• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A88V-evo Auto OC option in the BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i see your point trents however, i'm under the impression that this cpu couldn't be OCed (locked for OCing for some reason)..basing it on the message. As you mentioned, some CPUs are OCed already in the factory,may be that's the reason the BIOS indicated that already onset of the OC process for CPU

Last edited:
All CPUs can be overclocked if the motherboard bios gives tools to do so. Now, some CPUs have "locked" multipliers which means they cannot be overclocked using the multiplier (and that could be what that error messages was referring to if you tried to do that) but they can be overclocked using the HT Ref. Do you understand the distinction between overclocking with the multiplier and overclocking with the HT Ref?

By the way, a "locked" CPU cannot be overclocked with the mutlplier but it can be underclocked with it, that is the multiplier cannot be increased but it can be decreased. That can come in handy when trying to get the memory speed up to a certain level with HT Ref increases when the CPU has already maxed out.

yeah! we're in unison when it comes to that. you can only OC the CPU using "multiplier" if it's a BE CPU correct and if not? use FSB instead. I didn't try to do it again since what i had in mind that time is to consult you first. you saying here that the reason it didin't post is because of the wrong values? will it do harm to my mobo if it continues to have that NO POST issues when trying to OC?

Lock the unlocked core back. Disable/Turn-off ACC or whatever the core unlocker is called. Reboot and try the basic overclock we have talked about. Report results when possible.

Lock the unlocked core back - you mean stay with the TRIcore RGone?

i have no idea what went wrong but hopefully that NO POST issues that i encountered won't be harmful to my system. should i encounter the same issue if i had the defaults Vcore @ 1.475v? since we are concern about the voltage here. i can really recall if i tried the 1.38v or the defaults since i was afraid to redo it because it didn't POST with the FSB of 205 only.

No, nothing you have experienced will hurt your system. If the default vcore is 1.475, try that. It's not so high it will hurt anything. Just make sure you monitor temps and max voltages with HWMonitor when you run Prime95. Yes, put the CPU back to a tricore. I reckon now that the error message you mentioned was about that.

Don't be faint of heart. We wouldn't tell you to do something if we thought it would likely hurt your machine.

it is actually not an error message trents. it's greyed out even w/o OCing it. could it be because AMD has released a Higher Clocked CPU so we cannot OC it anymore? when i tried OCing the system, i am 80% sure that i used the default value of my CPU offset voltage and got a NO POST issue. do you think it's LOGICAL to try the Overclocking Profile of Asus like OC2% and check if there's really an issue with the values i input? or may be try the OC Tuner Utility in the BIOS?

Last edited:
I think some setting is way wrong, not that the CPU can't be overclocked. We are really handicapped in this process by not being able to see pictures of the software helpers we had you download.

Last night you said you would look for a dongle. Did you mean a WiFi dongle to be able to connect the computer you are using to the internet at home? Or were you referring to a USB memory stick to be able to transport picture file to work? Where are you now? At home where the computer you are trying to overclock is or at work? What we really need are pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD with your current settings.

sir trents? you want me to get a screenshot of the CPUZ, HWmonitor and core temp when it is UN-OCed right? also, i can have a video of my BIOS an upload it using my Wifi Dongle at home, that will include the default values and putting all the "correct" values for OC as advised but the problem is, how can i get a screenshot of the software if the system is not posting afterwards? may be just the BIOS settings that i input, that's the best way for you to see those values

i am at work now and will be leaving at 12midnight EST then will have the dongle connected later so i can upload the default values of my BIOS thru video. sorry if i'm a noob but i'm eager to learn these stuff. i'm really new to computer hardware especially OCing customer built system

-i will be at home around 2am EST so not sure if there will be someone here who can respond but i will upload it so you'll have a better picture of my BIOS. here at work, USB ports are blocked and cannot use flash drive to upload/transfer files.

I would like pictures of the three CPU-z tabs (CPU, Memory and SPD) at HT Ref of 200 mhz and then of the bios when you try to increase the HT Ref to 205, before you reboot it. Pics of the CPU frequency and voltage and memory speed and voltage sections of bios would be appreciated.

Yeah, I will be in bed by the time you get home but I'll try to check this thread tomorrow morning.

thanks sir! i'll try to do it later. i'll keep you posted and very much appreciate all your help! i think picture will be easier to upload since i got a wifi dongle..

trents...sorry..i just got in the office..here are the pics of my BIOS...software pics will be uploaded later..so you'll have an idea how my BIOS looks like...thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00702.JPG
    DSC00702.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00703.JPG
    DSC00703.JPG
    443.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00704.JPG
    DSC00704.JPG
    540 KB · Views: 62
i wasn't able to upload CPUZ but i've written down some of the info regarding...will try to upload it ASAP

General

Type: DDR3
Size: 8192 MB
channels #s: Dual
DC mode: Unganged
NB Frequency: 2009.0 MHz

Timings

DRAM frequency: 669.7 MHz
FSB:DRAM - 3:10
CL: 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24
tRC: 33
CR: 1T

SPD

slot 1: DDR3

max bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
manufacturer: Kingston
Part #: KHX1600c9d3/4GX
serial #: 4d1ad943

slot 3: DDR3

max bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
manufacturer: Kingston
Part #: KHX1600c9d3/4GX
serial #: 4b1aaf43

this is what i was saying sir trents..it's not an error message but greyed out under AI tweaker tab in the BIOS

Attachments

• CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 53
Back