• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mechanical switches.. Which brand is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
While waiting patiently for my cherry MX switch tester to arrive, I have been looking at various keyboards and switches. Seems there are many manufactures of switches, so I'm wondering if anyone here can say who's the best, which switch manufacture lasts the longest etc.

Is there even a difference between them all?
I hear Cherry MX has gold plated contacts, is that true/make a difference?
I have my eyes on this keyboard since I think Browns/Clears would be best for me but that's what the tester is for :)

Does keyboard brand itself have anything to do with quality? (Cherry better than say KeyCool?)
Thanks guys! :thup:

I've used a few different brands. The only ones I like are Cherry and the Logitech G910.

Keyboard brand doesn't matter other than how the switch is mounted.
What matters is switch brand, anyone can buy Cherry switches to use in a keyboard.

Note that the keyboard you linked to uses Kailh switches.
IMO they're garbage compared to Cherry.

I've used a few different brands. The only ones I like are Cherry and the Logitech G910.

Keyboard brand doesn't matter other than how the switch is mounted.
What matters is switch brand, anyone can buy Cherry switches to use in a keyboard.
Ahh okay. Basically only the switch matters for the most part.

Note that the keyboard you linked to uses Kailh switches.
IMO they're garbage compared to Cherry.
Yes they do use Kalih switches. I read (on reddit mind you) that the quality is very good as the same company makes automotive switches.

How come you say they are garbage?
Something happened when you were using one?

I've used Kailh switches, they feel "mushy" to me. Compared Kailh Brown directly to Cherry Brown.
This sentiment was shared by both myself and my girlfriend on two different keyboards using Kailh Browns.

I've used Kailh switches, they feel "mushy" to me. Compared Kailh Brown directly to Cherry Brown.
This sentiment was shared by both myself and my girlfriend on two different keyboards using Kailh Browns.
Thanks. When the tester arrives I'll bring it with me to Canadacomputers to compare the Cherry tester to some of the display model keyboards they have.

Was that the only complaint about the Kailhs though?

I second this Kyle. I have a CM quick fire storm with Cherry Browns in it, which I absolutely love. Every time I go to microcenter I walk down the keyboard isle just to see if there is anything else I like. Every time I play around with the Kailh switches I feel the same way. They just don't have the same feel as the Cherry switches. The Cherry switches just have a tactical feel and precision, that I don't find in the Kailh. This doesn't mean they're bad or inferior.

I second this Kyle. I have a CM quick fire storm with Cherry Browns in it, which I absolutely love. Every time I go to microcenter I walk down the keyboard isle just to see if there is anything else I like. Every time I play around with the Kailh switches I feel the same way. They just don't have the same feel as the Cherry switches. The Cherry switches just have a tactical feel and precision, that I don't find in the Kailh. This doesn't mean they're bad or inferior.

So we can say that Cherry Browns are more "crisp" in a sense compared to the Kailhs?

So we can say that Cherry Browns are more "crisp" in a sense compared to the Kailhs?
Yup and I like the Browns because they aren't as clickety clacky as the Blues. Note that I'm a bit of a brute when it comes to typing. I just mash the keys to the bottom of the stroke and release. It seems the people who do a lot of typing and or are proficient at typing tend to like the Blue keys.

Okay, do you guys know if any other switches feel the same way?
Just trying to keep my options open :)
The only two mechanical switches I know of are the Kailhs and Cherry. I may be wrong but I believe any others are re brands of those two.

Basically everything else is a copycat design of Cherry. Even Kailh is.

Gateron is another clone, even cheaper than Kailh.
Outemu is an RGB Cherry clone, IIRC it's a cheap Chinese knockoff.
Razer has some private label Kailh switches that are also crap.

The only thing I've tried that is on par with the quality of Cherry is the switch that Logitech designed for the G910.

Yup and I like the Browns because they aren't as clickety clacky as the Blues. Note that I'm a bit of a brute when it comes to typing. I just mash the keys to the bottom of the stroke and release. It seems the people who do a lot of typing and or are proficient at typing tend to like the Blue keys.

The only two mechanical switches I know of are the Kailhs and Cherry. I may be wrong but I believe any others are re brands of those two.
Hahah a masher eh? :p
I was concerned about the blue switches because they have to travel up high to release the key, (if that makes sense) and sometimes I'll rapidly tap a key so I thought the browns/clears would provide the feel I want without worrying about having to release the key all the way to register a key press.
Basically everything else is a copycat design of Cherry. Even Kailh is.

Gateron is another clone, even cheaper than Kailh.
Outemu is an RGB Cherry clone, IIRC it's a cheap Chinese knockoff.
Razer has some private label Kailh switches that are also crap.

The only thing I've tried that is on par with the quality of Cherry is the switch that Logitech designed for the G910.
Ahh, so Cherry is the original, and everything else is a copycat then. Thanks!

When you get your tester, you'll get a better feel for the Keys. No one can really tell you what you're going to like. I will say, it's almost painful for me to use a membrane keyboard now and on every Pc I use daily I've replaced the keyboard with a mechanical. My son likes his Logitech membrane I gave him and I used to like it a lot, but now I feel like I'm typing on mush. :D

Most are copies, not all. I just haven't found anything else, besides Cherry and the Logitech Romer-G, that I like.

Sampler is in!
20160126_175743.jpg

So far, as expected I dislike the Red and Blacks (I use Blacks at work) The brown feels too soft to me but the "clear" (looks like white to me :shrug: ) feels great.

I'm not sure about the Green or Blue. I love the feel of the Green but I think I would get tired of hearing the clicks while I game, not to mention if I stay up late to game, parents are sleeping in the next room.....

Back