• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A88V-evo Auto OC option in the BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

*cReed eRos*311

Registered
Hello Guys,

I got Asus M5A88V-evo and when i went to the BIOS under CPU overclocking, i got an option that says OC profile and when i hit it, it says, AUTO, OC 2%, OC 4%, OC 8% and OC 10%. is it safe to use this preset OC parameters instead of manually setting the FSB and Multiplier? Thanks!

It's safe but generally not as effective as using the individual bios parameters to manually overclock.

i see..by the way sir trents, i bought an aftermarket cooler now. from a high of 62C, my temp now runs somewhere between 40-42C UN-OCed. now, i tried to play around my BIOS and found that option, saw OC profile of 10% under AI TWEAKER, it says 10%OC so i'm under the impression that i will probably hit 3.6+GHz if +10%, now, do i have to change the voltage? i got stock Vcore @ 1.464 then undervolted it to 1.38v, ran prime95, so far no errors and warnings (hope it stays that way). question is, do i have to increase my current Vcore if i choose to add 10% OC?

do i have to increase my current Vcore if i choose to add 10% OC? = IF you use AUTO overclock it is supposed to have full control of voltages so it can set the Vcore that it feels is most likely needed to run at 10% overclock.

If you have manually set Vcore one of two things will happen. Well maybe only two things.
1. The motherboard may RE-take control of Vcore and up the Vcore to what it believes is necessary for 10% overclock.

2. The board may not be able to RE-take control of the Vcore and your manual setting of Vcore may be so low that the board may fail to boot and you have to clear the CMOS.

By design AUTO overclock means just that. You don't mess with the settings, the board does it according to a set pattern that works for 'most' boards and parts at 10% overclock.

What happens is likely motherboard dependent. We cannot own every motherboard, so can just say what are the two most likely things to happen if you persist in overclocking using AUTO Overclock.

so the best way is to set BIOS to DEFAULT and use OC10%? this option is what they call "safe zone" for OC, this is stable enough w/o changing any settings? my target CPU is around 3.6+GHz with RAM of 1400+MHz.

If you commit to manual bios overclocking instead of Auto settings you can generally expect a 25-30% CPU speed increase instead of a 10% if you have good aftermarket cooling. Auto settings just don't manipulate enough settings at one time to get both a high and a stable overclock.

Last edited:
so the best way is to set BIOS to DEFAULT and use OC10%? this option is what they call "safe zone" for OC, this is stable enough w/o changing any settings? my target CPU is around 3.6+GHz with RAM of 1400+MHz.

In 'general', note the in general, when using any AUTO Overclock from bios the board raised the FSB and raised the Vcore by some amount. I have not heard of any AUTO Overclock that can raise the multiplier of an AMD cpu. Nada. Such is why most of us 'never' use mobo AUTO Overclock.

Now what does 10% OC mean? Who can really know for each motherboard? Those of us that try and help cannot own every board and many boards are nEvEr even seen in most forums.

For instance say, your cpu is running 3000Mhz stock and you choose AUTO 10%, most likely the FSB will jump to 220 and this means the ram speed jumps up by 20 more times the memory multiplier and so to do all the other busses jump upwards. The AUTO O/CLK will also raise Vcore by a set amount and often raises ram voltage a little. That is AUTO O/CLK by 10%.

Read up on the FSB overclocking section. There is nothing at all to overclocking but raising cpu speed and adding voltage to keep it stable and doing so without exceeding recommended temperatures.

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II
Thuban Section includes how to overlock B.E. Thubans.

It is hard for me to read an overclocking guide and 'tell' if it is really newbie oriented since I have been doing the overclocking scene for years now. The link below is to another overclocking guide that is written in a slightly less technical manner and may be what you need.

A Beginner's/Intermediate's Guide to Tight Budget Overclocking:

Last edited:
Thank you so much sir RGone! Very much appreciated. I'll keep you posted regarding this, hope it won't melt my CPU. I got Hyper 212 evo, hope it can handle the temp as i try to OC this CPU. You Rock man:attn::salute:

A little at a time and run P95 blend mode at each step for at least 20 mins to see how high the temps go and get a 'feel' for whether there is any measure of stability.

I think all of the guides or at least the second one I linked make it clear that you will need to lower the memory speed as the FSB rises so that the ram speed which is rising with cpu...does not get too high and the ram fails from running too too fast.

The FSB is often called the "CPU Frequency" in bios. Poor choice for terminology in my opinion as whether you speed it up by using the multiplier or the FSB the frequency gets bigger. Just something for OP to be aware of. The technical term for the FSB in current AMD architecture is Hyper Transport or HT frequency but you won't see it called that in many bioses.

