• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for good mobo for Vishera chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
duel stacked mosfets, anybody understand this?

link died....

Last edited:
That's what I'm trying to figure out.
The Fatality and Extreme9 both have 12+2 phase design but apparently the Extreme9 uses dual stacked Mosfets. Not sure on the Fatality.
I'm mobile right now and can't link the product page.

Stacking mosfets in order to decrease on-resistance and increase wattage as used in VRM circuits has been around for a good while. The high current drawing NetBurst P3's and some P4s by Intel had to have mobos with that sort of mosfet arrangement.
RGone...

Originally Posted by RGone View Post
Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 mobo = that board does not have the same VRM circuitry as the Fatal1ty 990FX Professional.
RGone...
Is this because of the dual stack mosfets? 6+1x2 vrm circutry?

When I posted just above I had not read this post of yours on the first page. All you really have to do is look at the pictures of the two motherboards by Asrock that are in question. What it it the Ext9 and the Fatal1ty? I am not up and the newer named mobo as to what it is being called.

Just from looking at the heatsink arrangement over the VRM area you can see that the two VRM circuits are not the same. The one of the Fatal1ty board is not like any I have ever seen on a production motherboard. However the part of the VRM circuit I 'can see' on the EXT9 is more like what I have seen for a few years.

Now that said it does no mean that the newer Ext9 is not good. It could be and no one will know until they try one.

I will say this though, designers 'can' use stacking of Mosfets to cut costs. They 'can' use cheaper Mosfets stacked to cut costs and even to spread heat better in some situations. What did Asrock do? No way to know. They are not going to tell you.

I will say that the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional is worth waiting on until it comes back in stock, IF you want a more sure thing.
RGone...

to me it sounds like spliting an output circut into two output circuts. taking a 6+1 and making it a 12+2 after the voltage has been cut to cpu voltage.
am i thinking right?

Back