• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first FX build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, one RX 580 or, better yet, a good deal on a used GTX 1070. I got one for cheap from an OCF member, and one sold in our Classifieds for $235 fairly recently.

Trick a nice HD7970 would be a perfect pair for that cpu. Better yet, a pair of them in crossfire. If you want, I know a guy. HMU

Oh man that would be so amazing. I just don't know if I will be able to afford it or anything any more (I am getting old and things are breaking down.) I go to see my doctor tomorrow Hope it is good news.

unless its one hundred for the pair I doubt I can get it now might have to wait till things get better.

I have to say this for the System it rocks. And it would be amazing fun to crossfire it just to max it out. I have the biggest CPU the MB can take (before melt down) the fastest DDR3 RipJaws Ram the MB can take and just to make it the best it can be it would be nice to Crossfire/SLI.
I know it's not going to win any speed records or blast anything new out of the way, It is just a nice gamer at a sweet price. (so far)

As much as I hate to recommend it, downclocking to canned food for some time will run your budget on a slight turbo boost..
I know Alaric would back this idea.

:chair:

I've been known to.... Don't know if I'd recommend it, but it hasn't killed me yet. :D RGB Toes helps out on that score, too. Next month I have to replace my storage drive, pick up another ODD, and another (or two) SSD boot drive(s). Three if I can swing it. I need one for W10 and the benching rig. And I need a CPU waterblock and a pond pump and tubing and a 32-48 qt. cooler and.......you get the idea. LOL

edit: And a pump and waterblock and fittings for RGB Toes' cooling loop I still haven't finished and....

Oh man that would be so amazing. I just don't know if I will be able to afford it or anything any more (I am getting old and things are breaking down.) I go to see my doctor tomorrow Hope it is good news.

unless its one hundred for the pair I doubt I can get it now might have to wait till things get better.

I have to say this for the System it rocks. And it would be amazing fun to crossfire it just to max it out. I have the biggest CPU the MB can take (before melt down) the fastest DDR3 RipJaws Ram the MB can take and just to make it the best it can be it would be nice to Crossfire/SLI.
I know it's not going to win any speed records or blast anything new out of the way, It is just a nice gamer at a sweet price. (so far)

PM sent

Yeah me too! :clap:
Sad thing is I just found out I have skin cancer and that well kinda suck's now I have to get biopsies and surgeries to get this off my arm.
Now I wished I would have just went hog wild when I had the money and built the Rysen 3 1300x system. Should have maxed the card out!
I am now going to sink into some depression for a bit while I contemplate my mortality!
At least I got the systems built and running.

Very sorry to hear that Trickson. Best of luck to you with the surgeries. I've had family members go through different cancer treatments. None of them are easy, but they have gotten it down pretty well. Keep you head up. You'll be fine.

temp.jpg

I wanted to see what the temps where after running the CPU V-core at 1.5v in bios and at 4.4GHz. so I ran the test again this time with the control center open (only a 30 min run) and well the V8 cooler looks very impressive to me didn't even break 56*!!!! Looks like there is a massive amount of v-drop and my 3.3 volt rail is going out. Although when testing the PSU with my test meter it reads 3.3 volts so I don't know what to believe, all the rails test out perfectly fine as a matter of fact must be some glitch in the software, not sure any way...
Any one know how the v-core is dropping off the 1.5 volts listed in bios? It would seem If I can actually have a steady 1.5 volts I could get that 4.5GHz on this Air cooler the Cooler master V8 GTS is a monster!

P.S. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Looks like there is a massive amount of vdrope and my 3.3 volt rail is going out.
Vdroop.

And why do you think it is going out? First, software is notoriously inaccurate so I wouldn't say anything without first vertifying with a DMM. Second, specification for the major rails is 5%. If you do the math, you'll see that range is 3.135 - 3.465V. So assuming the software is correct in the first place, you are still well within specification.

Any one know how the vcore is dropping off the 1.5 volts listed in bios? It would seem If I can actually have a steady 1.5 volts I could get that 4.5GHz on this Air cooler the Cooler master V8 GTS is a monster!
That is vdroop...You should be able to mitigate those effects by using Load Line Calibration (LLC) a function that should be in the BIOS somewhere.

LOL I know my spelling does suck. And ok that is the one thing I did not check THANKS! (LLC) is set to auto? I'm changing that.
Again Thank You this is now getting interesting....

trickson what is the LLC set at? You can try changing it and see if it will help. That said, if it cannot be mitigated with the LLC, I imagine the Vrm section is struggling with Fx 83xx on board.

trickson what is the LLC set at? You can try changing it and see if it will help. That said, if it cannot be mitigated with the LLC, I imagine the Vrm section is struggling with Fx 83xx on board.

I looked around for the LLC and I could only find one other CPU voltage adjustment in the BIOS and that is the CPU-NB voltage. I am going to give a bump to the CPU voltage just a tad see if that helps. From the looks of my temps and the massive V8 cooler I should be fine for a test at 1.55 vcore. see if I can get 4.5Ghz!

I looked around for the LLC and I could only find one other CPU voltage adjustment in the BIOS and that is the CPU-NB voltage. I am going to give a bump to the CPU voltage just a tad see if that helps. From the looks of my temps and the massive V8 cooler I should be fine for a test at 1.55 vcore. see if I can get 4.5Ghz!

If it were me, I'd get a hold of the V droop first. You may be able to overclock it higher, without additional voltage and/or lower the voltage. That is "if" you can get the voltage more steady.

If it were me, I'd get a hold of the V droop first. You may be able to overclock it higher, without additional voltage and/or lower the voltage. That is "if" you can get the voltage more steady.

I went through (I think) the manual for his motherboard, and it wasn't at all helpful. Unless it's in the pop up menu under Overclocking>CPU voltage (pop up menu) I didn't see anything that might lead to LLC. The manual is here https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970AG45.html#down-manual if someone else wants to have a go.

I went through (I think) the manual for his motherboard, and it wasn't at all helpful. Unless it's in the pop up menu under Overclocking>CPU voltage (pop up menu) I didn't see anything that might lead to LLC. The manual is here https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970AG45.html#down-manual if someone else wants to have a go.

Nope there is nothing.
Funny how MB companies put all kinds of tweaks in there BIOS yet there so called manual has less information in it than an IKEA manual! Unbelievable, It seems like pure laziness on there part.

Back