Extreme 9 would be as good as the Fatal1ty.

it looks like a revamped fatlady, dropped the second lan and added support for very fast ram.
newegg only has a placeholder for it so it's not on the market yet but, at $155 it's looking prettygood.

Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 mobo = that board does not have the same VRM circuitry as the Fatal1ty 990FX Professional. So if it only comes in $10 below the Fatal1ty, the Fatal1ty would be my choice and as such a no-brainer.

That Fataly1ty 990FX Pro is a stout board. If I had had the Fat 990FX Pro first, I mgiht not even have anything to say about a CHV. The Fat 990FX Pro is that impressive to me so far.
RGone...

Question on the CHV, how is the voltage circuitry compared to the Fat board?
The downside for me is the sata ports, the asrock only having 6 and the CHV has 8 which is what I need. Plus tge Fat is out of stock at newegg as well. Only available as open box item. Thanks

I have enough parts to put another pc together minus motherboard, is why I'm asking. Thanks again

Back