• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrPoofyPants

Hi all,
So I have a computer that is completely shutting down when under a load. Ran a speedfan test and the only anomaly is in the -12V reading.
At idle it reads from -9.89 to -10.06, as soon as a game is launched it bounces all over until it reads -0.1 and then it crashes. I have not manually checked these readings with a multi-meter but there is definitely something wrong here. I have no idea where to proceed from here so any assistance or suggestions at all would be appreciated.
Log is attached.

Computer specs are
-GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
-CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 PSU
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
-Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
-Secondary HD, WD 500GB
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 GPU

Attachments

• post.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 39
  • SFLog20140909.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Are you measuring voltage with software?
If so, use a multimeter instead. Software readings of PSU voltages are mediocre at best.

Edit: Also, how old is the PSU?
Edit2: Is it crashing under CPU load, GPU load, or both?

Thanks for the replies.

I do not have the ability at the moment to test with another PSU, but I have put a ticket in with Corsair to see what they say. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Measurements were taken with software (Speedfan), I agree that a multimeter test would be ideal but I am actually troubleshooting this over the phone with a family member so what I can do is a bit limited.

The PSU is maybe 2 yrs old at most and I couldn't say for certain on the load (CPU v GPU). I can say that the crash occurs during the loading portion of our "test game" and does not get to the point where the card actually has to render anything yet.

The temps are fine, well within operating parameters of the hardware. That was originally what we thought the problem was but have ruled it out.

Just trying to rule out everything, do you know exactly what the Socket and Package temps were? If they were below 55c where sometimes the Phenoms would get a little wonky, then it's likely not an issue. Sounds like a multimeter test would be the best bet.

Thought it would be helpful to upload the full log. I added "SFLog20140909.txt" to the original post. So pending a multimeter test, the consensus seems to be a PSU issue. Ill see if I can arrange to do a PSU swap like ninjacore suggested and see if that helps any.

Sorry a lot of us can't or wont click on outside links. You can open it and take a screes shot, then host it to the forum using the in forum tool.
how to attach photos.PNG

You can pick up a digital multimeter cheap for like 20 bux or less. Check this out . More than enough for your needs and you don't have to go broke buying one :)

Hell I bought a DMM from radio shack and it cost me 9 bux! Now I got like 3 of them around.

Thanks, nothing really sticks out, the temps are a bit warm but not likely to be causing an issue. Only think that I would suggest is to either just have them buy a new quality Psu or a multimeter and test the Cx.

Back