Got a new old video card (see Sig) and was doing some 3DMark03 benching so I wanted more per core clock speed since back in '03 the benching software wouldn't have been very thoroughly mutli-threaded. Then I also updated the bios and have not had time to restore the x5 and x6 oveclock profiles. That's all.

I see. I was worried that you had another bad core or, even worse, your CPU was starting to degrade. I remembered back a month or so ago that you had to drop the core clock back some because you weren't stable anymore. Glad to hear that wasn't the case this time.

you're dead right trents...it's is called HT in my BIOS. Sorry for the late response, was sick for the rest of the weekend so i wasn't able to reply. I am trying to comprehend the steps as much as i could since this is the first time i will be OCing my system. The first step is to adjust the HT to 210MHz w/o changing the CPU Voltage and RAM timing?

Not just a single fish for a meal but Fishing Lessons by "trents" for a lifetime of meals.

With these CPUs you would need to be concerned with these things when overclocking:

The first thing would be to download the overclocking software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor.

To check those stock condition temps: Open HWMonitor on your desktop and adjust the slider and frame so you can see the core temps section and the voltage section. Leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. When that is done, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface with your next post. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest is obvious.

Next you need to be able to:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6. Some options may not be available depending on CPU.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

If you have a CPU with an upward unlocked multiplier so now just start increasing your CPU multiplier by .5x.

After each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability.

Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core temps. Max stable core temp is typically 55-58c, somewhere in there.

When you first fail the 20 minute Prime blend test, increase your CPU core voltage by .025 and retest. If you still fail, add another .025 vcore. Then retest, repeating the pattern outlined. Stop adding vcore when your reach 1.5 or core temps exceed the parameters mentioned above.

Failing the Prime test can mean blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the Prime core workers dropping out. Post back after you have added two increments of vcore or hit the mid 50's core temp wall. When you post, attach pics of HWMonitor from your last Prime95 blend run and give us a report.

I would add only one thing to RGone's list of things in bios to be concerned about and that is the HT Link Frequency (not to be confused with the HT frequency, aka "CPU frequency" and "FSB").

Here's the main thing to keep in mind when overclocking a non-black edtion (i.e., no "unlocked" CPU multiplier): Because the you must use the HT Reference to speed up the CPU, there are other bios parameters that need to be adjusted downward because they speed up along with the HT Reference and will become the cause of system instability. The HT Reference (aka, CPU frequency, FSB) is the master system bus. All the other frequencies involving the processor and the memory (aka, "RAM" or "DRAM") are tuned to it. This includes the memory frequency, the HT Link Frequency and the CPUNB (or just "NB") frequency. Therefore you must consciously adjust them independltly to keep them stable as they cannot necessarily keep up with the CPU overclock.

Hope you don't mind of I refer to you a just "311". Your user name is a long one to have to type repeatedly.

As RGone already said, the place to start is to check for temps and stability with your system at stock frequencies and voltages. No sense in trying to achieve a stable overclock if it ain't stable to begin with or if your temps are already too high. Overclocking drives up temps. So download and install CPU-z (reports lots of info about your system and system settings), Prime95 (our standard stress tester) and HWMonitor (our standard temp and voltage monitor).

Next, open up HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Then post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. To attach a pic of a desktop image with the built in forum tool: Crop the image and save it to disk using the Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advance Button found at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will cause the file browser/uploader tool to pop up and the rest is obvious.

Last edited:
@RGone: well said sir..very informative post

The first thing would be to download the overclocking software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. - i have these already

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor. - at stock cooler, i got 58-62C while prime95 was running that time with CPU Voltage of 1.475v and Vcore: 1.464v. Then i replaced my stock cooler with Hyper 212 evo and ran prime95, got 42-44C after almost 2 hours of running it. Tried bumping the CPU voltage a little and manage to have it stable at 1.38125v as CPU Voltage and 1.362v as Vcore.

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6. Some options may not be available depending on CPU. - when i undervolted the CPU Voltage and Vcore, CnQ was automatically disabled, C1E - i think i can disable this but not sure where to find TURBO and C6. i posted a link for my manual regarding my mobo and haven't noticed these 2 options

2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance. - i got this buddy

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage - is this the same as Vcore or this is CPU Voltage because they have a different value in my BIOS
2. CPU multiplier - i got this disbaled since i don't have BE CPU
3. CPUNB voltage - this is under AI TWEAKER, i have 2 options for this, OFFSET and MANUAL, this is where i manually offset/undervolted my CPU Voltage to 1.38125v from a high (default) of 1.475v

I would add only one thing to RGone's list of things in bios to be concerned about and that is the HT Link Frequency (not to be confused with the HT frequency, aka "CPU frequency" and "FSB"). - yeah...thanks! i was under the impression that HT Link Freq is the same as HT Freq because they both have the same value to choose in MHz. thanks for clarifying this sir trents

Back