• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A88V-evo Auto OC option in the BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sir trents? nope i won't mind being called "311" (since they're one of my favorite band) lol:clap:

i won't be able to do that right now, i mean posting the result/screenshot because i'm at work

what i have as of the moment:

UN-OCed:

core temps: 42-44C with prime95 running @ Vcore: 1.362v using hyper 212 evo (is this is a good temp?)

based on HWmonitor

+12v: 11.68 - 11.83
+5v: 5.06 - 5.10
+3.3v: 3.28 - 3.31

311, the CPU voltage and the CPU vcore are the same thing. The reason the CPU vcore reading in HWMonitor is less than the CPU voltage that you set in bios is because there is a fall off under load, just like voltage drops during transport of electricity along high tension lines between the power generation station and the point of consumption in the nation's electrical grid. "vcore" is our shorthand for CPU voltage.

Please attach those pics as requested. Being able to attach pics is one of the major tools we use in helping each other on this forum.

I would use "manual" instead of "offset" in your voltage manipulation. It's less confusing in my opinion. Just be aware that what the widows software reports will not be the same as what you set it to in bios. Really, what counts is the net voltage amount as reported in HWMonitor. We don't want that vcore number to exceed 1.55 under load or 1.50 at idle. You lost me there in #3 about the CPUNB. It sounds like you were confusing the CPU voltage with the CPUNB voltage. They are not the same but may be in the same section of bios.

Do you have something called LLC or Load Line Calibration in your bios? It is a voltage supplement feature that adds a little voltage at idle but more under load to help keep the system stable under stress.

Concerning your temps, as you can see the installation of the aftermarket cooler helped big time and now you have some room for overclocking. We aim at limiting core temps to around 55c (where typically, instability starts to set in) and CPU (socket) temps to around 65c.

Concerning the CPUNB, it is a component of the ICM (Integrated Memory Controller). Manipulating it during the overclocking process can help both with stability and with memory performance.

Do you have something called LLC or Load Line Calibration in your bios? - which of these 2 should i disable sir trents?

Attachments

• LLC.JPG
    LLC.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 103
In order to be able to see the CPU Frequency/HT Reference/FSB or whatever they will call it, you must take the "CPU Overclocking" off of Auto and choose Manual. "Auto" in bios sometimes hides things.

Take the CPU Load Line Calibration off of Auto and set it to Enable. If you have other choices besides Enable, let me know. Some bioses give you more than on/off control of the CPU Load Line Calibration. On the other hand, Disable CPUNB Load Line Calibration. Once you have enabled the CPU LLC, run Prime95 again with HWMonitor open on the desktop and look at the impact on vcore that the change made.

this is the one that i should be changing instead of going for the multiplier sir? HT Reference Clock? not the one that says HT Link Speed

Attachments

• HT Reference Clock.JPG
    HT Reference Clock.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 104
sorry for the late response trents...just got off from an urgent meeting so when i posted the new image, i just saw your response after.

In order to be able to see the CPU Frequency/HT Reference/FSB or whatever they will call it, you must take the "CPU Overclocking" off of Auto and choose Manual. "Auto" in bios sometimes hides things. - got this (posted image above)

Take the CPU Load Line Calibration off of Auto and set it to Enable. If you have other choices besides Enable, let me know - i have 3 options, Disable, Enabled and Auto

On the other hand, Disable CPUNB Load Line Calibration - by default it's Auto but sure i will Disable this option

-posted below is the Advanced Tab and the Power Tab where I can configure the Vcore...

Attachments

• Advanced Tab.JPG
    Advanced Tab.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Power Tab.JPG
    Power Tab.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 112
Disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and choose High Performance. That should disable all the "green" stuff that jacks with frequencies and voltages and interferes with overclocking.

Now, after you put "CPU Overclocking" to manual, show me a pic of that section of the bios again and I'll point the FSB adjustment.

thank you so much sir, appreciate it! hopefully i can learn all those stuff under your tutelage. Just got in the office and i will look for that image that you requested.

Now, after you put "CPU Overclocking" to manual, show me a pic of that section of the bios again and I'll point the FSB adjustment - sir trents, the online time i'll have internet connection is if i'm at work because we don't have it at home. are we adjusting JUST the FSB or there are other stuff also? FSB is the same as HT Reference Clock in my BIOS right as posted above

Now, after you put "CPU Overclocking" to manual, show me a pic of that section of the bios again and I'll point the FSB adjustment - sir trents, the online time i'll have internet connection is if i'm at work because we don't have it at home. are we adjusting JUST the FSB or there are other stuff also?

Other stuff too. What we listed in the early posts. The FSB (HT Ref. Clock) is the main "speeder upper" but some of the other frequencies have to be adjusted downward and the other main thing is increasing the CPU voltage as necessary to support the faster CPU speed. HT Ref. and CPU voltage are the two biggies but other things need attention in the process.

FSB is the same as HT Reference Clock in my BIOS right as posted above

Yes, HT Reference Clock = FSB/Cpu Reference Frequency etc.

1. Set Cpu Vcore manually to 1.375 Volts

2. Drop memory frequency down from DDR 1333 to the next lower. To ALLOW for memory frequency to rise when you raise the HT Ref Clk.

