• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first attempt at WB design! Critique it for me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ed.howell said:
What kind of CNC are you going to be using? If it's a good one like a Makino or another high speed CNC you will be able to cut that in maybe an hour or two and you won't have to worry about breaking those towers.

What type of software are you using to cut that? I am a Plastic Injection Prototype Moldmaker so I am familiar with stuff like this. If you can ramp your cutter to cut those towers. Don't ruff them out cut right to finish. I cut stuff similar to this all the time. We use Fadal CNC's with Siemens high speed controllers. They are descent but we are looking into some Makino's.

Listen to me I am sure that if you can draw that up then you know how to machine it :D . I am just trying to help.

Good Luck,

Ed

Ya know, in all the time I've worked there, I never bothered to check the brand name of the cnc, or the software it uses? I guess I'm just dumbfounded by the great work it does, but I have seen many very intricate peices come from it, so I'd say its a pretty high quality machine. I would immagine it used Siemens controllers as well as almost all the other machinery does and the machines we sell use them.

Thanks for the tips.

Shadowcat said:
Hey another solidworks user!

Cool block man.. BUT those mounting / screwing holes are WAAAY too close to the edge to be safe.. either move them in, or make your block slightly bigger!

I will probably add about 4mm in each direction to to allow for an extra 2mm eat each hole, I'll work that into my next revision.

Thanks for the pointer.

Ok, I have started a core redesign, its not finished yet, but it shows bascially what I had in mind.

WB cone.jpg

The other idea on my mind is to instead of rods around the cone in the center is to have fines the same as the ones already there to fan out all from the center, I think I like that idea better but I'm having a hard time to try and implement it into the drawing.

Let me know if what you guys think would be better.

JDXNC said:
Ya know, in all the time I've worked there, I never bothered to check the brand name of the cnc, or the software it uses? I guess I'm just dumbfounded by the great work it does, but I have seen many very intricate peices come from it, so I'd say its a pretty high quality machine. I would immagine it used Siemens controllers as well as almost all the other machinery does and the machines we sell use them.

Thanks for the tips.

No problem!! ;)
I really like your updated design. That should create some awesome turbulent flow. I am just getting into watercooling and I was thinking about building my own waterblock but since I am just getting into w/c I wanted to learn more about it.

Good luck!!!

Ed

Ok, here is my finned idea:

wbcone2.jpg

I'm thinking this would be much more simple to machine than the previous design. The large mass of the cone should draw the heat away from the center which is right where the cpu fore will be and should wick away into the fins for quick dissipation.

You want as much turblience as possible, a cone will aid in water flow, you want it to strike the base as hard as possible.

Jon

i think the center cone is too thick. dunno why, i have no clue what im talkn about, but i just think its too thick and it wont dissipate the heat very well

Kewl.

I never went for the center cone, and focused instead on the intake. I've never believed that a cone would actually do anything usefull: it should only increase the temperature gradient between the core and the water.

Nice design mine is "something like that....i will "draw" it up in SolidWorks once i get my comp with it up and running again should be in a few weeks.....not sure...maybe i will do it at school. I like the cone desing drill dimples inbetween each fin to increase the turbulance use a form of imprignation to make the water SLAM the bottom of that block....also instead of the cone like that try to make it fins all at 90deg so it makes a circle with a cross in the center that will give you much more surface area ust a thought but NICE job....

I am using a hand mill so my blocks can't be a radical as yours...my freinds bad works with them at work but i'm not going to bother him about it lol as i am already using his mill at home...

Any way GREAT JOB MAN!!!

Ok, here's a quick drawing with dimensions for those interested. All dimensions are in milimeters.

wbdim.jpg

I haven't had any time to work on it really, so its still with the cone idea. From the drawings you'll be able to see that the cone itself is actually quite small. I might change this to a small cylinder, maybe 2mm in diameter.

The cone by no means will aid in inpingment, it will actually aid in smooth flow, wich isnt good at that point. Those extra fins will only cause backpressure, they will by no means aid in cooling.

Also, make the outer dimentions 50x75mm, youll appreciate it later when you try to mount it.

Jon

JDXNC said:
Ok, here's a quick drawing with dimensions for those interested. All dimensions are in milimeters.

I haven't had any time to work on it really, so its still with the cone idea. From the drawings you'll be able to see that the cone itself is actually quite small. I might change this to a small cylinder, maybe 2mm in diameter.
Hot dog, I just noticed you're in QC: I moved to Texas from Montreal, a few years ago!

I'm still trying to get SolidWorks up and running (getting very close).

At this point, you should already have an idea of how to actually make the block (right? :D ). CNC'ing this thing gets tricky, because of the small size endmills required. Jon knows... ;)

i think that he has enough surface area with that design so that he dosn't need an imprignent flow design but it is up to him....look at the maze 4 that is smooth flow and none imprignet and cools very well also has less "effective" surface area....

Back