• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum Process...could ya do more than 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

Sorry for all the questions...But I was wondering if doing more than one process at a time would be better, Worse or the same for increasing WU output?? That's all...:)

Well, the # of processes selection was meant for a dual (or more) CPU system. On a dual, you'd run 2, on a quad, 4, etc. I think you can but it will slow your times down a lot. Can't say I've ever tried it though, so I can't tell ya for sure.

You could do 100, but it would take 100 times as long to see those results. We seem to like instant gratification and would rather do them one at a time, unless we are multiprocessing.

Just for the record, you can see 4 processes on a dual or 8 processes on a quad with P4 based chips that have hyperthreading. Each processor is represented as 2 virtual CPU's to the OS. We have a 4-Way Xeon MP that turns out 8 every 6:50 instead of 4 every 4+ hours. The 2-Way DP turns out 4 WU's every 5:30 instead of 2 every 3:30.

Back