• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first FX build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have bunches of mobo manuals. They're great for looking stuff up before I go in to the BIOS, and handy as hell when someone here has a question. :D

You linked to another forum?!:eek:

:forecast:

No problem. That database is the place to research AM2/2+, AM3/3+, and FM1 and FM2 motherboards for overclocking potential, at least as far as VRMs are concerned. If you ever decide to pick one of those chips up to play with or for a backup rig, that's where you want to go first. That knowledge is scattered throughout OCF, for sure, but it could take a lot of posts and still no guarantee the guy with that last tidbit for the mobo you're considering will post. Check out the lists, they're pretty comprehensive.I was surprised by some boards that are ok for (minor) overclocking. Some cheap AM2 boards had decent power sections (and core unlockers).

4 phase budget msi board...;)

LOL I don't think so really. This one at least has big HS on the MOSFET and when I see the budget MB's of the same era this one is one of the very few MB's that actually came with the MB.
One reason why many were mad is because the MOSFET would burn up because of no cooling.
ANd at 4.4GHz 24/7 1.5Vcore is AMAZING! the CPU is still fast.

From that database...

vrm.jpg

And then it says....MSI confirms 8 cores exceeds the safe limits on this board.

vrm2.jpg

You'll notice it says to avoid overclocking Octos on there and it is known for problems due to its 4(+1) phase VRM. New it was also a budget/inexpensive motherboard so it may not have all the features (like LLC as the VRM is too weak to OC octos well). So, yes, it is a 4 phase budget motherboard. There are plenty of boards back in the day that came with a heatsink on the VRM. Just because it does, however, doesn't mean what its cooling is capable... just that it can get heat away faster.

Last edited:
I also blew up 2 Msi 970A G45 boards.....trying to mildly Oc on them.

Sweet!

If it aint smokin you aint over clockin!

Funny thing is this MB is old and is doing great so am I doing some thing right ? LOL.
I'm not sure what your sayin here. I do not know what you had going on but this goodwill MB is doing absolutely AMAZING! 4.4GHz 1.48Vcore! V8 GTS cooler never lets this CPU under 100% load (8 full hours) get above 58*C!!! ( Another fun fact all them so called reviews of this cooler are WRONG IMHO! ) AMAZING!!
I plan to keep this system a long time to come. With a video card upgrade.

Funny thing is this MB is old and is doing great so am I doing some thing right ? LOL.
Are you really? Or are you lucky? There is a reason people, MSI themselves, stated its running out of spec for an octo. It really is a matter of time before it ****s the bed on you. It may crap out in 5 weeks, or it may never. The point is even MSI said its running out of spec. So it does WORK, but clearly woudn't be an optimal choice going against what MSI says (I supposed you will say they are wrong 'in your opinion'). Make sure you are actively coolin those VRMs.. a small fan across them on the front and one for the socket will help things out.

I'm not sure what your sayin here.
He is sharing his experience of overclocking with that board. IIRC, there was literally ONE MSI board worth its cost for overclocking that generation chip. All those in the know steered people away from MSI boards from that time period. Just because his blew up, doesn't mean yours will. But again, sub par VRM, MSI says not too.... there are reasons for it. We all hope that board works out long term for you... but there are good reasons to believe it wont is all we are saying. There are exceptions to everything. Great mobos die, bad mobos live...but that doesn't take away from the fact that the board wasn't meant to OC it (facts, not opinion based of an anecdotal 'it works for me').

( Another fun fact all them so called reviews of this cooler are WRONG IMHO! ) AMAZING!!
Are you for real or a bot? My friend... if I was you I would listen to those around you... you would learn quite a bit. Or, live in your box of ignorant bliss. We are trying to help people, not mislead them with misinformed opinions (we went over this several months ago - just because its an opinion, does not absolve it from being right or wrong).

Last edited:
Are you really? Or are you lucky? There is a reason people, MSI themselves, stated its running out of spec for an octo. It really is a matter of time before it ****s the bed on you.

He is sharing his experience of overclocking with that board. IIRC, there was literally ONE MSI board with its cost for overclocking that generation chip. All those in the know steered people away from MSI boards from that time period.

Are you for real or a bot? My friend... if I was you I would listen to those around you... you would learn quite a bit. Or, live in your box of ignorant bliss.... just don't post that BS and you won't get corrected on it. We are trying to help people, not mislead them with misinformed opinions.

!: Okay but it has been alive for like 10 years? and I have had it now for 2 years and have not had one issue with this MB. (I got from Goodwill knocking about in a huge bin in a thermaltake case).
2: I am stating my current experience with an FX8300 over clocked to 4.4GHz, I have yet to see any issues with heat at all. I check with a enno Logic eT650D Dual Laser Infrared Thermometer.
3: Yes I am for real, Why is it that you are calling me a liar? I have tested the V8 cooler and I have not found the reviews of it to match anything near the temps I am getting at all. I must not be reading the software right then, Maybe I need to add 20*c to the readings? Should I also do this for the thermometer?

