• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mtron 16GB Solid State Drive vs. WD Raptor 150. MY REVIEW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Torque is the power, horsepower is the rate at which its done. I see more and more car analogies on this forum. I like where its going!

Well this is why i left this thread be for a few days (expect missing out on cheap SSD's, but oh well! saves me money anyhow). I come back and see this godly-ness. I'm so speechless i have to type.

On behalf of everyone I'm sure, I would like to thank you Dom for giving us the opportunity to see the drives in action on our very own forum. Especially at your own initial cost. I will certainly support www.nextlevelhardware.com!

Torque is the power, horsepower is the rate at which its done. I see more and more car analogies on this forum. I like where its going!

Well this is why i left this thread be for a few days (expect missing out on cheap SSD's, but oh well! saves me money anyhow). I come back and see this godly-ness. I'm so speechless i have to type.

On behalf of everyone I'm sure, I would like to thank you Dom for giving us the opportunity to see the drives in action on our very own forum. Especially at your own initial cost. I will certainly support www.nextlevelhardware.com!

Hipo.
Thank you so much man!

Got published on DailyTech.. Woohoo, already received 500 views direct from DailyTech clickthrough:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9976

Last edited:
#2 in PC05 is less then 300 points away but he has an ultra and I think that is were he is beating you. All you need is some LN2 and x-fire :) do it!

What do the 9 drives bench in HD Tune? 1gb/s and .1ms? I want screen caps now! :)

#2 in PC05 is less then 300 points away but he has an ultra and I think that is were he is beating you. All you need is some LN2 and x-fire :) do it!

What do the 9 drives bench in HD Tune? 1gb/s and .1ms? I want screen caps now! :)

CHECK MY LAST POST ON PAGE 7:

Congratulations. We have found another throughput cap. This time believe it or not, I AM NOT MAD! We have taken a long journey to get this point and the fact is that because of the sheer power of the Mtron SSD's we have overcome limitation after limitation on these drives. First, we found the throughput cap on the Intel IOP333 Areca 1220 raid controller at 400 MB/s so we moved up to the Areca 1231ML which removed the cap and allowed us to soar freely above 600 MB/s. Now, we have found another absolute maximum on the Ultra High End Areca 1231ML raid controller:. 850 MB/s on the Intel IOp341 seems to be where the most powerful consumer Areca raid controller fails to produce anymore throughput. Since the highly acclaimed Areca 1280 is fed processing power by the same Intel IOP341, I doubt that upgrading to the 1280 controller would make any difference at all.

9 X Mtron 16GB in Raid 0
830 MB/s sustained read, .1ms, 1200 MB/s burst

Attachments

• tach.jpg
    tach.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 433
Dom

Yes, I get the analogy, and it's right on the mark.

Thanks for the thread, has my mouth watering.

The fusion IO seems to appeal to me more, BUT i DO like the fact the mtrons
will take no slots, something people who want to run sli or even tri sli would have to consider. (or crossfire for that matter)

Look forward to the full review.

Hazaro LMAO that pic is awesome.

Nostromo

Dom you better update your review soon, as people are gonna totally flip out about it :)

Thanks again guys.
This review is taking me longer than expected but it should be ready sometime next week!

PS - I have one Mtron remaining for sale in the OCF classifieds in case anyone is interested we can make another lucky OCF member happy.

and now i feel stupid for buying 2x 74gb 16megger raptors... oh well it'll hold me off a couple yrs til i can afford this stuff. i'd be fine with a 1x32gb OS partition or 2x16gb raid0. that's the main reason i'd use these SSDs.

good review.

Here are some quick prelim results from my 2 X Mtron 16gb pro raid array on 680i chpset under the NVidia Raid.

Fist pic is my 2 X Raptor X 150GB Nvidia array

hdbenchraptor150raidft3.jpg

Second pic is the Mtron array

mtronraidtm7.jpg

Let me know what you guys think about the numbers.

Here are some quick prelim results from my 2 X Mtron 16gb pro raid array on 680i chpset under the NVidia Raid.

Fist pic is my 2 X Raptor X 150GB Nvidia array

img

Second pic is the Mtron array

img

Let me know what you guys think about the numbers.

What's with the mountains?

hmmm.
Your results look a little low for an Nvidia 680i mobo. For comparison this is what DVNation got on Nvidia 680i with 2 X Mtron Pro 32GB SSD's:

Asus Striker Extreme (nVidia 680i chipset), Intel Core2Quad @ 3.41Ghz, Motherboard nVidia 680i motherboard controller

Attachments

• MTRON-2X-RAID0.jpg
    MTRON-2X-RAID0.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
This was my PM response to you:

Wow man. It is absolutely incredible that you are limited to basically a single drive under raid 0. On my controller, I was able to obtain 121.6 MB/s throughput on the single drive as a pass through device. That means your 2 drives is performing very similar to a single drive.

hmm.. Do you have a different onboard raid controller on the motherboard? Sometimes mobo's have two different sets of controllers one on the southbridge and another onboard. Try raiding on the other controller if you have one.

If not: I would recommend sending an e-mail to [email protected] (zeta park) and also [email protected] (neo store mtron distributor) also [email protected] (big time enterprise mtron distributor and guru) for technical advice and service.

Man, the performance that I felt when moving from my raptor setup was like night and day. But you are definitely CAPPED right now dude.

Is he folding in the background, causing it to dip like that? Jeez! I guess SSD drives are not made for on board controllers, well, at least not the 680i. Which is why I switched to matrix raid, with my gigabyte.

Hey Dom, have you tried using spinning disks on those controllers, 400Mhz vs 800Mhz engine. Wonder how much more those perps would do with some real brawn!

Back