• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mtron 16GB Solid State Drive vs. WD Raptor 150. MY REVIEW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you go to dvnation.com or the neo geo store, the 16GB Pro is currently priced at I think $777 and the 32GB version is $1,177. It will be some time before they come down into the $400 price range. Given that the technology is currently at about $50 per GB, it will be many moons before is starts coming down in price. As NAND becomes more and more popular technology, I'm sure the costs will come down, just like it did with IDE and SATA drives. Do you remember when a 500MB Hard Drive was like $400 or so? LOL. And now look... we have drives that are 2,000 times that capacity for cheaper.

I reinstalled my new array. I had a 500gb baracuda atached before and whaen I reinstalled I diconnected that drive. It apears that the boot loader for vista was somehow installed on that drive because when I disconnected it I was not able to boot from the nvidia raid array (which was set as the boot drive in bios and in nvidia raid).

So after the reinstall I now have a more level read graph but I am still experiencing a banwidth cap. It feels like my raid array is the same as one drive. I am gonna contact some people that Dom sug. to get theere take on it. From what I hear they have tested these drives with the 680i chipset on nvraid.

Here are the new benchies!

raidmtronarrayoq9.jpg

Still looks like there is some very funny stuff going on there!

I cantacted one of the guys that work with these drives about my bandwidth issues and this is the response I got:

"I actually hate the consumer benchmarks. They show overall results,
but really hide the underlying details.We have found that most motherboard SATA controllers are mediocre at best and some are downright lousy. There are two points that the MB controllers seem to fall down on. One is transfer rate, which is what you are seeing. The other is random reads.So far in our testing, the best controllers have been HighPoint 2300 series "dumb" raid boards. You can get a Pci-E 1x 4 port board for about $110 and a 4x 4 port board for $160 (try NewEgg). These boards seem to push the random read and linear speeds of the drive up to their
theoretical values. This seems to be true for the 1x board up to 2 drives and the 4x board up to 4 drives. If you have more than 4
drives, you will slow down somewhere. We have a test paper on this at: http://mtron.easyco.com/news/papers/07-12-01_mtron-benchmarks.pdfWe have tested "smarter" boards like the LSI 8038, but the presence of an on-board CPU seems to slow things down. These "smart" boards may do
better at linear read/write speeds, but in random accesses, we have
seen 60% degradations. Now of course your mileage may vary.Now realize that we are testing raid-5 for database and server usage. All of our tests as of now are in Linux (not Windows). To be honest, raid-0 testing for the gaming user is not that interesting to us (and
no server user would ever run raid-0 anyway)."

So I guess these drives just dont work quite as well as a few of us hoped, directly off the mother board anyway. Not that I cant hadle spending a little extra dough on a raid controller, esp. after the price on these drives. It would have been nice though (im sure others feel the same way)

Here's Samsung's SSD entry. I don't know how well it performs compared to a Raptor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820147021

yea i pointed that one out a while back when the free HD came with it. i thought about 2 of them to test but after thinking about it. it would imo not be worth it, cause first you need a 44pin ide to 40pin adapater. then another adapter if you want to use it as SATA. though i wouldnt complain about a free 300gig drive with a SSD. just turn around and sell it or something. for the price though it looks alot better then the ST SSD's.

So far in our testing, the best controllers have been HighPoint 2300 series "dumb" raid boards. You can get a Pci-E 1x 4 port board for about $110 and a 4x 4 port board for $160 (try NewEgg). These boards seem to push the random read and linear speeds of the drive up to their
theoretical values.
That's bull. Check out these results using 2x MTRON 16GB MSP-6025 on a RocketRaid 2310
weird.png

That's bull. Check out these results using 2x MTRON 16GB MSP-6025 on a RocketRaid 2310
weird.png

Oh man. This is bad news if True.

Justchill I wouldve definitedl ordered that Areca 1220 or 1231 that I told you about.

if your using these drives, and spent that much cash on them, i would think the extra $500 for a real raid controller to get the true benefit of them would be a given.

intel just needs to produce a better raid controller and get away from software, This is really only an issue on intel boards not nvidia but im sure with lots of drives even nvidias cant cope with the power these bring.

What ever trickery they are doing, its not working on SSDs... Which is why true hardware controllers really shine with SSDs... Makes sense... The drives are newer than the RAID controller technology.. The manufactures are not benching them with SSDs.... ;)

I know this is a thread about Mtron drives but I just thought I'd mention that I've talked to Fusion io's CTO David Flynn and he tells me that they will also have a 40GB drive available (possibly with slightly lower performance than the 80GB+ drives). They will probably be available from Dell and HP.

The price they're aiming at according to their site is $30 per GB which means it would end up at about $1200. I don't know about you but for that kind of performance (easily beating the crap out of everything currently available) I'd say it's a bargain.

ETA on Vista drivers for the ioDrive isn't until mid 2008.

I know this is a thread about Mtron drives but I just thought I'd mention that I've talked to Fusion io's CTO David Flynn and he tells me that they will also have a 40GB drive available (possibly with slightly lower performance than the 80GB+ drives). They will probably be available from Dell and HP.

The price they're aiming at according to their site is $30 per GB which means it would end up at about $1200. I don't know about you but for that kind of performance (easily beating the crap out of everything currently available) I'd say it's a bargain.

ETA on Vista drivers for the ioDrive isn't until mid 2008.

Thats news to me. I havent been able to reach David or Rick White for a few months now. They used to return my emails instantaneously, and I am also on the list to receive an 80GB vista/xp drive for my hardware review site NLH.

I was starting to get worried because we shouldve had Linux devices out on the test market by now. Launch was November for the Linux 80GB unit, but we still dont have one.

Any ETA on these devices at all or any contact with Rick? I am actually getting a little worried about Fusion IO launch.

Back