3. Set ram voltage up by 0.05 for stability sake.

4. Set HT Ref Frequency to 205 or 210 and test with P95 in blend mode for 20 mins with HWMonitor open on desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages. If P95 blend mode does not faii in some manner and temps are not over 55c on the cpu cores and the Cpu Temp does not exceed 65c then go from 205/210 to the next HT Ref Freq up by 5 and test again with P95 blend and again HWMonitor open on desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages.

5. If P95 fails you most likely will have to add 0.025 volts to the cpu and test again. If you start overclock test at 1.375V and it runs FSB add of 205, then 210, then 215...there is a possibility that at 215 or 220FSB you will need to add some VCore. How much is NOT known. Add some and test again with P95 in blend mode with HWMonitor doing the logging.

6. You can capture the pictures at home and put on Usb stick and take to work to post for us to see. We will need to see the 3 captures of CPUz at some point along about 220 FSB times your max cpu multiplier.

7. That is it. That is all there is to overclocking that cpu. Raise Speed with FSB while keeping ram within its' rated speed. Add Cpu voltage when next level overclock fails. Keep voltage and speed to a level where 55c core temp and 65c Cpu temps are not exceeded. You may at some point depending no how high you are able to raise FSB, you may have to lower the CPU/NB multiplier if in your bios as well as the HT speed multiplier. But likely NOT until you reach about 245FSB. Just a slow steady speed upward with 'constant' monitoring along the upward path of temps for within range. It is not nearly rocket science. Just gentle moves upward in speed. Luck man.

first of all...Kudos to our 2 OC Gurus here: :clap::salute: you guys are truly GREAT! thanks for helping me around. i'll take a picture of my BIOS and see if i can upload it via flash drive.

here are the steps i need to do once i get home later:

DISABLE: CnQ, C1E and CPU/NB LLC
ENABLE: CPU LLC

1. Set Cpu Vcore manually to 1.375 Volts - My CPU Offset Voltage is currently @ 1.38125v and my Vcore is 1.362 (this is also what's showing in CPU-Z). do i have to increase my CPU offset voltage to 1.40v with Vcore set automatically by the BIOS to 1.39v or this is good basing it to 1.375v that you recommended?

2. Drop memory frequency down from DDR 1333 to the next lower. To ALLOW for memory frequency to rise when you raise the HT Ref Clk - this is done under DRAM frequency right sir? by default, basing on the image above, it is set to AUTO, so i should go for 1200?

Use voltage as is in your post above.

Yes set back to DDR1200 if that is the next lower memory speed. Truth is most DDR1333 ram will overclock a little. So if it were me, I would start with ram at DDR1333, BUT if it did not boot, "I" would know what to do since I know to try some of this and some of that since it is all a balancing act anyway. I suggested lowering ram speed since we are not there to see it not boot perhaps and know to clear CMOS and try something else.

thanks sir RGone:salute:

just a quick ran down of the steps once i leave the office: let me know if i'm missing something here. am up till 12midnight EST so feel free to reply for any suggestions. thanks again to the 2 OC Gurus on this forum:attn:

just a quick question sir, if i fail the test, what's the worst thing that will happen to my system? is it imperative for me to reseat CMOS everytime it fails?

Here we go:

DISABLE: CnQ, C1E and CPU/NB LLC
ENABLE: CPU LLC

1. Set Cpu Vcore manually to 1.375 Volts
-my current values: CPU offset voltage: 1.138125
Vcore: 1.362
-so this is good

2. Drop memory frequency down from DDR 1333 to the next lower. To ALLOW for memory frequency to rise when you raise the HT Ref Clk.
-as advised by RGone: from AUTO (1333), i'll drop this to either 1200 or 1066 depending on the next lower value

3. Set ram voltage up by 0.05 for stability sake.
-what's detected by the BIOS by default is 1.64v (from what i'm aware of but i'll double check this and raise it to 1.69? i believe my allowable voltage for my RAM is 1.65v per specs. is this ok sir RGone?

4. Set HT Ref Frequency to 205 or 210 and test with P95 in blend mode for 20 mins with HWMonitor open on desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages. If P95 blend mode does not faii in some manner and temps are not over 55c on the cpu cores and the Cpu Temp does not exceed 65c then go from 205/210 to the next HT Ref Freq up by 5 and test again with P95 blend and again HWMonitor open on desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages.
test1:
- HT Ref Clock = 205
- Vcore: 1.362v
- RAM voltage: 1.69???
- DRAM freq: 1200MHz

= ran prime95

test2:
- HT Ref Clock = 210

= ran prime95

test3:
- HT Ref Clock = 215

= ran prime95

test4:
- HT Ref Clock = 220
- Vcore: 1.362v + .025 = 1.387v

= ran prime95

you may have to lower the CPU/NB multiplier if in your bios as well as the HT speed multiplier. But likely NOT until you reach about 245FSB - i'll be wary of this one once these tests passed right?

-am i missing something here? just confused about the RAM voltage:confused:

You have DDR3 ram at DDR1333 but the recommended voltage is 1.65V?

I would not add any voltage to that ram for stability if the bios shows it to be at 1.65V.

Everything else seems about right.

We do not know exactly where P95 Blend testing nor exactly how. It could BSOD, it could have a worker fail. Or in some instances the P95 failure could be a complete reboot of the computer. No way to know at which of the FSB's will bring on a failure of P95 for sure but listed what are experiential guesstimations. Good luck.

Back