• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i have decided to just buy a new motherboard.

i was wondering if anyone can suggest me a motherboard that can replace the Asrock Extreme4 z77 i had in my case.

i was planning on going with MSI, but i dont know if intel would also be good.

I have put together two extreme 6 builds without an issue in last week...I think its a good board!

Much more trouble from my MSI board really, the bios is mature at least...

I have put together two extreme 6 builds without an issue in last week...I think its a good board!

Much more trouble from my MSI board really, the bios is mature at least...

mine only lasted 5 months and then died. i was expecting it to slowly die after 5 years.

ANYWAY here are some boards i plan to get

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Cros...c&ie=UTF8&qid=1363545041&sr=1-21&keywords=z77

MSI Z77A-G43

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-...F8&qid=1363544879&sr=1-2&keywords=socket+1155

an Intel Z77 motherboard. dunno if it will overclock though. just want to get my 4.2ghz since im getting a new heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121605

Last edited:
Did you rma the board ?

i have asked for an RMA, but i havent gotten a reply yet. still want to get a STABLE board. like intel. but ill give a third chance to asrock. if this board screws up, ill consider that i got my moneys worth and move on to an intel board.

I like both the UD5H and the UD3H from Giga. I'm having some issues with my current board again with it's locking up in the UEFI Bios. I can't tweak anything in advanced mode of the UEFI bios, but in basic 3D mode I can but limited.

I'm leaning towards getting an open box from the egg.

im becoming doubtful of which motherboard to choose. i have a feeling that it will fail on me again and then i have to be stuck with an old computer i have laying around here.

has anybody used the intel boards? i just want to overclock the CPU a bit. not interested in overclocking the ram or anything. but i have also read some bad reviews on the intel boards not being that great.

i just cant decide on which one to buy. i just want to have a computer that i can use for at least 5 years or more.

Realistically there are no guarantees. It all amounts to what your budget is and what you feel comfortable with. All brands have their good points and bad ones. Trust me, I've had my share of both.

I like Gigabyte, but like you I need my pc. I have an old relic P4 s478 as a back-up machine. Stick to what works with you.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a UD3H and send my current board in for RMA.

If you want to overclock, then get a board you know has overclocking features. Don't get a board that you're guessing has them.

Gigabyte or Asus are the two you should look at.

or upgrade your E4 to an E6 and call it a day... seems to be everyones recommendation these days :)

or upgrade your E4 to an E6 and call it a day... seems to be everyones recommendation these days :)

...no. the E4 had enough ports for me. it was a baord that had what i needed. but now its dead and im having a feeling that it will happen a third time.

does anyone have the E4? how long has it lasted for you? for me, it lasted 6 months and then began to power on and off and now its not even working right with both cards installed and does much worse without the graphics cards.

Sounds like you just had some bad luck with ASRock allot of people in the forms have the same board with no problems.

There are allot of the ASRock Extreme 4 boards in the forms and I have been on the forms since the 1155 socket came out and the only complaints I have seen for that board was for the USB and now they have a Bios update for that problem.

i have asked for an RMA, but i havent gotten a reply yet.

no way....
you caught the sickness I had :rain:

edit
ASRock is like a Asus younger dumber brother. (kind of)
look into a asus board if you want a ASRock like mobo but with a bit more reliably.
Gigabyte is grate. I'd stay away form EVGA if I were you. Everything I bought form them dies, fast. (other then my fx5900)

Last edited:
no way....
you caught the sickness I had :rain:

edit
ASRock is like a Asus younger dumber brother. (kind of)
look into a asus board if you want a ASRock like mobo but with a bit more reliably.
Gigabyte is grate. I'd stay away form EVGA if I were you. Everything I bought form them dies, fast. (other then my fx5900)

what about intel and MSI?

i have asked for an RMA, but i havent gotten a reply yet. still want to get a STABLE board. like intel. but ill give a third chance to asrock. if this board screws up, ill consider that i got my moneys worth and move on to an intel board.
I would imagine they will RMA... Intel isnt any better (or worse). Most stay away from Intel in the enthusiast segment really...

I vote xtreme 6. Its made with better parts... more robust power area, though the Giga board listed is solid. I would go up a level on the MSI. :thup:

Grate form we have here!

i am starting to consider the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4h.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128583

reviews on it are saying nice tings about it so ill give that one a shot. it also features "Ultra Durable" so i guess its a "hard to wiggle" board that dosent even flex. or maybe its just soldered very well.

as for the Extreme6...i dont know. it comes with more ports that i use...i dont see how "Its made with better parts... more robust power are". i would only believe you if you have used and had it for more than 6 months yourself.

sorry, but i get this way when im dealing with anything that is over 100 dollars.

UDurable has nothing to do with how the board... ehh, wiggles. Read the marketing hype.. err info about what it means on the website.

As far as the extreme 6, read a review on it (there was a random review posted here that explains it as well). I wasnt showering you with opinions I was hosing you down with facts. There are more power phases, and the hardware used in those areas are better than the Extreme 4. Most boards come with more ports than one can use (dont understand why you said that).

EDIT (found it!): http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722124

UDurable has nothing to do with how the board... ehh, wiggles. Read the marketing hype.. err info about what it means on the website.

As far as the extreme 6, read a review on it (there was a random review posted here that explains it as well). I wasnt showering you with opinions I was hosing you down with facts. There are more power phases, and the hardware used in those areas are better than the Extreme 4. Most boards come with more ports than one can use (dont understand why you said that).

EDIT (found it!): http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722124

just got a reply from asrock. they asked for what happened. i told them what was going on and what i did to make sure it was the board.

and since i saw the review, i also told them that this will be the second time im replacing the Extreme4 and asked if i could replace it with an Extreme6 and that im willing to pay extra in order to do so.

if this board becomes irreplaceble or if the extreme6 doesnt turn out well then ill go ahead and buy the gigabyte board.

Back