I just hate it when my results do not jive with the mainstream testers ruling. Because when I get different results, there seems to be a huge backlash for some reason. I know it's going against the grain of things but I guess I am lucky! Like the V8 cooler on this massive heater! It does keep the CPU temps from reaching 60*c under load, Just how hard is that to believe? Even the people that bough the thing report the same temps yet that ONE tester reached a different one , But they are right NOT YOU!

I am NOT telling anyone to run out and get a FX system HELL NO it is outdated and slow! I am saying that 4.5Ghz is going to happen! This MB is Great for a Goodwill find the CPU cooler IS better than the reviews from the testers NOT an OPINION A FACT! I will back up!

!:

I just hate it when my results do not jive with the mainstream testers ruling. Because when I get different results, there seems to be a huge backlash for some reason. I know it's going against the grain of things but I guess I am lucky! Like the V8 cooler on this massive heater! It does keep the CPU temps from reaching 60*c under load, Just how hard is that to believe? Even the people that bough the thing report the same temps yet that ONE tester reached a different one , But they are right NOT YOU!

I am NOT telling anyone to run out and get a FX system HELL NO it is outdated and slow! I am saying that 4.5Ghz is going to happen! This MB is Great for a Goodwill find the CPU cooler IS better than the reviews from the testers NOT an OPINION A FACT! I will back up!

It cannot be a fact, because simply you are not using the same exact setup these reviewers are using. My i7-7800x @ 4.6ghz would run way hotter using that cooler than your fx @ 4.4ghz, not only that it would be way hotter than your current cpu. the reviewers use scientific data, and use the same hardware and testing setup (same cpu same overclock settings same everything) for all reviews of all coolers. so when they say the hyper 212 cooler is just as good as the v8 its because it cooled their cpu the same, not yours, not mine. Its a comparison of how much heat the design is able to dissipate at a certain rate. Just because it cools to 45c on your cpu doesnt mean it will on someone elses. but if you put a d15 on your cpu it would be cooler than that v8, want to know how we know? science, and data.

Lastly no one is saying your motherboard is junk, just that you're lucky the company that makes that board says it should not be able to do what you are making it do. So they are giving you a warning saying "hey if you keep pushing it and break it, don't say we didn't warn you" by all means go ahead get 5ghz while you're at it.

Really listen man they are trying to help you. for folgers sake.

Last edited:
Trickson69
No one is saying that your parts don't work together and the cooler is working for your purpose.
What is being said is that most people wouldn't recommend the CM V8 GTS because there are better options for the money, sure it keeps your FX cool but what have you got to compare with? As Wagex said a test system is set up and every cooler is tested under the same conditions to come up with that data. That's a fact, your opinion is that you like the V8, that's fine it's yours and go ahead and use it.
As for the Goodwill MSI board, there isn't anyone who frequents here who recommend that motherboard for anyone. If it works great all the power to you but it's still a bottom end cheap MSI board that really isn't built to accommodate and 8-core FX CPU.
You're entitled to your opinions, no need to get all defensive when someone says, well it's not the best. That's because it isn't, it's adequate but it absolutely isn't the best air-cooler in production, it is mediocre as has been said multiple times.
I can run an 8 core FX at 4.4 GHz on a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 does that make it just as good as the V8 but a third of the price? Probably not but in this situation it can do the same thing as the V8. That's not testing and gathering data for comparison, it's your experience.

I had it at 4.5GHZ!!!
It even ran OCCT linepack for 15 min then crashed lol!
I need more fine tuning.

I am getting what I am getting with my setup believe me or not I could careless! I have posted up proof I am not a liar nor am I faking it.
Sorry YOU aint got my luck with computer parts I guess, I am having so much fun with this exact setup. AMAZING and since my system is proof to ME well that is all I NEED right?
We can agree to disagree.

I had it at 4.5GHZ!!!
It even ran OCCT linepack for 15 min then crashed lol!
I need more fine tuning.

I am getting what I am getting with my setup believe me or not I could careless!.

WE BELIEVE YOU HOLY MOLEY. no one is saying you are lying bro, you need to take a happy pill and go sleep off this delusion. Then when you wake up.. come back and re-read what in the world we are telling you.

Alright everyone. Lets keep a level head. I can say this, we're all happy you are getting great results Trickson. We are all here to help out and offer advice. Sometimes advice, opinions, hell, even scientific data may throw up a differing result. I think everyone's point has been made and there's really nothing to gain from beating a dead horse.

What I got from reading reviews, is it's a good cooler, cooks good, just much more expensive than other brands in the same cooling class. Fans loud. :shrug:

Back