• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first FX build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe they still have the outright world record at 8.73 GHz, or somewhere thereabouts. The Asus CH V and Sabretooth 990 FX have most of the FX records.

Going to need some serious cooling for 6 + Ghz. Best I could do on sub ambient water was 5.7. Made a 7.7+ ghz on Ln2. Watched Johan45 just scrape the bottom of a 8.0 ghz run on a Fx 9370. Great chips to play with. Mine ran nearly 8 years 24/7 even after countless times frozen and whole heapings of voltage.

Last edited:
I really like this CPU. I got it for like $120 Dollars. It is IMHO worth every cent.
I don't think I will be hitting any records but 4.4GHz for a $120 Dollar CPU is IMHO OUTSTANDING, And surprisingly still has many more miles left to go before it is too slow to go, If you know what I mean.

I'm glad you have a positive outlook on that CPU. Its pretty old and well behind today's chips (was well behind the chips it competed with back in the day), even in gaming, but it can still play them, surely! :)

When did you buy that CPU for $120?

Also doubles as a space heater, handy in the winter

I bought it back in 2017 and it still has legs IMHO. Need a good video card setup in it the HD5870 is way to old for this CPU and RAM. it is holding they system back big time.

I wouldn't SLI/CFx that thing honestly...it will hold back a fair amount of potential of anything remotely modern and worthwhile.

Single card depends on your budget. :)

I ran (run) a used blower style GTX 1070 with a FX 8370 and have no issues at 1080p/60 Hz. I used that rig for a month recently while my daily driver was down for mobo RMA. Biggest performance hit I took in games was the card. LOL

For 120 US pounds? In 2017?

:( okay

I think it was like 80 bucks and some shipping cost, It wasn't 120 bucks I think that's what the R3 1300X cost me. and it was a great buy IMHO.
The MB was free the case was 30 bucks.
The RAM was 100 bucks so all in all not a bad Goodwill build.

I plan to crossfire it with some RX570's I maybe mad but I have a good feeling about this FX 8300 Chip. Yeah it's been out and tested to the hilt yet even today it still holds relevance and has a lot of usefulness IMHO.

Last edited:
fx still has a place in life, they are so hard to kill.
my show piece/storage box sports a water cooled FX 9590 @over 5.0ghz, and looks sooooo damned good doing it to boot!!!!!!
(just don't pair it with much more that a 970 or 980).

An 8 core FX will do 95% of what 90% of PC users do, IMO. And, as CD said, you almost can't kill 'em, so they'll be viable for a long time in things like home servers, grandma's FB box, etc.. And backup rigs.

Trick a nice HD7970 would be a perfect pair for that cpu. Better yet, a pair of them in crossfire. If you want, I know a guy. HMU

I plan to crossfire it with some RX570's I maybe mad but I have a good feeling about this FX 8300 Chip.
Certainly it will perform well (60 fps+) but there would be a glass ceiling on performance...no matter how good of a feeling you have.

Those chips dont drive multiple GPUs well...at 1080p you want all the cpu horsepower you can get for best results. That said a single 570 would just fine at 1080p. I wouldn't spend the money on 570s with that cpu at 1080p.

Back