• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, I am going to answer this question on the day it was posted. Don't get spoiled by this level of service.:) Yes, the bios page I posted is MoPMatrix's. There are others but that one is his. He did a nice job on it.

wth?

Hey everyone, this is my first post in this forum but it has already helped reading the advice everyone has on here. My problem is this:
I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum board running 1.37b (which actually reads 1.3B7 on boot-up) with an AMD 64 3000+ Winchester and 2x256 KHX and 2x512 KHX running in dual channel DDR400. The system runs awesome without OC'ing, but of course only at 1.8GHZ. So now I'm trying to OC it but for the life of me no matter what I do I can't get it stable above 235 FSB. I've tried taking the ram to 2.85v and running it at 100 max memclock with all the CAS/RCD/RP/RAS on auto (running it slow) and that had no difference. I've tried using CPU VID 1.55v with the extra 10% and it didn't work. HTT Freq is on 4x, so I'm actually running something like 940 FSB and currently 192 DDR (166 max memclock). My BIOS settings currently are:

High Perf - Disabled
Aggresive Timing - Disabled
Speed Up - Disabled
DRAM Drive Strength - Disabled
Speed Spectrum - Disabled
HT Freq - x4
Cool 'n' Quiet - Disabled
FSB - 235
AGP - 66
CPU VID - 1.5v
Mem Volt - 2.75v
AGP Volt - 1.70v

This is stable all day, with an occasional 40+ C degrees temperature.

I can take that same setup, max out all voltage (with the exception of AGP), and raise the FSB to 240 and it always crashes once Windows starts. Once the programs are loaded and I start to move the mouse, it starts to degenerate until it completely freezes.

Also, I normally run my Ram Timing (and am currently with the 235 FSB) at:
CAS - 2.0
Rcd - 3
Ras - 6
Rp - 2

and even though the ram is rated for it, no matter what I do, if I put it on 1T Windows always crashes before it even starts to load. This is even without the OC'ing. Don't know if you all can help me with that either.

Anyway, I really appreciate any kind of help I can get from you all. Thanks again.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the Forum!
It sounds to me like a ram issue, but there are other possibilities such as your PSU. Try posting all of your specs in your sign so we know just what your system consist of. Also, why is your AGP voltage so high? You won't gain anything with that so, I'd put it back down to stock.

I argee with rseven with the AGP voltage.

Try the 3x HTT multi, and try lowering your CPU multi to 8x or even 7x... this way you rule out if it's the CPU's end frequency or not. (if you have a CBBID stepping then you're gonna end up having to lower your multi... i had to when I had that stepping... so... check your stepping!!!)

Also, rseven correct me if I'm wrong b/c I don't really remember, but aren't you supposed to set DRAM Drive Strength to Enabled?

Oh, that dram strength slipped by me. The choices are normal and weak. It should be on normal in most cases.
Hey g0dM@n, don't you miss your Neo2................like a heart attack? :D

Could it be that he's using the wrong sata connectors? Isnt 230ish where they crap out on nf3 boards? (the correct one to use is those closest to the cpu, they are locked)

Good point, dawiper... that is probably what's holding him back!

Ppl always forget about that.

You have to use Sata 3 and 4 (the ones by the AGP slot), in order to pass 225-230fsb!!!

DaWiper said:
Could it be that he's using the wrong sata connectors? Isnt 230ish where they crap out on nf3 boards? (the correct one to use is those closest to the cpu, they are locked)

Possible

I think its because he is running 4 sticks of mixed RAM.

You guys are awesome! I didn't think you all would reply so quickly! Yeah I'm using the SATA connection next to the hard drive (and I knew about using the SATA 3 and 4 only) and I was mistaken, I thought the one I was using was 3 or 4. I'll change those when I get back (gotta run and get the mail). Also, I can't remember why my AGP voltage is so high, but I did it because when I built my computer someone recommended it to me. Forgot who though.

When I get back in I'll start with the hard drive and work from there. I think the hard drive is the issue though because it only craps out after windows has loaded, which means it would already be loaded into ram (which isn't even running at the full 200 bus right now). That's why I was so stumped. If the HD test doesn't work I'll take it to the CPU tests. Also I'll update my system specs too when I post my reply.

Thanks a million guys!

Last edited:
Freakin sweet, it's up and running at 245 FSB. Changed the HD to SATA3 and it's running perfect. Thanks a million everyone! Time to start seeing what I can get out of it!

Okay DaWiper, you win the door prize! :beer:
It usually turns out to be something simple. Good luck with it, Blue92LX.
Okay, contestants it's now time for Final Jeopardy! :bday:
(If you expected me to say something intelligent, you haven't read my other post. :rolleyes: )

Did I win!? wow!
I should say the answer jeopardy style: "Which SATA ports are locked?"

I'm always glad to help. Have fun ocing!

BTW, :welcome:

wth? Part 2

Hello again everyone. Thanks for the help before, maybe you all can help me out again. So far I have been able to OC as follows:

FSB - 255
AGP - 67
HT Freq - x4
CPU Mult. - x9
DDR333 (6:5 ratio) 2.5-3-3-7 2T (Which I still haven't been able to get to 1T)

This is a nice solid set up, hasn't crashed once. But anytime I try to raise above 255 with the current multipliers it doesn't boot windows, and if I take it down to HTT x3 and run Prime it says Fatal Error: Multiplier is .5 and is expected to be .4
Now, if I run the following:
FSB - 260+
HT Freq - x3
CPU Mult - x8
Ram stays the same

This will run, but it's pretty much pointless because it lowers the overall Speed of everything to the point where it would run faster with the original setup using 255FSB.

Anyway, I'm just asking for advice because I see so many people on here using the same Mobo/CPU/pc3200 ram that leave their multipliers on x4 and x9 and their system is flying. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Any additional info needed let me know.

Back