• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As MopMatrix said, running two different sets of ram might intoduce issues. And the winchester cpus will go to 333fsb and 2t when using 4 sticks. Even the never venice/san diegos will default to 2t when 4 sticks are present.
Try to use only one memory pair.
It could also be that you've found your max oc for your cpu.

blue92LX said:
Hello again everyone. Thanks for the help before, maybe you all can help me out again. So far I have been able to OC as follows:

FSB - 255
AGP - 67
HT Freq - x4
CPU Mult. - x9
DDR333 (6:5 ratio) 2.5-3-3-7 2T (Which I still haven't been able to get to 1T)

This is a nice solid set up, hasn't crashed once. But anytime I try to raise above 255 with the current multipliers it doesn't boot windows, and if I take it down to HTT x3 and run Prime it says Fatal Error: Multiplier is .5 and is expected to be .4
Now, if I run the following:
FSB - 260+
HT Freq - x3
CPU Mult - x8
Ram stays the same

This will run, but it's pretty much pointless because it lowers the overall Speed of everything to the point where it would run faster with the original setup using 255FSB.

Anyway, I'm just asking for advice because I see so many people on here using the same Mobo/CPU/pc3200 ram that leave their multipliers on x4 and x9 and their system is flying. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Any additional info needed let me know.

It could be your memory . Having all DIMM slots filled won't help your overclock. Many people have problems with their 3+4 DIMM slots.
For example my max OC with the memory in slots 3+4 allows a max FSB of 268. In slots 1+2 I can get past 290 Fsb. Plus disable all of your mobos onboard features that you don't use, I't might help the stablity. I disabled everything including SATA 1+2 , leaving the USB.

Dude, try OCing with one stick, and then just 2 sticks.

Then try 4 sticks... you want to know what's your limiter and you won't without trying what I said.

Please be warned, blue92LX, that the first help is free, but after that we charge.:)
Seriously, you need to lower your ht frequency to 3x for starters. Beyond that as everyone has said, your ram is the most likely culprit.

HeXenViRii said:
Has anyone ever tried 4x512mb on this board ? Are there any restrictions if you do ?
The only restriction you have is the fact that you can't use 1T. I have PQI TCCD Turbo memory which has a very nice latency so I make up for it there.

Has anyone ever tried 4x512mb on this board ? Are there any restrictions if you do ?
ProperMethodz said:
The only restriction you have is the fact that you can't use 1T. I have PQI TCCD Turbo memory which has a very nice latency so I make up for it there.
Dude, I mean this in a nice way, but he posted his question at 05-18-05, 12:38 PM, and you responded 6 and a half months alter. I highly doubt that is anyone use to him. I'm not trying to knock you down, but that's a LONG time. :D

Zebbo said:
There shouldn't be any restrictions on mobo for four 512MB sticks, it's pretty much about the CPU how it can handle it. If you have Venice / San Diego (or you are planning to get one), make sure you also use single sided modules, double sided modules are not going to give you performance of 1T. CPU limits it much more than mobo.

Is that only for 4 x 512? I hae 2 x 1 GB, obviously double-sided, so will I have to run 2T as well, or is that only if all 4 slots are populated?

Another huge concern I have is what BIOS is needed to run the E3 core Venice. I have a board on the way with 1.8, which is 2 revisions before MSI says they support E6 Venice, but they say nothing about E3 Venice. If my BIOS revision is too old for the chip, is it possible to flash it anyways? I know, stupid question, but maybe some boards don't need a fully-supported CPU for a BIOS flash. I hope my E3 is supported, or it's gonna be another $30 or so ordering a pre-flashed chip and backup chip, or a PITA (and almost as much $$) asking someone to flash it for me. Anybody know about this?

For 2x1gb RAM you should be able to run 1t.
And for the Bios you can run an E3 venice with 1.8.

hello. first time poster but ive been a long time lurker i currently have the following.

3000+ venice s939 1.8ghz>2.4ghz
2x512 mushkin redline @ 230fsb 2-3-3-6 166 divider
6800gt leadtek 256
msi neo2 plat
xp-90 w/ panaflo low

my computer seems to "jerk" or "lag" during game play. i dont kno what the reason is. does any one know? could it be one of the effects from overclocking?

i have the latest bios/drivers for all my hardware.

Welcome to the Forum, Pikah0ang.

The lag could be a driver issue. You might try uninstalling and using a driver cleaner program and then reinstalling. I had that problem when I switched from Nvidia to ATI and and some residual olod drivers still in the computer. Good luck with it.

I got friend who has this board and we got 254x11 166 4x from it so far. Very nice mobo but was wondering if there's a Vldt mod for it or if Vldt can be changed in bios?

If you are talking about vcore, the highest voltage is around 1.6 volts and yes, it can be modified in the bios. As for vdimm, it only goes to 2.85 in the bios, but you can use an OCZ DDR booster to go much higher.

Im trying to figure out whats happening here.

High Perf - Disabled
Aggresive Timing - Disabled
Speed Up - Disabled
DRAM Drive Strength - Disabled
Speed Spectrum - Disabled
HT Freq - x3
Cool 'n' Quiet - Disabled
FSB - 293
Multi - x9
AGP - 66
CPU VID - 1.47v
Mem divider - 133mhz
chip is a venice 3000+
bios : v1.C3 MOD Standard Edition by Sideeffect

After i clear the bios i can get to this point and run prime stable, reboot, play games etc. But if turn the computer off, it will not come back to life until i clear the bios and then put the settings back in again. Why ?

Nothing jumps out as being set wrong. Drive stength should be set at normal, I'm not sure what you meant by disabled. Somtimes folks have problems with the dividers with some ram. It could well be the limit of your CPU.

Back