• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A88V-evo Auto OC option in the BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
311, are you using the stock cooler that came with the CPU? I'm asking because I see your CPU temp is 45c in bios, meaning at idle without any load on and at stock frequencies and voltages. That is too high! We normally don't pay much attention to idle temps unless they are unusually high. Also, how hot is the room temp where the computer is? You live in Texas and it's probably boiling this time of year unless you use AC.

So here's what I need you to do. With everything at the frequencies and voltages you show in the recent bios pics, run Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open on the desktop. Then let me know what the minimum and maximum CPU vcore and the maximum and minimum CPU voltage is (it may show as one of the generic TMPINx lines so give me the numbers from all of those lines) and most importantly, the max and min core temps after that Prime85 run.

Otherwise, I see no bios settings that would suggest you can't run the HT Ref at 8 mhz over stock. So, I'm thinking it's a temp related problem.

Last edited:
Also, could you add info about the make and model of your case to your Sig?

i am using CM Hyper 212 evo trents...

run Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open on the desktop. Then let me know what the minimum and maximum CPU vcore and the maximum and minimum CPU voltage is (it may show as one of the generic TMPINx lines so give me the numbers from all of those lines) and most importantly, the max and min core temps after that Prime85 run - i just ran it yesterday with stock settings in the BIOS.

Core Temp (idLe)

core 0: 24-26C
core 1: 24-26C
core 2: 24-26C

HW monitor:

core 0: 24-26C
core 1: 24-26C
core 2: 24-26C

Core Temp (prime95 for 21 minutes)

core 0: 42-46C
core 1: 42-46C
core 2: 42-46C

**same temp as HWmonitor running

trents, i got pics of CPUz, HW monitor and prime95, it's just that i wasn't able to upload it. those are my temps from i can recall from the test that i ran.

with STOCK COOLER:

i believe my temp is around 58-62C at full load (using prime95)
at idle: 26-28C

Last edited:
i am using a generic casing with the side panel opened to give space to my 212 evo, i'll have a pic of my system then.

by the way, via HWmonitor...i believe my MB temp is around 35-37C at full load

So please add the info in your Sig about your case and the CPU cooler. I was thinking you said in an earlier post you had a hyper 212+ evo but then I didn't see it in your Sig. I help a lot of folks on the forum and sometimes I get one confused with the other.

When are your days off from work? This is maddening when you aren't where the computer is and we're trying to work on these things.

sorry i just got off from lunch...i've updated my signature and added some information that might help. i'll get all the screenshots that you need. again, thank you so much for all your help. i believe there is around 8-10C discrepancy with my Core Temp to CPU Temp. I'm off during weekends sir trents...

i got the wifi dongle...i'm off to work in a few hours and will upload the pics later together. sir trents? is my CPU Temp really that high? i got the screenshot saved on my pc with prime95 running so i hope that will help.

i got the wifi dongle...i'm off to work in a few hours and will upload the pics later together. sir trents? is my CPU Temp really that high? i got the screenshot saved on my pc with prime95 running so i hope that will help.

Remember, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel and set the Power Options in Control Panel to High Performance.

Remember, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel and set the Power Options in Control Panel to High Performance -should this be done before changing the settings in the BIOS for OC purposes? i should also disable CPU/NB LLC and enable CPU LLC

Remember, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel and set the Power Options in Control Panel to High Performance -should this be done before changing the settings in the BIOS for OC purposes?

No

i should also disable CPU/NB LLC and enable CPU LLC

Yes

Okay, then. I have an idea. Since you already have so much CPU vcore at stock, maybe enabling CPU LLC is overvolting the CPU. Try disabling it instead and see if you can now boot with 205 mhz HTR.

311, I also want you to downclock the ram to 1066 on 1.55 volts. Do that before you increase the HT Ref as if you do it after that the ram speed options may change due to the fact that the ram speed dividers are based on a 200 mhz HT Ref. I don't want you to get confused by looking for 1066 and not finding it. The ICM of that CPU may not like the ram run at 1.65. It may be over-driving it.

Last edited:
okay sir...got it! DRAM Frequency will be dropped to 1067MHz based on my BIOS and undervolt it to 1.55v from 1.64v then that's the time i will change the HT Ref Clock

first:

disable: CnQ, C1E, CPU/NB LLC and CPU LLC
change Power Options to "High Performance"

- HT Ref Clock = 205
- Vcore: 1.464v
- RAM voltage: 1.55v
- DRAM freq: 1067MHz
- HT Link Speed: 1800MHz

am i missing something here?

Is there a new, wider case in your budget future? Taking the side panel off gives clearance to the cooler and can help with temps when a case has not enough fans and poor ventilation but can cause your motherboard components to overheat because no air is being drawn through the case. In the meantime, that can be helped by setting a household fan to blow gently into the open side of the case.

Back