• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mechanical switches.. Which brand is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Printed will wear away fastest, along with ones that are painted for backlighting

Printed will wear away fastest, along with ones that are painted for backlighting

Ehh on the fence about Royal Kludge now... Seems it's quality is lower than I thought.
I think it's best to take my time on this one, if I'm going to drop $100+ on a keyboard I better make sure I'm 100% happy with it. :)

His are printed I believe. The set on my ducky are laser etched and I've noticed no wearing. The set on my CM rapid are due subliminated and won't wear.

I can say on my CM Quick fire storm the WAS lettering is wearing off already due to BF4. Maybe I'll have to grab some new key caps.

I can say on my CM Quick fire storm the WAS lettering is wearing off already due to BF4. Maybe I'll have to grab some new key caps.

massdrop does have pretty good deals on nice cap sets. Usually have to wait a while on shipping tho :shrug:

I like Razers ones on their new Chroma line, clicky and sharp, and I'd say their actuation is pretty good too.

I like Razers ones on their new Chroma line, clicky and sharp, and I'd say their actuation is pretty good too.
Those must be the Kailh switches then?

Honestly I liked them a lot, my only issue with Royal Kludge (who uses Kailh) is the board itself seems cheaply made... Cheap looking plastic.
Mind you that was only one youtube video on it so quality remains to be seen.

Might drop the RGB LED thing and look into dual colours. I'mm probably end up picking 2 colours I like so RGB doesn't make sense if I'm using 2 out of 16.8 Million colours. That should open the search up. :)

I do have a question and hope you don't mind SP. Can someone tell me if RGB boards can be set up as one color or is it always random like it looks in the pictures.

My Corsair can be set one color, but two is more the norm usually the left number panel and the wasd keys are different purely for contrast but they don't have to be. Can't comment on other brands though.

My Corsair can be set one color, but two is more the norm usually the left number panel and the wasd keys are different purely for contrast but they don't have to be. Can't comment on other brands though.
You were quick Evil I actually deleted my post because I answered my own question. I was looking at the Ducky keyboards and they can be changed. Thanks.

I'm running a corsair keyboard (like the tray design for cleaning) w/ the cherry reds ... didn't think id care for it as I am a bit heavy handed and they are very sensitive but I installed an o-ring kit ... and I love this keyboard

You were quick Evil I actually deleted my post because I answered my own question. I was looking at the Ducky keyboards and they can be changed. Thanks.
Mike, I'm never opposed to someone else asking a question in my threads. To me, it promotes more discussion and that's a good thing :)

I hear Duckys are good keyboards, were you looking at the Ducky Shine? MechanicalKeyboards.com has a replica with KBT switches, but I'm unsure of their quality.

From what I read it's (Best to worst): Cherry -> Gateron -> Greentech -> Kailh. Some say Gateron switches are better than Cherry themselves. How these switches were rated best to worst is unknown, apparently it's general consensus that Kailh are "worst" of all clones... :shrug: I'm targeting both Greentech and Kailh switches though. I really did like the feel of those Kailh blues...
I'm running a corsair keyboard (like the tray design for cleaning) w/ the cherry reds ... didn't think id care for it as I am a bit heavy handed and they are very sensitive but I installed an o-ring kit ... and I love this keyboard
So do the O-rings help with you being heavy handed? I assume you installed the O-rings because you bottom out easily?

EDIT: Thought on Keycool at all?

Last edited:
Mike, I'm never opposed to someone else asking a question in my threads. To me, it promotes more discussion and that's a good thing :)

I hear Duckys are good keyboards, were you looking at the Ducky Shine? MechanicalKeyboards.com has a replica with KBT switches, but I'm unsure of their quality.

From what I read it's (Best to worst): Cherry -> Gateron -> Greentech -> Kailh. Some say Gateron switches are better than Cherry themselves. How these switches were rated best to worst is unknown, apparently it's general consensus that Kailh are "worst" of all clones... :shrug: I'm targeting both Greentech and Kailh switches though. I really did like the feel of those Kailh blues...

So do the O-rings help with you being heavy handed? I assume you installed the O-rings because you bottom out easily?

EDIT: Thought on Keycool at all?

yeah that and they do make my keyboard noticeably quieter tho not silent ... lol ... I work at home taking inbound calls for a major corporation and the callers can hear my clackity cklackity clack .,.. just not as badly ... :attn:

yeah running the corsair kb70 single backlit (red) w/ the cherry red switches (don't need all the fancy colors just a good backlight) ... and I highly recommend doing the o-ring mod

yeah running the corsair kb70 single backlit (red) w/ the cherry red switches (don't need all the fancy colors just a good backlight) ... and I highly recommend doing the o-ring mod

I have the RGB version with Cherry MX blues, which o rings did you put it and how difficult was it?

Thanks

yeah its tedious but worth it ... will protect your switches and make them quieter and since the cherry reds are about the most sensitive of the line they are really really noisy ... I still learning to soften my touch ... lol

Back