• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard or PSU on its way out???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
Been having an issue with my gaming rig this past few days.

Whenever I have windows shuts down, the system powers down, but then turns itself back on shortly after, about 2 seconds later. I have to unplug it to keep it off.

Now, when I turn it back on after doing this, the motherboard changes my settings, in which it overclocks my system even further than the settings I had it for the past 8 months... When I check the settings, the motherboard changes the multiplier to 20x rather than 19x (a 4.0ghz over my stable 3.8ghz).

I am not sure what is making my motherboard change the settings on me automatically.

Here are my specs and the model motherboard I have.

Attachments

• desktop.png
    desktop.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 87
  • bottom_big.jpg
    bottom_big.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 100
I would start by writing down any settings that I have set, then resetting the CMOS. If that still acts weird, I'd start by disconnecting anything unnecessary for the system to function to see if it repeats. If that fails, I'd replace the battery.

If all those fail to help, then I'd start swapping components one by one until I found what was wrong.

Looks like it was a PCI firewire card I installed a few days ago. I took it out and the system works as it should.

Back