• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5a97 + 960T Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Keep in mind that is his socket temp. The core temp is about 9 or more degrees cooler. Does your mobo let you select which cores to enable?

I think I will test mine for stability as a hex, as I havnt ran it for longer than maybe 2hrs since I got it ! I know it clocks good but as for prime stable at those clocks I'm not so sure, although I did notice that for some reason it stopped booting into win7 as a hex, gave a bsod page file fault:shrug: but would boot into xp & vista no problem and would previously boot into win7 fine, I'm not too bothered as its a benching chip really and hardly gets used in win7,maybe a fresh install will remedy that problem. I will update this thread and see if I can make the 4gig stable crew :)

Keep in mind that is his socket temp. The core temp is about 9 or more degrees cooler. Does your mobo let you select which cores to enable?

As a quad core, the CPU temp is actually 21c higher than the core temp. I don't know that I trust that core temp sensor, though.

I tried to get 4.0 as a hex core but I didn't like the voltages it seemed to need. I'm planning on trying it as a pentacore and see if I can get a good compromise, i.e. 5 cores at 4.0 and acceptable vcore.

Last edited:
Holy cow, that is a big difference. I assumed it was like mine. 5 cores is a good idea, I keep hearing core number 5 is usually the problem child when these are tested at the factory.

Bad core #5 is common but both locked cores on this one seem to be viable. Actually, core #3 when run as a quad core seems to be the weak one on this particular 960T.

Well, as a 5 core I can do 4 ghz with the same core voltage and other settings as I can a 6 core at 3.9 ghz. vcore in bios set to 1.425 and LLC to "enabled".

Attachments

• 5cores.JPG
    5cores.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 53
Here's 4.1+ ghz as a four core, 1.4365 vcore in bios with LLC enabled. I've concluded that LLC really helps with keeping idle voltages down while increasing core voltage under load to insure stability.

Attachments

• 4.1x4.JPG
    4.1x4.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 50
I have been running my 960t unlocked and over clocked with 16 gigs of G Skill 9 9 9 24 timing 1t, 2400 fsb and HTT my voltage is set to 1.375. I have been running stable for over 3 weeks. I am using a 16.5 multiplier, my memory speed set to 1600, HTT multiplier of 12, memory voltage 1.50. This is a Gigabyte board.....

I have been running my 960t unlocked and over clocked with 16 gigs of G Skill 9 9 9 24 timing 1t, 2400 fsb and HTT my voltage is set to 1.375. I have been running stable for over 3 weeks. I am using a 16.5 multiplier, my memory speed set to 1600, HTT multiplier of 12, memory voltage 1.50. This is a Gigabyte board.....

FSB of 2400? Did you mean 240?

Have you run Prime95 blend for at least a couple of hours to confirm the stability of these settings?

FSB of 2400? Did you mean 240?

Have you run Prime95 blend for at least a couple of hours to confirm the stability of these settings?

I have not run Prime for a couple of hours, and also note a correction that the 2400 is in reference to the CPU north bridge, and also the HT link Frequency number using multiplier 12 rendering them both at 2400. My voltage actually is now stable at 1.35v with memory voltage at 1.50. I also have a CPU clock multiplier of 19.5 as the most stable settings. I apologize for the the misquoted typo, and any misconceptions also.

The only real stress that i have done is run SCII for a day of gaming rofl. NO BSOD's

So throw the three tab pics from CPU-z at us: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Do you know how to attach pics with the built in forum tool?

well, looks like i have a dead ram stick now, maybe that was what was causing some of my crashes before....going to rma it and sell the kit when its replaced cuz thats the second kit. First one had one doa.. I guess i will try the ripjaws again, gotta pull em back out of the htpc and maybe ill try again from scratch. lol I thought corsair memory was supposed to be good....

Corsair typically makes high quality stuff. You got into a bad run, I guess. Keep us posted.

With Handbrake I rendered a 1 hr. mpg video recording into mpg4 in a little over 5 minutes with my 960T on 5 cores and 4 ghz. These Thubans really shine in that kind of task. Handbrake is one of the few real world aps I know of that is truly multit-hreaded and can take advantage of a CPU with lots of physical cores. I was watching the CPU Meter gadget while it was rendering and all of the cores were being worked very close to 100%.

With Handbrake I rendered a 1 hr. mpg video recording into mpg4 in a little over 5 minutes with my 960T on 5 cores and 4 ghz. These Thubans really shine in that kind of task. Handbrake is one of the few real world aps I know of that is truly multit-hreaded and can take advantage of a CPU with lots of physical cores. I was watching the CPU Meter gadget while it was rendering and all of the cores were being worked very close to 100%.

That sounds really good 'trents'. Handbrake can use as many cores as it can get to is my understanding; at least 8 cores since I have a bud uses that all the time and the difference in number of cores is dramatic. Congrats man. RGone...ster.

i wish i was in a cooler area because i;d be able to help with some info and what works for me but alas its too hot to run OCed and with 6 cores unlocked....

maybe with the new video card it will help the heat issue (its like 85F in here it feels like)

In what part of the state is Deadford, OR? Is that a real place? Must be east of the Cascades if it's hot, or in the Medford area.

no its medford.

it was getting to the 90s for a while and being upstairs in a room that almost all of one wall is windows facing the sun between 2pm and sundown, no shade what so ever arround the place it gets pretty hot.

sunblocker curtians are helping but after a certian poin it just doesent matter....plus the vents in the attic i suspect are blocked up with something because the heat just radiates from the celing well after sundown. its not till about 10:30 pm when you notice it cooling off but its still difficult to cool.

its temporary though, looking to buy a house of our own.

its been cool the past few days but i didnt feel like OCing it for a day only to not enjoy it or tweak it to the full potental so instead i finished benchmarking my system after the 2 cores unlocked before my 7870 comes.

i'll update an older post with that info soon, not much gains to be had and i belive the videocard is the limiting factor

Back