• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mtron 16GB Solid State Drive vs. WD Raptor 150. MY REVIEW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These drives were just way too much $$$ for me to buy at this time, but the main thing I'm getting out of this ground breaking review is the proof of concept that SSD technology has finally arrived.

In a couple of years I'll be getting some SSD drives and hooking them up to the latest ML Areca controllers available and get some of this RAID 0 instant access love too.

Immortal_Hero said:
Wow 20k for 640 MB. I'll have to pass no matter how fast it is!!!

WOW... thats a uber expensive drive... Hmm lets see here... at $20K per 640MB, that equals out to... thats 2.56 Million per 80Gb drive LOL :cry:

We are talking about a controllers processor (the IOP333 in this example) not having the processing power to handle the throughput of these drives in raid 0. Hope this helps. Both the Areca 1220 and the Rocketraid controllers have the IOP333 unit, and I have tested the unit to have a bandwidth problem right around 390 to 450 MB/s. If he wants to try out the Rocketraid card, by all means he can. But I am pretty sure his card will ultimately have the same fate as my old Areca 1220 counterpart. They do not have a cap on PCIe bandwidth, they have a cap on actual controller processor.

Thanks Dom, I didnt even realise that was the same proc as in the 1220, so there goes that idea...

In a couple of years I'll be getting some SSD drives and hooking them up to the latest ML Areca controllers available and get some of this RAID 0 instant access love too.

In 2 years you should be able to buy a 80gb fusion IO card for cheaper then a ml series raid card is currently selling for so unless raid cards get very cheap very soon things are gonna change me thinks. At current setup costs the mtron drives for an 80gb raid plus card is gonna cost double the estimated release price of the fusion io, luckly for mtron is you dont need to buy all 80gb at once so you dont have to lay all that money out in one shot although 2 drives and a raid card at 800 each is still comming out to the same price the 80gb fusion card is supposed to release at.

I cant wait to see your reviews for the fusion cards dom. Most of us cant just pick this stuff up and hope it all works out. When I buy stuff like this I need to know its gonna work and your testing is a huge help!

Last edited:
Dom...

I'm jealous... like seriously :D

Makes me wet my pants in anticipation for whats to come in SSD technology. I read all 100+ posts here, took me a while , but it was definitely a good, worthwhile read. Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly test such promising technology. I watched your video of Vista booting up, and I swear I replayed it like 10 times lol :beer: I haven't been able to find out a lot of information on the performance of the Fusion IO's though. How do you think these two devices compare?

I must have missed the videos, where are they?

jive it took 20secs to boot into windows vista and a total of 1min to do a full startup and shutdown of vista. can a raptor do that? LOL

Congratulations. We have found another throughput cap. This time believe it or not, I AM NOT MAD! We have taken a long journey to get this point and the fact is that because of the sheer power of the Mtron SSD's we have overcome limitation after limitation on these drives. First, we found the throughput cap on the Intel IOP333 Areca 1220 raid controller at 400 MB/s so we moved up to the Areca 1231ML which removed the cap and allowed us to soar freely above 600 MB/s. Now, we have found another absolute maximum on the Ultra High End Areca 1231ML raid controller IOP341 processor. 850 MB/s seems to be where the most powerful consumer Areca raid controller fails to produce anymore throughput. Since the highly acclaimed Areca 1280 is fed processing power by the same Intel IOP341, I doubt that upgrading to the complete high end 1280 controller would make any difference at all.

9 X Mtron 16GB in Raid 0
830 MB/s sustained read, .1ms, 1200 MB/s burst

Ask me why I am not mad?
I am not mad because I honestly do not think that any mainstream hardware raid controller under $1000 on the consumer level has the capability to actually produce and use 1 GB/s of throughput. We have found the absolute maximum potential of the uber expensive Areca 1231ML raid controller to be 850 MB/s capped.

So, I am quite happy to be honest!

Attachments

• tach.jpg
    tach.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5,162
Nice work again Dom!

Perhaps you can send an email to Areca and get them whipping up the next best thing! :D Even better yet, send it directly to you for testing...lol.

What's boot time like on this setup? Can we get another vid?

That is fantastic! Nice job. What was hipro's score?

Also, I'd love to see either the 64GB or 128GB drives come down from THREE FREAKING GRAND because those are about the sweet spots for me in terms of storage...

Announcing the title of my next article on NLH:
Battleship Mtron
"Solid State Raid 0 Performance Scaling In Depth"

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 452
Dom,

I could swear that when I was looking up areca info, it SEEMED to say you could run one raid array off TWO cards, so another areca1231ml and split the mtrons between the two, and that should up the benchies a little. 1700 mbs availabe between two cards. like raid SLI.

Sorry if you already mentioned this but.

What is the max stripe size the areca 1231ml controller will do? and is the max what you used in your tests?

I noticed with the I-ram that even tho 128k stripe benchmarked faster, that the 4k stripe size actually was faster in real usage.

Also, when I timed loading a level in say crysis, which shows how long the level took to load, that 1 i-ram would load the demo in say 12 seconds, and a 2nd i-ram would shorten that to maybe just over 11, and adding a 3rd did nothing to lower it all, so 1 SSD is pretty killer for speed as far as the average person would need.

Nostromo

Dom,

I could swear that when I was looking up areca info, it SEEMED to say you could run one raid array off TWO cards, so another areca1231ml and split the mtrons between the two, and that should up the benchies a little. 1700 mbs availabe between two cards. like raid SLI.

Sorry if you already mentioned this but.

What is the max stripe size the areca 1231ml controller will do? and is the max what you used in your tests?

I noticed with the I-ram that even tho 128k stripe benchmarked faster, that the 4k stripe size actually was faster in real usage.

Also, when I timed loading a level in say crysis, which shows how long the level took to load, that 1 i-ram would load the demo in say 12 seconds, and a 2nd i-ram would shorten that to maybe just over 11, and adding a 3rd did nothing to lower it all, so 1 SSD is pretty killer for speed as far as the average person would need.

Nostromo
A lot of your questions will be answered in my review.
Thats why I have hesitated and refrained from responding in here about application loading and boot under Raid 0.

Windows boot remained identical from 1 drive to 2, to 5, to 9.
Application loading for the most part received the most benefit from the single SSD, just as I predicted. You will notice the largest single benefit swapping out your mechanical rotating HDD for an SSD for random file reads and app loading. But, when raiding SSD's you are only adding horsepower, not torque.

If you can kind of get that analogy. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you blast through the wall and how much damage you inflict. In drag racing torque is what gets you off the starting line and through the first 60 feet of the race, horsepower is what wins the race up top.

Now place that analogy into computers. Imagine torque = access time/latency and horsepower = sustained read. One single SSD will give you below .1ms access time, so your torque is going to create the snappy feeling and instantaneous file loads. Now, even though you are adding additional horsepower (more drives in raid 0) your torque remains the same. So unless you are loading apps/games that have a few heavier duty file loads. ie: larger blocks of files during the load, not small blocks. The games/apps will benefit from more horsepower during the load operation. So, for the most part the Raid 0 array scaled incredibly and windows feels much nicer as a total package. But specific game/app loads are not something you should be jumping for joy about in a Raid 0 array. They are pretty much identical for the most part to a single SSD.

However, in all other instances including combined read/write operations and OS file write operations the Raid 0 array will prove to be a dramatic increase in performance.

I have a whole slew of results coming in my next article. Youre gonna love it!

Dom

PS- Max stripe size is 128k. I have tried every stripe size (except for 4k) and in synthetic benchmarking they all produced identical figures including CPU uitlization. As far as real world analysis, I didnt even think to measure. Good point.

Back