• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5a97 + 960T Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A lot of questions come to mind. Did you unlock it to 6 cores or are you at 4 cores? Did you up the vcore any? Download and install CPU-z and HWmonitor and post screen shots with the CPU,memory and SPD tabs posted for CPU-z. Then someone will be able to help out more.

Back to stock settings except ram.... 2x corsair 4gb ddr3 1600, 2x gskill 4gb ddr3 1600 waiting for second set of corsair memory (will have 4x4gb corsair vengeance low profile ddr1600)

Attachments

• Stocksettings.png
    Stocksettings.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
A lot of questions come to mind. Did you unlock it to 6 cores or are you at 4 cores? Yes
Did you up the vcore any? Yes, I have mine set to 1.4

Other settings -
HTT is set to 2200

CPU-NB is set to 2600 with a very slight voltage bump.

If you decide to unlock, make sure you run prime95 blend for about an hour without anything unlocked and watch the CPU socket temp and core temps with HWmon. There should be a difference (for me, it was about 8 degrees Celsius). This is important, because you will lose your ability to read core temp if you unlock, so you need to calculate the core temps based off of the CPU socket temp.

EDIT: It has just occurred to me that I replied to you thinking you were the OP. Oops, fail on reading comprehension for the day. Oh well, leaving it as it is for the OP's sake.

Last edited:
Ripsaw, in a PM you asked for my settings to get the 960T to 4.1. Apart from the info I have supplied in the attached pics, here are the rest of the pertinent bios settings:

CPU voltage: 1.49375

DRAM voltage: 1.525

CPUNB volttage: 1.225 1.23125

CPU LLC: Normal Auto

CPUNB LLC: disabled

Cool N Quiet, Turbo, and C1E are all disabled. Power Options in Windows Control Panel is set to High Performance

Again, you may not get the same results. I would also advise you to take out 8 gb of ram unless you do stuff like a lot of Photo Shop, CAD, or Audio/video rendering and editing. Most stuff won't benefit from that much ram and it strains the IMC.

Edit: Note the corrections after I actually looked in my bios.

Attachments

• CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 310
  • Memory.JPG
    Memory.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
New settings...couldnt reach 4.1ghz without bsod on startup with these settings...should i run prime 95?

Attachments

• OCAttemptsettings.jpg
    OCAttemptsettings.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 339
Let's see the CPU-z SPD tab.

Did you take out 8 gigs of ram like you said?

took out the g-skill ripjaws....hmmm just crashed after 15 mins of prime95 blend
temps were ok .... 35-38 core 45-47cpu...should i up the cpu voltage a hair and try again?

Attachments

• spd001.jpg
    spd001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Well, I just discovered that my system is no longer stable with the 960T at 4.1. Core 3 started dropping out. Degradation over time? Anyway, I lowered it to 4.0 and upped the vcore to 1.5. I'll do some Prime95 longer testing tomorrow but it is at least stable for running Prime for a short test.

Well, I just discovered that my system is no longer stable with the 960T at 4.1. Core 3 started dropping out. Degradation over time? Anyway, I lowered it to 4.0 and upped the vcore to 1.5. I'll do some Prime95 longer testing tomorrow but it is at least stable for running Prime for a short test.

well i got 18 mins out of prime before crash...going to up vcore to 1.5 and try again..i dont think ive ever got this far before, my last board was a cheapo msi with an athlon x3 440- htpc now

got to 35 mins then locked up (froze) on prime with vcore at 1.5v . Temps: Max CPU 48 Max Core 37. where can i go from here?

Attachments

• overclock002.jpg
    overclock002.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 331
What is your CPUNB set to? Did you bump the ram voltage up a tad from stock?

Morning "trents", it is early out there on the left bank. Have a happy holiday.

Have you gotten "ripsaw" to try a lower memory frequency? He is now failing P95 @4.0Ghz, with 1.5 Vcore.

Morning "trents", it is early out there on the left bank. Have a happy holiday.

Have you gotten "ripsaw" to try a lower memory frequency? He is now failing P95 @4.0Ghz, with 1.5 Vcore.

It crossed my mind but Thuban core CPUs will generally handle the ram at 1600 mhz. Of course, he's at the high end of overclock for that CPU which might have a bearing on that issue.

Ripsaw, I'd play with the CPUNB voltage a little. Try lowering it to 1.225 and then try raising it to 1.25 and see if that doesn't help. My 960T is very sensitive to CPUNB voltage.

The one thing I don't like about the motherboard he and I are using is that in bios the CPU LLC choices are limited to Enabled, Disabled and Auot (which seems to be the same as Enabled). I'm a little uncomfortable with running vcore at 1.5 24/7 but it needs that to be stable at 4.0 ghz or more.

cpu-nb is at 1.23125
cpu voltage 1.5
ram voltage 1.5
should i change ram timings?
you guys are saying adjust cpu/nb a lil first?
it ran all night with a torrent going, and it went thru 4 cycles of 3dmark 06 before i went to bed

when i changed the cpu core to 1.5, i also changed the dram back to 1.5 from 1.525....otherwise following your original settings....i dont know much...don't want to blow up my computer, just get it stable at 4.0ghz
if i can get it stable i was going to get a corsair h100 and put it in push/pull....mostly for looks cuz i dont like the big heatsink (a50) in my case ;)

guess ill try lowering cpu/nb like u said first...brb hopefully ;)

EDIT: cpu/nb at 1.225 goin for prime now
EDIT: Crash before 5mins cpu/nb now at 1.2375 going to try again.
EDIT: Crash after 15 mins cpu/nb at 1.2375 going to up one more notch and try again ;)
EDIT: Programs crashing going to set it back to 1.23125 was most stable there....im lost...help! lol

Last edited:
Okay, I was wrong about one thing in the above post: "Auto" is not the same as "Enabled" for the CPU LLC. It is the same as "Disabled". I'm running some tests now and finding that "Enabled" adds .06 - .07 volts to the CPU core under load and so I expect I'll be able to get away with considerably less baseline voltage for 24/7. Like you, I want to get it stable at 4.0. Stay tuned.

I still wish there were more choices for the LLC.

In reference to RGone's suggestion in post #14, however, I did not find it helped with stability at 4.1 ghz to lower the ram speed from 1600 to 1333. Core 3 still dropped out quickly.

crashed again after 20 mins with cpu/nb at 1.23125
i also upped dram voltage to 1.5125...will try enabling cpu llc and see what happens....

EDIT: Turned on... vcore is now at 1.52v....good or bad??? should i run prime?

Attachments

• overclock003.jpg
    overclock003.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Okay, notice that I've taken a completely different approack, that is lowering my multiplier and raising the fsb so that I'm overclocking with some of both. I kept reading here and there that people found that they got by with less core voltage when they used the fsb in part to overclock. I never took it seriously but decided to try it. The pics show my results so far. This passes a 20+ minute Prime95 blend run. I'm still lowering the vcore so this isn't settled yet and I will need to do a long blend stress test to arrive at final vcore but it does seem to be making a difference. In bios I'm at 1.4125 and at idle the LLC brings it o about 1.43 in Windows and to about 1.49 under load.

Attachments

• Tweker1.JPG
    Tweker1.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Tweaker2.JPG
    Tweaker2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 297
Back